Menu

Half cent 1808 USA fake or not?

mihai.soare
Hello,
I am a little bit confused about this coin. Seems to be in a good shape but some of my friends told me that it's a fake..
P.S. There is also one on the internet and graded with mint error

​​​​​​
Thanks
PetrusAscanus
It is indeed in a 'too good' condition
The value is rather high in that condition, so I suppose replicas/forgeries exist
But it can be real
https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/category/draped-bust-half-cent-1800-1808/653
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
loruca
Better pics required. Some weird aspects, but I wouldn't write it off immediately.
I collect anything: If it's Italian or Italian states i collect it even more!
mihai.soare
Quote: "loruca"​Better pics required. Some weird aspects, but I wouldn't write it off immediately.
​I will take better pics tomorrow when I will have a better camera for it. Thanks
PetrusAscanus
Quote: "loruca"​Better pics required. Some weird aspects, but I wouldn't write it off immediately.
​yes indeed
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
Camerinvs
Look at the wreath on the reverse and compare the position of the leaves in relation to the legend, especially on the left side, and you'll know it's fake. You can look here for the two varieties of the 1808 cent (regular and 8/7 dates). Any differences in the wreath would have been recorded, had there been any.
I free coins from their holders and good wines from their bottles.
mihai.soare
Quote: "Camerinvs"​Look at the wreath on the reverse and compare the position of the leaves in relation to the legend, especially on the left side, and you'll know it's fake. You can look here for the two varieties of the 1808 cent (regular and 8/7 dates). Any differences in the wreath would have been recorded, had there been any.
​Indeed, and also the "8" from date has a small distance from the bust. An authentic one instead, has the "8" merged/alsmost merged to the bust. https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1808-ngc-au-55-draped-bust-half-cent-919613492
mihai.soare
However, I have new pictures to be sure of that.
halfdisme
Perhaps I am too much of an optimist....

It does look too good to be true, and the positions of the legend in comparison to the leaves indicate that this does not match any know die pair.

However, Breen and Cohen list three different die pairs for 1808, and a mintage of 400,000 seems high for just one die pair for the "normal" date.

Weigh the coin, to see if it is within tolerance for the type. Then decide whether it is worth the gamble to have it graded and attributed. Even if it is a replica, the grading service may be to identify who made it. Some of those have value, even as replicas. (You may need to call the grading service, to see what they would do, and how much they will charge.)

Do not assume that we have documented all varieties of the early coins. It is less likely with the half cents, but they are still finding new combinations for the large cents....and I have owned two varieties of U. S. gold coins that were not listed in Breen.
Camerinvs
Another way to go about it is to look for forums discussing fake coins. Here is a discussion about an 1808 ½¢ which was identified as fake. Look at the position of the leaf beside the D of UNITED and compare with yours and the one I linked to.

Compare other features as well, such as the date, fraction, etc.
I free coins from their holders and good wines from their bottles.
halfdisme
You should also examine the edge of the coin, to see if it is correct for the type, with no raised lines.

By U. S. law, more recent fakes should be marked "COPY" on the obverse or reverse. Some earlier replica makers marked the edge of the coin.
mihai.soare
Quote: "halfdisme"​You should also examine the edge of the coin, to see if it is correct for the type, with no raised lines.

​By U. S. law, more recent fakes should be marked "COPY" on the obverse or reverse. Some earlier replica makers marked the edge of the coin.
​The edge is plain with no inscription :(

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 08:10AM.