Menu

Banknote storage ideas...

9 posts
Oklahoman
I'm researching and integrating some new purchases. I think I had mentioned that Canadian Mint monster boxes are an amazing way to store notes. They are rigid, sturdy, and stackable. They also fit a small size holder and a large size holder exactly.
CassTaylor
Definitely look awesome, although I think the rigidness of the banknote sleeves is more important than the boxes they get stored in.

In any case, here's the box in which I store all of mine:

The sleeves aren't uniform; since I only have a limited amount of rigid ones I keep those for my best ones, and of course whenever I buy notes that are already in rigid holders I keep the holders they came in (hence the diversity of labels you can see sticking up, such as from the magnificent CGB in the middle).
currencyNM
I started my collection by using individual plastic holders. That seemed a bit cumbersome so I bought a loose-leaf book and started using plastic pages, but that was getting expensive. I then experimented with binders purchased at Hobby Lobby for about $4 on sale. They will hold 60 pages easily, and when an album gets too large I split it up. I now have 34 albums for 4000 notes. These albums fit nicely in a garage sale bookcase (or you can get one at Ethan Allen if you are not a cheapskate like me).

The album pages are thin plastic sheet protectors from Staples, about $17 for a box of 200. The albums are designed so that the front and back of the note are clearly seen and notes can easily be moved around.

I hope the pics I am uploading work. I am new to this site.

There are more details to explain, and I can discuss them if you are interested in this method.

Frank

I am looking for banknote collectors who want to trade. I have over 500 swap notes.
BCNumismatics
Mylar holders are great for banknotes.

Hopefully,someone has created a Mylar holder that is big enough to fit the largest banknotes - Malaysia's 600 Ringgit notaphilic product,for example.

If anyone has any idea of a supplier who is making the Mylar holders in the various sizes,please do let us know.

I would love to start putting my postal orders into Mylar holders.

Aidan.
Saber82
Quote: "BCNumismatics"​Mylar holders are great for banknotes.

​Hopefully,someone has created a Mylar holder that is big enough to fit the largest banknotes - Malaysia's 600 Ringgit notaphilic product,for example.

​If anyone has any idea of a supplier who is making the Mylar holders in the various sizes,please do let us know.

​I would love to start putting my postal orders into Mylar holders.

​Aidan.
​Send it for grading instead. That is the reason why I never buy these ridiculous size banknotes.
Be kind to people. Sharing is Caring. Collect what you like and not by the Crowd.
To seek for perfection, it is too painful and there is a very high price to pay. To seek for something comfortable is more easy. To seek for nothing is even more easy.
Lotus07
I like the storage box ideas for its organisational advantages, but it makes it difficult to scroll through your collection. Personally I'm more a fan of the Leuchtturm/Lighthouse 300page albums. They cost about 30-40€ and can fit 600 notes if you use them efficiently. I have about 6 of these albums and they work great for large collections. For every album page I cut out a sheet of thin black paper so I can fit twice as many notes on a page. Downside is that you cannot see the back of the note but for the majority of my notes I'm more interested in the front anyway. Also, every page is marked with a number so I can locate notes easily. The Ukrainian 10 Hryvnia note on the top right has the identifier code V.43.1, which means that the note is in album V (five), on page 43, slot 1. As you can see on the second photo, the note is easily found in the excel sheet and vice versa.

"For by telling them of many things without teaching them you will make them seem to know much, while for the most part they know nothing"
-Plato
Lotus07
For all my notes with an odd size (mostly large notes) I use albums with bigger sleeves and with the same system.
"For by telling them of many things without teaching them you will make them seem to know much, while for the most part they know nothing"
-Plato
dkallen78
Am I the only one using a 3-ring binder and BCW 3-note pages?
gyoschak
Quote: "dkallen78"​Am I the only one using a 3-ring binder and BCW 3-note pages?
​I use them too.

I have some pages for sale if anyone is interested.
(Lead Dog 3-pocket and 4-pocket pages, probably 100 of each, will put up a post when I get them all consolidated)

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 12:53AM.