French or Portuguese medieval copper [solved]

6 posts
Coin is 26 mm in diameter and weighs 2.86 grams. It was sold as a Portuguese coin, but looking at the numista catalog the closest I can find are 15th century blancs from France. Anyone have any idea of what the coin is?

Any ideas? Maybe someone could post this on the French forum. I think I see fleur-de-lis on the back so it would have to be a French coin.
Now posted on the French site.
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Quote: "Arusak"​Any ideas? Maybe someone could post this on the French forum. I think I see fleur-de-lis on the back so it would have to be a French coin.
​Not necessarily!

Many non-French coins had fleurs de lys on them as heraldic motifs; the fleur de lys was never an official symbol of France as a nation state, but was used as a symbol of the Capetian dynasty and it's branches/claimants.

That's why we can see them on coins from countries such as Spain (1700-1931, 1975-), and Naples/Two Sicilies (until 1860). Both were ruled by monarchs from house of Bourbon, a branch of the Capetian line.
See the link provided by Joe-breuille on the French site. He thinks it's more likely to be a jetton/token than a coin.
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Thanks for the crosspost, and I'm glad to find out what it is.
Status changed to Solved (Arusak, 10-Dec-2018, 16:14)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 22:58.