Additions to your collection - the January 2019 edition

» Quick access to the last post

Subha Barua
Happy New Year to everyone!
Got another new coin
British India - 1/4 1835
The filament
Tempus fugit...
Above everything is time that can't be traced but time flies!
johnspa

1) Colombia 1821 8 Reales
2)Chile 1895 Peso.
3)Peru 1848, 8 Reales
4)Chile 1880, Peso.
5)Ghana 1958, 10 Shillings.
6)Chile 1927, 2 Pesos.
7)Ceylon 1908, 1 Cent.
8)Straits and Settlements, 1901, 1/4 Cent.

I also picked up another 1877 Chile Peso, if anybody is interested in acquiring it.
ashlobo Numista team
My first coins of 2019

Outings administrator
CassTaylor
The first 2019 additions to my collection have arrived too, and looks like I'm starting the year off on the right foot:

1932 R San Marino 20 Lire
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces24563.html
Pro tip, always befriend your coin dealers; I paid an extremely reasonable price, of well under 50 euro, for this lovely coin! This type was struck on the same unusual planchets their contemporary "Littore" 20 lire coins of Italy are also struck on, and it has a mintage of only 10,000 too. :8D

Also a few military medals, the silver one, issued for French troops in the Second War of Italian Unification (1859), is missing its ribbon (I've ordered a replacement on Ebay), while the other one is the Italian WWI Inter-Allied Victory Medal; I already had the French and British medals, and I've decided to look for the rest of them now.

And finally an old Italian 10 Lire note dating from 1892; again gotten for an outrageously low price, less than 20 euro:
une Franglaise; ♪ je brosse ma chevelure ♫
SpuDy

Algeria: 20 Centimes (FAO)
Argentina: 10 Centavos
Brazil: 1 Cruzeiro
50 Centavos
Hong Kong: 5 Dollars
Cuba: 20 Centavos
1 Peso
Denmark: 20 Kroner
Ecuador: 10 Centavos
Germany : 10 Rentenpfennig
Indonesia: 25 Rupiah
1000 Rupiah (I Gusti Ketut Pudja)
Mexico: 20 Centavos
5 Pesos
10 Centavos (small type)
50 Centavos (small type)
Morocco: 20 Santima
New Zealand: 20 Cents
Norway: 2 Øre - Haakon VII
5 Øre - Haakon VII
5 Øre - Haakon VII
1 Krone - Haakon VII
20 Kroner - Harald V (Supreme Court)
Paraguay: 50 Guaraníes
100 Guaraníes
Russia: 2 Rubles
10 Rubles (Gorokhovets, Vladimir region (1168))
Singapore: 5 Cents
Spain: 100 Pesetas - Juan Carlos I (Teatro Real)
200 Pesetas - Juan Carlos I (Madrid European Capital of Culture)
Uruguay: 2 Pesos Uruguayos
Uzbekistan: 50 Soʻm
100 Soʻm
200 Soʻm
500 Soʻm
Yugoslavia: 1 Dinar
Choucas
I'm very happy today cause I just received a long-wanted type. I purchased it last year... well 4 days ago. (8

I've been looking forward to find one in a decent condition that fits into my budget for more than a year and here it is. The legends are fully readable, the mint (Bruxelles, angel's head) and date readable, the planchet is quite regular for the type, the lion looks good and it has some eye-appeal. These escalins are common but often struck poorly and partially readable. It's obviously not the ideal specimen, but I believe the price (25€ including shipping) was fair regarding its condition (i'd say a good F?).

Seller's pic

Looks very good in hand :love:
Mr. Midnight
two interesting Mexican coppers with different eagles

km#s 391.6 and 393
L'argent autrefois n'était pas tout, on admettait des supériorités qui le primaient. Il y
avait la noblesse, le talent, les services ; mais aujourd'hui la foule fait de l'argent un étalon général, elle l'a pris pour base de la capacité ! -Balzac
alfonz
Got some nice new silver gems for my collection:

Siam - 2 Salung 1921 - King Rama VI

Albania - 1 Frang 1935 - King Zog I

Spain - 50 Centimos 1926 - King Alfonso XIII (oldest portrait)

Also two damaged but still awesome German coins for gained quite cheap:

Prussia - 1 Thaler 1861 - Krönungsthaler King Wilhelm I

Bavaria - 5 Mark 1875 - King Ludwig II
CassTaylor
Some more nice Italian stuff this week for me! :8D

First, this 1936 10 Lire "Imperatore":

This new design was launched in 1936 as part of a re-design of all Italian coins after Mussolini's conquest of Ethiopia the same year; the title "Imperatore" (Emperor [of Ethiopia]) was added to VEIII's titles on the obverse. Still looking for the "Familia" 5 Lire to complete the fascist-era circulating silver types!

Another interwar 10 Lire, this one from the Vatican- nothing too special.

My favourite coin acquisition this week; this is a 2 lire issued in Florence in 1860, in the midst of the Risorgimento. At the time Florence (Tuscany) and the surrounding regions had just been annexed via plebiscite to Sardinia-Piedmont in the aftermath of the Second War of Italian Independence, so this coin, minted for the newly annexed provinces, bears the title "Re Eletto".

At just 19 euro, not bad (even if it did once have a solder on the edge that I only noticed when I went to inspect and purchase the coin in person at Moruzzi) at all! This coin has a 89 NRI, and a R2 rating in the Gigante catalogue, and I am nonetheless proud to have it in my collection.
:love:

And also some Italian banknotes:

5 Lire from 1874, the first issue of government banknotes from a unified Italy. Dealer gave it away for free because it was torn into two, but a bit of tape and I still have a nice old banknote.

Also this set of January 1918 provisional banknotes from 5 centesimi to 20 lire (Missing the rarer 100 and 1000 lire notes!), that were issued during the Austro-Hungarian occupation of northern Veneto after Italy's retreat at the Battle of Caporetto in late 1917.

And finally, two giant Italian banknotes (both around 240x125mm!), the 5000 and 10,000 Lire "Repubbliche Marinare" notes, issued in 1955 and 1949 respectively. Normally prohibitively expensive, but I got this shabbier pair for only 30 euro each from a friend, and added to my collection two of the most beautiful Italian banknote issues ever. :love:

The reclining personifications are of Venice (left) and Genoa (right), hence the name of the series.

Last but not least, two more Italian military medals from WWI:
(that I was inspired to get by visiting the Museo del Risorgimento in the Vittoriano yesterday)

CassTaylor
I went to the flea market at the Porta Portese yesterday; most of the stalls were selling second hand clothes, shoes (bought a new pair of trainers for 20 euro!), etc. but there were a few shops selling coins. Not more than four or five out of about 150 though, so I wouldn't say this place is worth visiting if you're after coins (there's only one dealer who had any silver at all) but I still got some nice things:

Two silvers only; but at an unbeatable price, the silver rupee has been polished to hell and back but I got it for literally melt value (5 euro), while the José Marti Peso is pretty common, but hard to find one that isn't overpriced (I saw many being sold around 30-45 euro, while I got mine for less than 20).

I have officially begun collecting pre-WWII Vatican City coins as well, after getting a few nickel 1930s Pius XI coins today (I also got a regular issue 50 centesimi, in addition to the 1933 Jubilee type posted above).

And finally, one more Italian military medal from WWI:

Most historians today agree the Risorgimento ended in 1870 with the capture of Rome, but the reverse of the medal showcases the perspective of Italian nationalists of the time, some of whom viewed Italy's participation in WWI against Austria-Hungary in the Alps as the "Fourth" War of Italian Unification.

My medal came with a certificate of issue too, dated 21 Luglio (July) 1922:

Group photo:
LEÓNIDÁS
Thaler of Ferdinand III, 1652. Wien mint. ♥♥♥
Choucas
Beautiful!!!
johnspa
Quote: "LEÓNIDÁS"​Thaler of Ferdinand III, 1652. Wien mint. ♥♥♥
​Beautiful coin!!
loruca
Quote: "CassTaylor"​The first 2019 additions to my collection have arrived too, and looks like I'm starting the year off on the right foot:

1932 R San Marino 20 Lire
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces24563.html
​Pro tip, always befriend your coin dealers; I paid an extremely reasonable price, of well under 50 euro, for this lovely coin! This type was struck on the same unusual planchets their contemporary "Littore" 20 lire coins of Italy are also struck on, and it has a mintage of only 10,000 too. :8D

​Also a few military medals, the silver one, issued for French troops in the Second War of Italian Unification (1859), is missing its ribbon (I've ordered a replacement on Ebay), while the other one is the Italian WWI Inter-Allied Victory Medal; I already had the French and British medals, and I've decided to look for the rest of them now.

​And finally an old Italian 10 Lire note dating from 1892; again gotten for an outrageously low price, less than 20 euro:

WOOO-WEEE?
UNDER 50 euros?
Wow! And it looks like an excellent coin!

w​
I collect anything: If it's Italian or Italian states i collect it even more!
CassTaylor
I thought you'd be more interested in the price I got for my 1860 2 Lire! :°

Yeah, I keep an eye out for good prices, and I seize one when I see one. I'm very proud of some of the prices I was given/found/haggled my way to this time in Italy- guess you could call it the art of the deal. B)

​P.S. Something I've been meaning to ask you, do you collect Italian banknotes as well as coins?
loruca
Quote: "CassTaylor"​I thought you'd be more interested in the price I got for my 1860 2 Lire! :°

​Yeah, I keep an eye out for good prices, and I seize one when I see one. I'm very proud of some of the prices I was given/found/haggled my way to this time in Italy- guess you could call it the art of the deal. B)

​P.S. Something I've been meaning to ask you, do you collect Italian banknotes as well as coins?
​I'm more impressed by the price-condition ratio of the 20 lire, for the 2 lire...
I might have waited for a better coin, the price is excellent, but the condition lascia da desirare! Although they are RARE above XF, decent examples with legitimate circulation can be found at reasonable price points.
I collect anything: If it's Italian or Italian states i collect it even more!
CassTaylor
Quote: "loruca"​=1emthe price is excellent
​That was basically all that was going through my head when I bought it. :8D For me price is the key deciding factor (besides authenticity, of course), and as a type collector condition can take a back seat.

Indeed it was, I'm still surprised that this type, even in this condition was under 20 euro at all. Looking through the archives on lamoneta.it: https://numismatica-italiana.lamoneta.it/passaggi/W-REE/11-0?k=2 it seems like someone got this type back in 2013 for a little under 30 euro, but their coin is far more worn, as well as being deliberately modified to look like the Kingdom issue (although less water damage and no solder vestige).

But both our coins' prices seem to be the exception rather than the norm, since the next cheapest one there is 66 euro, followed by 92 euro.
SpuDy
Last week additions to my collection:

1 Kreuzer - Nassau, Duchy of
2 Pfenninge - Prussia, Kingdom of

1 Pfennig - German Democratic Republic
3 Qəpik - Azerbaidjan
10 Lira - Turkey
20 Tolarjev - Slovenia
1 Koruna - Czechoslovakia

1 Hryvnia - Ukraine
1 Pfennig - German Democratic Republic
5 Pfennig - German Democratic Republic
2 Euro - Italy, Torino Olyimpcs
2 Euro - Lithuania, Song and Dance Celebration

1 Real - Brazi, Olympic Games Rio 2016 - Paratriathlon
1 Franc Guinéen - Guinea
5 Fils - South Arabia
10 Baht - Thailand, Rama IX (IASAJ)
5 Rubles - Russia, Baltic Operation
5 Rubles - Russia, The Wisla-Oder Operation
10 Centimes - Monaco
10 Baht - Thailand, Rama IX (Birthday)
¼ Dollar - USA ''Washington Quarter'' (Frederick Douglass National Historic Site, District of Columbia)
20 Cents - Solomon Islands
2 Francs - Reunion
20 Cents - Asutralia, International Women's Day

10 Centimes - French Notgled
5 Rappen - Switzerland
Moneytane
Norway - 20 and 10 Kroner coins 1995 and 2000
1 Krone - 1991
25 Ore 1962 and 1979

Russia - Steel rouble set 1992/93 - 1, 5, 10, 20 and 50 rouble coins
USSR - 1, 2, 3, 5, 10,15, 20 Kopecks all dated 1961 or 1962 except 1982 5 kopecks and 1974 3 Kopeka

South Africa - 1934 Penny GVF and 1940 ½d VF,
I love change coins and old coins, but my main focus is stamp collecting and the Muscial God - Prince
Moneytane

And I bought 3 of these beauties, just nice designed coins and so cheap.

And about to take possession of this lot. Not a bad set, the Poltnik (50 Kopeck is worn) but the rouble is decent and the lower silver coins are stunning.

I love change coins and old coins, but my main focus is stamp collecting and the Muscial God - Prince
CassTaylor
Still a few more big silver coins coming into my collection, I'm still riding the holidays' spending wave!

The Marburg 3 Mark was already posted in December, but I received it and removed the pin today.
January First-of-May
Bought an insane amount of random world paper money from a nice dealer at the Izmaylovo Vernisage on January 5th.

Most of it was from the 10 ruble (~15 cent) bargain bins, but a few notes were more expensive than that. In total I paid 1500 rubles ($23 or thereabouts).

There are way too many to take photos of all of them (I'm talking 70+ notes here), so instead, here's a map of the represented countries - click on the thumbnail to see it better...

Color meaning: blue - 1, green - 2, yellow - 3, orange - 4 or 5. Red was supposed to be 6+, but I don't think it ever came up. Doubles not counted (there were a few, bought for swapping). Counts might be slightly off.

Not pictured: Biafra, Serbian Krajina (one each), Yugoslavia (about half a dozen). A note from the United Arab Republic was counted for Egypt.
Also not pictured, but might be added later: whatever I already have (most of it was misplaced anyway).

Some Indonesian islands are missing because I couldn't find East Timor anywhere and wasn't sure which islands were Indonesian and which weren't.
(I do have a note from there - well, from Portuguese Timor, anyway - but it was bought much earlier.)
Other islands might be missing because I didn't realize they were the same country.
sc.rednek
Went with some friends to a flea market about an hour drive from my house, came home with these

And this thing. I can't find it in the Numista catalog but it's all over on the internet. Should I add it under "tokens"?

https://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins.pl?coin=14728
Mr. Midnight
Ha! I remember those Nixon pennies!

Ive added some pre-decimal Irish pieces
L'argent autrefois n'était pas tout, on admettait des supériorités qui le primaient. Il y
avait la noblesse, le talent, les services ; mais aujourd'hui la foule fait de l'argent un étalon général, elle l'a pris pour base de la capacité ! -Balzac
LEÓNIDÁS
Two 1 oz UK investment coins.

Maria Theresia poltura 1763 KM

Franz Joseph I 10 Kreuzer 1869.
ZacUK Numista team, Moderator
Only one addition so far this month ...

'Unusual coin - Obv: Edward VII Penny - Rev: Victoria Gothic Florin'

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces857.html = 1 Penny 30.8 mm
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces4840.html = 1 Florin 30.0 mm
Described by the seller as 'Almost certainly a unique novelty coin of some age and in neat craftsmanship to marriage a Edward VII bronze penny 1902-1910 with a silver Victoria Gothic Florin 1851-1887.
Just a great numismatic oddity with no great value but good fun conversation piece'.

I got it as I already have two unusual man-made old coins ...
https://en.numista.com/forum/topic67533.html#p549489
https://en.numista.com/forum/topic63218.html#p515949
My collections >
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=13560800
also 13750057 also 15924495 also 15995337
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=16060326
Roublizer

Other than "roubles" floating upwards and heavy dings on the reverse, I'm happy to finally have this coin.

Unless its fake that is, but from what I've looked at I'm sure its authentic, and I would really appreciate any information that proves it either way. I only ask as I've heard there are plenty of counterfeits on the market, and that they even find their way into slabs on occasion.
Buying gold and electrum coins 700bc-1950ad
Muenzenhamster is a healthy part of our community and should not be censored
XRY-478
I think I have started the year quite well with these goodies.

I won these on a bid for $8 AUD at my local coin club auction.

I bought this set at the same auction for another $8 AUD after it was turned in with no bids.

These came in a sale from New Zealand with our very own Neil.

And this is the latest addition to my slowly growing box collection.
Hand made and stained it was completed yesterday and now holds all my common excesses coins that aren't in my albums.

» Top of the page

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 07:54AM.