Menu

Feature suggestion: List the coin series in the entry

6 posts

This message aims at: suggesting an idea to improve Numista

Display the currency name on coin pages
Votes: 3
QuentinC
Hi everyone,

When you search for a coin, eg I just looked for a Polish 1 złoty from 1990: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/index.php?r=1+Z%C5%82oty+1990&p=1&x=0&y=0

The series information is included in a heading before the listings, eg:

Poland - Third złoty (1949-1994)
100 Groszy = 1 Złoty

However, once you go into a listing, that information is not there, eg:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces19847.html

I think it would be helpful to have those two lines repeated in the listing somewhere for easy reference.

Quentin.
numinis
If you hover over the abbreviation PLZ that is shown in the blue rectangle at the individual coin page, you will see "Third złoty (1949-1994) (Poland)". But the information that 100 Groszy = 1 Złoty is missing and I strongly suggest it to make easily available. With this particular example it is not that hard, but if you want to know that in the Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia in 1815-1862 when the Scudo was used the units were 100 Centesimi = 1 Lira • 6 Lire = 1 Scudo • 40 Lire = 1 Sovrano, it is really difficult to find this information quickly.
ūūūūū
CassTaylor
Agreed, and supported. :`

It must be pretty confusing to the average user unused to complex monetary systems and obscure units, to get their head around an old currency.
QuentinC
Ah I hadn't actually noticed that - I'd seen the full reference title when you hover over it, but hadn't paid enough attention to the monetary unit underline.

Re having the information about sub-units, there are plenty of examples where units have changed over time but with the same or similar names - UK coinage changing over to decimal for instance.
Status changed to Accepted (Xavier, 30-Jan-2019, 10:03PM)
Status changed to Implemented (Xavier, 1-Oct-2019, 10:05PM)
Xavier Site admin
Hello,
The currency is now displayed on coin pages.
QuentinC
Thanks Xavier, looks great!

I appreciate all you do for the community.

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 01:35PM.