Small ancient coin with sun - ID? [solved]

11 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hello,
I'm not even sure about its authenticity but can anyone identify this old coin/token? May be Roman or Greek but I have no idea (it was among a lot I bought on eBay). Any clue would be appreciated!

diameter: 10mm
weight: 1g
metal: unknown (possibly bronze?)

Twopence a week, and jam every other day!
Just to start the discussion, it looks somewhat similar to this coin, though your helmeted bust is facing the other way.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/23/41/ac/2341acb6dd1ee5f2aaeeede638c99b10.png

described as Greek Cyprus, Salamis, Evagoras II, ca 361-351 BC, silver obol, Athena wearing crested helmet, rev. star of 8 rays. It's not this coin, but perhaps this will at least get into the ballpark.
Oh! It does look similar, save for the number of rays and (probably) material. At first I thought the symbol might be the Vergina Sun but I'm not sure it had ten rays. I guess I'll keep looking a bit more – thank you for the help!
Hello! That´s not the Euagoras II issue from Salamis. The forming of the star with the rays is different.

Couldn´t find any clues, but both Crete - Itanos and Thessaly - Rhizous have similar coins. But all of the coins i found were with the helmeted female head (Athena maybe) facing left and not right.
Referee for Ancient Greece,  Norway and the Kingdom of Cyprus
That's interesting! Maybe it's a crudely made contemporary counterfeit from somewhere? I'm thinking if it was a modern fake it wouldn't be so hard to identify, at any rate.
Considering the style of the head of Athena, and the star on the reverse, it's very close to the coinage of Pergamon during the III or the II cent. BC.
It's probably a chalkon or a hemi-chalkon.
I looked through all the Ancient Greek coins on Numista and some on other sites, and yeah, I think you're right! The ones from Mysia look very similar. Only I can't find the right star/sun with 10 rays!
Here you are :
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=550828

The writtings seem to match

Only 9 rays, but your coins must be a variety.
​​

Quite an interesting coin finally
Thank you so much! I think this is it, though, yeah, all the coins from Troas that I can find have either 8 or 9 rays. Maybe mine is an error (one of the rays, the one on the right, looks smaller than the others), or crude contemporary counterfeit after all. The Troas coins themselves seem to be rather rare so I guess that may explain why it was so hard to identify!
Nice! Just created a page for it on Numista, although a bit heavier issue than the one you have.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces151961.html
Referee for Ancient Greece,  Norway and the Kingdom of Cyprus
I think I'll consider it solved now. Thank you!!
Status changed to Solved (Cuthwellis, 25-Oct-2018, 09:48)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 07:01.