Menu

Weird, damaged & fake coins

Tasukete
Here's another thing I'm really curious about.

Do you know what these weird metal things that are stuck on this coin are, and what it could mean for it's value?

What about the edges on this one?

To me it just seems like someone played around with it, like a few I found that were put on railtracks and got squashed.

And those with holes I understand become worthless, but is this really true?

And what about fake coins? I kept one from when I was a child and was wondering if people collect them... This particular one is rare, in fact I haven't seen another one like it since then, but perhaps it's because the faking process evolved :P

Thanks again for your help!!!
CassTaylor
Hello again,

Those metal things are most likely the vestiges of a solder; the coin was probably once part of a brooch or some other piece of jewellery. For most common coins that destroys it's value to collectors, and even for sought after coins solders lower the value by a whole lot. Although as with anything, if it exists I'm sure there are niche collectors somewhere who might be interested. ;)

Same goes for fake coins, whether modern fakes or contemporary counterfeits; we have a member (Petrus) here who collects both I think.
Une Franglaise; ♪ je brosse ma chevelure ♫
PetrusAscanus
Quote: "CassTaylor"
​Same goes for fake coins, whether modern fakes or contemporary counterfeits; we have a member (Petrus) here who collects both I think.

​indeed
Pictures would be nice :)
Do not kill me if tere is a H missing in my posts. My keyboard is giving up.....
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
Tasukete
Quote: "CassTaylor"​Hello again,

​Those metal things are most likely the vestiges of a solder; the coin was probably once part of a brooch or some other piece of jewellery. For most common coins that destroys it's value to collectors, and even for sought after coins solders lower the value by a whole lot. Although as with anything, if it exists I'm sure there are niche collectors somewhere who might be interested. ;)

​Same goes for fake coins, whether modern fakes or contemporary counterfeits; we have a member (Petrus) here who collects both I think.
​Thanks!!
Topic moved to "Numismatic questions" (ZacUK, 4-Dec-2018, 06:42AM)

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 05:58PM.