Marie Kondo - my worst enemy

31 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Recently, my dear wife started watching this Japanese woman named Marie Kondo on Netflix and bought her books. Basically she advocates only keeping things that "spark joy".... being that I am a coin hoarder my wife has been cracking down on me and telling me to get rid of my "garbage"....

Any ideas on how to fight this enemy?

Aaron
I sell my Duplicate or Un-Needed coins on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/str/coinsandmorenj.
Quote: "aaronmgd"Basically she advocates only keeping things that "spark joy".... being that I am a coin hoarder my wife has been cracking down on me and telling me to get rid of my "garbage"....
​Easy- just tell your wife your coins "spark joy".

Mission Accomplished! :O
Tried that. Her response was that things you haven't seen in years dont spark joy....
I sell my Duplicate or Un-Needed coins on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/str/coinsandmorenj.
Well, there's always Plan B: If you can't beat em', join 'em. :O

A few years ago I was basically hoarding coins myself; as in getting as many as possible, no matter the type, condition, etc; but recently I've been trimming the fat off my collection, rounding up modern circulating junk and spending, or exchanging, or shipping them off.

Sounds like something this Marie Kondo would say, but tidying it up really does make one feel much better about their collection; no more 19th century silvers next to euro cents!
I'd recommend bringing up Yoko Ono and her influence on The Beatles. Then toss out the Marie Kondo books.

Fortunately for me it's not an issue, my wife is a collector too. Early porcelain dolls. Those things take up a lot of room and I swear they watch you after dark. Those beady little eyes...
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
It wasn't spawned by Marie Kondo, but I've been in that exact situation. The other party wants you to join their latest kick, and often think that because something doesn't bring them joy it can't bring anyone joy.

You can support your wife without taking on her passion as your own. Just like she can support your passion without taking it on herself.
Quote: "aaronmgd"​Tried that. Her response was that things you haven't seen in years dont spark joy....
​I was told that once. So, I went and got an old photo album with pictures she had not looked at in years. Her argument lost quite a bit of ground after that...

I don't have a problem exchanging coins that don't have a memory attached to them. The good thing is that most of them do remind of something...:)
Quote: "Jasanche"

​I don't have a problem exchanging coins that don't have a memory attached to them. The good thing is that most of them do remind of something...:)
​I recently went through my collection and added how I acquired some of my coins (at least, the ones I remembered) in the "private comments" section- birthday gift, Christmas present, etc... talk about doing scrapbooking on Numista!
I agree with MonaSeaclaid.
Fighting Marie Kondo won't help.
The best you can do is to raise your wife's awareness that you enjoy different things than she does, and that taking your coins would take some joy out of your life.
ūūūūū
Marie Kondo is such a sweet lady, she doesn't mean any harm!

My wife has indeed mentioned once that coin collecting is not exactly in line with Kondoism but as long as it's stored well she tolerates it. Instead I took a look at my wardrobe and took one of my favourite shirts in my hands. It had a stain that was bugging me for some time and that I was unable to get rid of. I looked at the shirt with great respect, felt the fabric and buttons, thanked it for its services and joy it provided me, made a bow and disposed it with a smile.

Do this with persuasion and you'll never hear your wife about your one little hoarding hobby again :-)
Burn the house. Get existential problems. Forget about Kondo.
Catalogue administrator
Keep the coins. Get rid of the wife.
Quote: "jokinen"​Marie Kondo is such a sweet lady, she doesn't mean any harm!

​I have to admit, I'd never even heard of Ms Kondo until today, and everyone seems to be talking about her like she's front page news! (I like to be aware of and on top of current affairs and trends.) :°

Nonetheless she certainly seems to be a very nice person- no ranting or toxicity there, at least!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3VCoY27fFI
Watching Marie Kondo on Netflix did make me feel kinda bad because I'm not an organized person.
Her method seems doable but honestly, I'm not sure if I can keep up :O...I guess it's best not to rush it; just take it one at a time. Sometimes it's the fatigue from rushing that brings you down where you'd might end up quitting halfway.
When I saw the description of her show, I knew it would bring up issues I don't want to deal with, so I've made a concerted effort not to watch her or let my wife watch her. My wife tolerates and even encourages my coin hoarding, but not my other hoarding and general messiness.
Quote: "yusofharun"​Watching Marie Kondo on Netflix did make me feel kinda bad because I'm not an organized person.
​Her method seems doable but honestly, I'm not sure if I can keep up :O...I guess it's best not to rush it; just take it one at a time. Sometimes it's the fatigue from rushing that brings you down where you'd might end up quitting halfway.
​I actually think that Marie's is completely disorganised, following the principle of 'it takes one to know one'. Why would you otherwise make a career in trying to make people organised? Only if you've struggled with it yourself!

Maybe Marie is even a member of Numista!
Well my friend you need to find a half way point. When my wife was alive it was that is nice can we spend it ,or sell it. You don't need all that. Well when she died I went nuts. I still have coins in the dinning room ,bath room and living room. And I have a room just for coins. With 5 canning jar shelf's in it and a large dinning table holding about 100 note books full of coins. And boxes of coins. And jars of coins. Iam just really started to get it organized. Iam on the counties that starts with C. When I get to the counties that start with Z , I will be getting rite of some of my extra. It is a very hard thing just thinking about it. But really do I need over 900 dollars in face value in US 50 cent coins, or 275 SBA dollars. No I don't need that much. I kept telling myself when I retire I will have an E_Bay shop. Well I don't think I would really like that. Don't let you collection control you ,you need to control your collection. But I will always have a lot of extra's. I like to look for errors and differed types. I really like getting lots to look at the "new" coins and find interesting ones. I have a long way to go yet.
It is, what it is, or is it.
Hey all.
Thankfully we came to a compromise. I will contain all my coins in 1 room of the house and organize it all to fit in 1 closet. I will be getting rid of most coins from countries I really dont collect and dont plan on ever organizing and only keep a max of 10-15 coins of those countries. Hopefully the effect will be that the coins I keep will be quality coins.

Coin sets: keep only 1 coin set per type and get rid of duplicates.... that will clear up a ton of room as i have way too many duplicates.

Good news is:
All coins of precious metal I keep
All coins of Israel I keep
all coins of British mandate Palestine I keep
All US coins I keep
10-15 coins of every other country I keep
paper money I keep as it doesn't take up room

Sound like a decent compromise I can live with. I think i may even appreciate the coins i end up keeping a lot more.

Happy wife = happy life..... at least that's what I'm told...:love:

I got a big job ahead of me... this is gonna take time.

NOTE: I still dont like this Marie mondo woman... if only I can block her show in my home....

Thanks all,
Aaron
Quote: "pnightingale"​ I swear they watch you after dark. Those beady little eyes...
​Phil, I always hated those dolls. My sister had them growing up and they always gave me the creeps...
Hey my friend keep me in mind for anything from the UK or north and south America. That is were iam focusing on. thankyou
Daryl,
You know I will. I'll PM you when I start the process.
Aaron
Thank you I think I will have some fun this spring an gave away a big box of coins away. Like a 100 different dated Canadian and a 100 different dated Mexican coins. Hopefully to a new collector. It will have to be only US though the mail cost .And get back to were I was a few years back.
Aaron...my wife and I watch the show too and I am probably more the Marie Kondo type than she is but she did remark to me after an episode "I am so glad you collect coins and keep them so neat and orderly". It is easy to contain my collection as I shift toward more expensive collecting and I love putting them in to Dansco albums so that I can view them easily and often. Thus I spark joy each time :)

glad you were able to negotiate a fair deal ;)
I have always been quite tidy collector as I get rid of dublicates as fast as I can (I sell them, no swapping) and I don't own coin books anymore (I use library if needed or just internet). The whole collection of over 3000 coins and banknotes takes space of just 57 cm in our bookshelf.

And I can promise that those spark joy everytime (=very often) I look them through.
Yeah... my collection is an absolute mess. I have certain countries in order but I have literally thousands and thousands of coins floating all over the place. It's way too tedious to enter all of them into numista so I have gotten really overwhelmed. In the past few months I have not allowed myself to buy any coins as I realized it's gotten out of hand. I used to buy bulk at flea markets and just put them in the closet and when I had time I would sort through them. Now they are all over the desks (plural), all drawers, closets shelves, floor and everywhere in between.

Past three days I've been trying to make sense of it all. I got a long way to go.

Mrs kondo...... you opened a can of worms....

Aaron
Quote: "aaronmgd"​Yeah... my collection is an absolute mess. I have certain countries in order but I have literally thousands and thousands of coins floating all over the place. It's way too tedious to enter all of them into numista so I have gotten really overwhelmed. In the past few months I have not allowed myself to buy any coins as I realized it's gotten out of hand. I used to buy bulk at flea markets and just put them in the closet and when I had time I would sort through them. Now they are all over the desks (plural), all drawers, closets shelves, floor and everywhere in between.

​Past three days I've been trying to make sense of it all. I got a long way to go.

​Mrs kondo...... you opened a can of worms....

​Aaron

It seems as if the battle resulted in a draw, but you will win the Kondo war.:D
          'We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.'
                                                      Sir Winston Churchill
On a separate but related topic, I recently cast out over 500 modern coins from my collection, and finished reorganising my coins (again), and the new cardboard dividers (organised by country) are neat enough to spark enough joy in me to last till Easter. :D

Here's a little look:

It really is very refreshing to clean up your collection! When I get more cardboard I'll make similar dividers and do the same for my banknote box, by alphabet. ;)
That looks neat!

But I cannot ignore the French spelling errors. You should order some extra cardboard to write Tchécoslovaquie, Yougoslavie, Norvège, Suède and Grèce :°. Looks like you mixed up accent grave with accent aigu.

Sry, didn't want to ruin your spark of joy! Happy preliminary Easter!
Quote: "jokinen"​That looks neat!

Looks like you mixed up accent grave with accent aigu.
​Thank you!

Most of the time when I write in French I straight up ignore the accents, or use the autocorrect function to get it in (if I'm on a device)- but I tried to be all proper for once. :8D

Although I have to own up to "Tchécoslovaquie"; I started out writing "Tchèque" then realised I had few coins from the post-1993 Czech Republic to speak of, so converted to "Czechoslovakia" halfway through. 8~
Quote: "aaronmgd"​Yeah... my collection is an absolute mess.
It appears that you should not consider Marie Kondo your enemy.
ūūūūū
I had the same problem with my daughter, who was a total brainwashed idiot over anything Oprah said, did or thought. I pointed out Oprah's splendid past, eg.: https://nypost.com/2010/04/13/lesbian-flings-prostitution-abuse-lies-oprahs-hidden-life/

That seemed to solve the problem.

I believed my daughter was suffering from sort of television-related Stockholm Syndrome, considering she was taken 'hostage' by the sweet Oprah, nearly every week day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome
-Just a taxpaying serf in Amerika

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 22:13.