How to decide on proof coin over unc.

10 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hi all.
I have lots of coins mist are general circ coins. I cleared all my coins and started uploading them all again. I came across a coin that for it's year is perfect and seems frosty. Could this be a proof? There's a proof for that coin and year but the weight and size are the same for both. Any tips?
ARBYS<>ATT!C

eventually ill open a coin/collectible store :0)
I say post a photo of it here so we can judge it.

I've seen dozens of coins in my change that I thought were proofs that had gotten into circulation at first glance but turned out to just be nice UNC coins.
so many times this is being posted on this on the forums.

One identifyier is how sharp the edge of the coin is, a proof coin generally has a razor sharp edge whereas the edge of a regular coin even if uncirculated will not be that sharp.
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
It can be prooflike coin too. Struck with new dies or higher power than usually. Which coin it is?
Proof and unc are the parametres from different areas. Proof is a way of minting while unc is a level of wear
Medieval sets for swap:https://en.numista.com/forum/topic140941.html

My personal list of scammers from Numista: erniemix, yvain, CassTaylor
It is to 99,9999999999% not a proof coin when you retrieved it from circulation
Main Referee for Hutt-River
Quote: "Muenzenhamster"​It is to 99,9999999999% not a proof coin when you retrieved it from circulation
​indeed. I work with cash and picked 2 coins from change in 10 years as impaired (circulated) proof! If you got it in change, it's not a proof. We one time in a million it proof...
I've received two circulated proof US dollar coins as change from vending machines in the past. One Susan B Anthony dollar and one George Washington 1999-S. So it does happen!
I get a few proof coins in change a year. Here are two nickels I have gotten this year.

I have even found Canadian. Here a quarter I just got from gas station, free.

They save all their Canadian coins for me. And gave them to me free or in my change. With the quarter came with two 1 cent coins. I think it odd I am still getting Canadian 1 cent coin a few a month.
It is, what it is, or is it.
Sometimes impaired proofs do get released into circulation by the mint.
HoH

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 09:18.