Scottish hammered halfpenny?

10 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hi, I'm looking for a positive ID and rough estimate of value for the coin pictured below. I think it is Scottish and possibly Alexander III or David II. Pictures of the obv and rev and against a modern 5p piece for scale, found in a field in Lincolnshire.

Hope you can help! Best, Aitch.

Hi Aitch,
Nice find indeed, i think it's Alexander iii as you say, you can just make out the X in Alexander, valuable coin Aitch, not something that turns up very often and very desirable to certain collectors
people talking without speaking, people hearing without listening
Quote: "Iainmac"​Hi Aitch,
​Nice find indeed, i think it's Alexander iii as you say, you can just make out the X in Alexander, valuable coin Aitch, not something that turns up very often and very desirable to certain collectors
​Thanks Iainmac, its a lovely little thing, ive found Edward halfpenny and round farthings before, also a David penny and a couple of saxon pennies but this isne of my fav finds despite some wear and light clipping.
Alexander III, for sure.

We can read "ALEXANDER DEI [GRA]" with "ND" ligated.

Nice coin ! I have a penny from the same ruler, but the top of the coin is missing :snif:
Quote: "Cycnos"​Alexander III, for sure.

​We can read "ALEXANDER DEI [GRA]" with "ND" ligated.

​Nice coin ! I have a penny from the same ruler, but the top of the coin is missing :snif:
​thank you!
Great find 8)
Indeed nice find. I am still waiting to find a coin of Scotland
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
Thanks all for the responses.
Alexander III second coinage dated between 1280-1286
Very nice find and valued between £90 - £325 depending on grading.
Quote: "tony_k_1965"​Alexander III second coinage dated between 1280-1286
​Very nice find and valued between £90 - £325 depending on grading.
​thank you very much!

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 14:51.