Coin flaw?

8 posts
I have the coin in the picture. 2004 British pound coin depicting the Forth bridge.

As you can see from the photos (hopefully) the edge is not decorated with the correct pattern. Is this a flaw in the milling process?
Hi D15799 and welcome to the forum.
It's always helpful to also include photos showing each side of the coin in its entirety.
As a starting point, first check to make sure that the coin's patterned reeded edge hasn't been removed by someone who has too much time on their hands. It should weigh 9.5 g and have a diametre of 22.5 mm.
Hi, thank you for your reply. It appears to weigh approximately 11g. The outer edge is larger than the inner, providing a lip around the edge of the coin. It also appears slightly rounded.
It certainly doesn't appear as if anything has been removed.
thanks

I think the clothes dryer theory most closely matches that appearance.
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
Is it also not a little bit thicker than usual, or is that only my imagination?
...you can run,  but you can't hide...
The piece in question appears to be approx 1.5g overweight which would make it a reproduction/counterfeit.
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon.

Coin catalogue referee for England, United Kingdom & pre-Union South Africa.
Banknote catalogue referee for England & United Kingdom.
Quote: "Mr. Midnight"​I think the clothes dryer theory most closely matches that appearance.
​That was my first thought too when I saw the pictures. But this theory doesn't explain the overweight, so I'm afraid I have to go for my second thought, the same as radrick007, and go for a counterfeit.
Quote: "Essor Prof"
Quote: "Mr. Midnight"​I think the clothes dryer theory most closely matches that appearance.
​​That was my first thought too when I saw the pictures. But this theory doesn't explain the overweight, so I'm afraid I have to go for my second thought, the same as radrick007, and go for a counterfeit.
​These coins were taken out of circulation in 2017 because there were so many counterfeits. For that reason you might consider it cool to keep that coin in your collection. On Wikipedia it says the round pounds remain legal tender on the Isle of Man.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_pound_(British_coin)
Besides coins I love geometry. The avatar consists of each of the 35 hexominoes used precisely once. With the 5 large yellow shapes placed like this, the solution for tiling the remaining 30 hexominoes is unique.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 17:40.