Menu

How can I remove this paint/ dirt?

Jakob05
Hey,

How can I remove this paint/ dirt?

Thanks in advance,
Jakob

alfred1
an acetone dip will dissoive paint and dirt without damaging the patina of the coin
we do not own our coins, we are merely guardians of them for future generations.
Jakob05
Oke thanks!
silver_smith
Does that not damage the coin?
Does that work with all metals? Even silver or gold?
Mr. Midnight
yes, you can not harm any metal with acetone, and it will dissolve the most tenacious gunk. it will also dissolve common plastics, so use glass or metal dishes!

It is very hard on the brain cells, however, use with proper ventilation!:snif:
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
Merv
How long can I leave a coin in Acetone? Is it ok to leave it overnight?
Mr. Midnight
Quote: "Merv"​How long can I leave a coin in Acetone? Is it ok to leave it overnight?
​yes. over night is more the sufficient to soften the hardest asphalt, and cannot do any harm to the metal.

edit to add reinforcement to the statement about ventilation. Acetone will DISOLVE YOUR BRAIN too, so put it in the garage or someplace outside, or seal the soaking bath properly. Do not smell the acetone for more than one or two seconds together.
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
Kurt53
Acetone is good stuff, but there are warnings that go with it.
As noted, not good to inhale. Not good for eyes. It's a solvent.
Flammable. Use caution around heat sources and open flames.
Will damage some plastics very quickly. Clear the desk of other projects when using. Especially true of some plastic tokens and nearly all TPG coin holders.
It doesn't reverse time and corrosion, but it will remove damaging contamination like oils and salts, without removing time earned patina.
I enjoy coin conservation, and though it is often a multistep process, I always begin with acetone.
Available in the US for about $6/quart or $16/gallon at chain stores (Walmart etc.)
Us only the pure stuff. Nail polish remover is mostly acetone, but has oils to soften the skin and perfumes.

A smart man learns from his mistakes.  A smarter man learns from someone else's.

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 10:15PM.