Oldest Christmas coin

7 posts
Today is Orthodox Christmas and I wish You all Merry Christmas my dear friends.
I wanted to select some old coins with Christmas theme for my facebook page..
but could not find which Christmas coins - do You know earlier than 20th century and which is the oldest coin with Christmas theme on it?
yours
David
Interesting topic,

not sure what is the oldest we can find but here one I found which is quite old.
Mostly I seem to find medals. Here a medal from roughly 1660 from the city of Wroclaw/Breslau nowadays Poland depicting the birth of Jesus

Some show also darker times of history, Christmas 1915. Many Chrismas themed medals actually exist that were minted during WW1

This below medal from Hamburg telling about the terrible flood that happened on Christmas eve

Coins diretly I didn't find anything much directly mentioning Christmas, here is one but not very old
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
I can't find any coins commemorating Christmas directly from before the 1980s....

Not really a coin commemorating Christmas per se, but this Saxon gold ducat was first minted on Christmas 1616, so you decide if it counts.

Also, it was apparently named after me- it's known as the "Sophiendukat". :8D
(Honest, 100% true, I swear.) :°
Well the crowns of George V were nicknamed Christmas crowns because of the wreath which reminded people of The festive season. Not quite what you are looking for, but a little factoid nonetheless
Outings administrator
Thank you all my dear friends
your answera are very useful amd interesting!
yoirs
David
Quote: "ashlobo"​Well the crowns of George V were nicknamed Christmas crowns because of the wreath which reminded people of The festive season. Not quite what you are looking for, but a little factoid nonetheless
​According to the Spink's Catalogue of British Coins, they indeed were struck about Christmas time with the purpose of being given as presents. So, arguably, they were "Christmas coins".
Quote: "Bartweegie"
Quote: "ashlobo"​Well the crowns of George V were nicknamed Christmas crowns because of the wreath which reminded people of The festive season. Not quite what you are looking for, but a little factoid nonetheless
​​According to the Spink's Catalogue of British Coins, they indeed were struck about Christmas time with the purpose of being given as presents. So, arguably, they were "Christmas coins".
​thanks for the additional insight. I suspected as much, but I couldn’t find any reliable resource on a quick google search to write it down here!
Outings administrator

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 18:46.