The Great Weimar Commemorative 3 Mark Hunt! (11/19 down!)

47 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hello,

As title; recently I have officially made it a target of mine to assemble a type collection (one of each type) of the Weimar-era 3 Mark German commemorative coins! :wiz:

For those who don't know, the Weimar Republic (Weimarer Republik) is a term used to refer to the democratic government in Germany that lasted from the 9th November 1918, when Kaiser Wilhelm II abdicated, to the 30th of January 1933, when a certain Austrian painter was appointed Chancellor of Germany. This period was marked by socio-economic and political upheavals as well as a remarkable cultural renaissance, but from a numismatic POV, between 1925 and 1934 a series of commemoratives were issued to mark contemporary events as well as the anniversaries of locations, persons, and past events.

My goal is to try and acquire one of each commemorative 3 Mark; there are 19 types for me look for, and I also intend to try and do so at the lowest possible price, and to finish before the 1st of January 2020 (not likely!). This thread will document my efforts to complete the series across the next eleven months- so let's see how well I'll do in this little adventure. ;)

Quest Progress:
11/19 acquired so far
€406 spent so far

(Colours are based on how much I expect to have to pay for each type: Green= under 50 euro, Yellow= 50-100 euro, Red= over 100 euro, Black= acquired)

Rhineland Millenary (KM#46)
Lübeck Septcentennial (KM#48)
Bremerhaven Centennial (KM#50)
Nordhausen Millenary (KM#52)
University of Marburg Quadricentennial (KM#53) ✔
Tubingen University Sesquincentennial (KM#54)
Naumburg Nonacentennial (KM#57)
Albrecht Dürer Quadricentennial (KM#58)
Dinkelsbühl Millenary (KM#59)
Gotthold Lessing Bicentennial (KM#60) ✔
Waldeck Intergration into Prussia (KM#62)
Weimar Constitution Decennial (KM#63)
Meissen Millenary (KM#65)
Graf Zeppelin World Flight (KM#67)
Walther von der Volgelweide Septcentennial (KM#69)
French Evacuation of the Rhineland (KM#70)
Magdeburg Rebuilding Tricentennial (KM#72)
Freiherr vom Stein Centennial (KM#73)
Goethe Centennial (KM#76)
At the beginning of this journey; I have only one Weimar-era 3 Mark coin, which I bought in December last year on Ebay:

Coin #1:

1927 A Germany 3 Mark (University of Marburg)
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces24954.html
Reference: KM#53
Source: Hamburg, Germany (via Ebay)
Price: 50 euro

History:
The University of Marburg was founded in 1527, only a decade after Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses to the door of Wittenberg Castle; thus making it the oldest surviving Protestant university anywhere in the world. Its founder was Philip I of Hesse, hence the inscription on the obverse (PHILIPPS UNIVERSITÆT).

Remarks:
This cost me only 50 euro, because it was once a brooch, possibly created by an alumnus of the University (pin since removed in my photos):
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Deutsches-Reich-3-Reichsmark-Gedenkmunze-400-J-Universitat-Marburg-Anstecker/332905473339?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144
Had it been intact, I would've expected to pay at least twice as much. <:D
This will certainly be a beautiful journey! Unfortunately, I don't have any of these coins (yet), as I'm more focused on pre-1918 Prussia at the moment.
ROMAE AETERNAE
Wow! That’s a great idea for a set.. hope you complete it soon, do share pictures
Cass,
I'm afraid that I am ahead of you for once.
I have four of these coins
KM#'s 46, 63, 67 & 70

Bought them a long time ago, and have not seen once since. I think this will be an incredible but expensive journey, and I wish you well in your quest.
When you complete it, you must let us have some photographs. Perhaps we could have some photographs as you journey progresses as well.
Again, wishing you well in your quest.
Geoff
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
Thanks everyone for your support! :)

Yeah, I will most definitely be posting updates and photos as I go along; feel free also to share your own coins from this series here, the more the merrier! It'll indeed be a very expensive endeavour- far more challenging than the other interwar era commemorative set I've completed (Austrian 2 schillings 1928-37), but much more attainable for me than say, a full set of US classic commemorative halves.

In the meantime, it seems like I'm off to a good start; I've just won an auction for another one of these coins on Ebay at an outrageously low price- I'll post it when it arrives, but for now here's a teaser! ;)
I have looked on eBay and the prices seem to go from £45.00 to over £600.00, so, this is certainly going to hurt your pocket, credit card or bank balance.
Mine came from a coin dealer at the Saturday coin market near the Embankment underground station.
That is always worth a visit if anyone is near there. Never sure which dealers will turn up, so it's just chance.

Question on the first coin? Will you replace it due to its condition? (Ex brooch mount)
That 2nd one wasn't so hard to track down on ebay search.

Looks like a bargain but the obverse does look a bit peculiar which might have held off other bidders. Seller seems pretty decent though.
Quote: "COINMAN1"​Question on the first coin? Will you replace it due to its condition? (Ex brooch mount)
​Oh, well, maybe if I see another of that same coin without mount at such a good price, but that means most likely no; even if such a coin did come along, as a type collector with limited means, I tend to settle for low prices rather than high quality. A few of the best types in my collection are ex pendants or brooches, and at this point I try to view it as part of the coin's history. :°

And you are very correct about them putting a big hole in my pocket! Most dealers I've seen selling them outside Germany (mainly in France and the UK) put ridiculous markups on any Weimar commemoratives they get their hands on, even the more common ones; in fact I was thinking I'd never own more than a couple until I met a Berlin-based dealer who showed me his inventory back last November with pricing more in my lane. ;)
Since the turn of the year there has been an abundance of Imperial / Wiemar commemoratives for sale locally. It seems to be the result of a prominent collection being broken up and passing through the hands of several local dealers. Prices are all over the place ranging from sky high to almost scrap metal. I reckon it's one of those "right place, right time" affairs so I've picked up several real bargains and I'm carefully watching and waiting for the price to fall on several other treasures.

Thus far I've only found one 3 Mark coin in the mix, a 1930A KM 67 "Graf Zeppelin" 3 Reichsmark. There are several of these but the non Berlin issues are quite expensive so I'll be watching and waiting for these to drop a little. Here's the one I already bought -

My favorite of the crop isn't a 3 Mark but it is one of my favorite current coins, 1925E "Rhineland" 5 Reichsmark. I'm hoping to find it's smaller counterpart to make a nice pair.

2019 looks like it's going to be my year for top tier German coins, thanks to some presumably now deceased collector. Here's a few more examples from the same source which must have been a magnificent collection. It's a pity it's been broken up as it must have been a sight to see.

KM 306.3 1765B 1 Reichsthaler - Friedrich II

KM 500 1871A 1 Thaler - Wilhelm I "Siegestaler" (The "album toning" around the rim really adds to the eye appeal)

Last but by no means least a .990 silver medal awarded by the Imperial Shipwrecked Mariner's Society to the Masters of ships which rescued mariners from the high seas. This one was awarded to Captain John George Mulleitner of the Steamer "Mei Dah" 23rd November 1909. Because of it's interesting theme, unique nature and limited numbers it's value exceeds that of any of the above coins. I bought it because I liked it and only discovered it's worth when later researching it.

I find myself looking forward to my next round of coin shopping with more than the usual interest. It's not really hard to find good quality coins in Florida but the current state of play is to say the least very interesting. At least from a buyer's perspective.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
My local coin shop is offering two coins in this series - the KM53 (1927A) in UNC for $400 and the KM67 (1930A) in XF-AU for $170.
In the humble opinion of the members of this forum, are those good prices for these coins?
Quote: "JRo69"​My local coin shop is offering two coins in this series - the KM53 (1927A) in UNC for $400 and the KM67 (1930A) in XF-AU for $170.
​In the humble opinion of the members of this forum, are those good prices for these coins?
​Not sure about the KM#53, but the KM#67 does not seem to be at a good price- here's one in UNC for a lower price:
https://www.ma-shops.com/emporium/item.php?id=25392&lang=fr

One in AU for 80 euro, nearly half of $170:
https://www.ma-shops.com/loebbers/item.php?id=181002020&lang=fr
Please keep your posts on coins and aligned with topic presented at start of the thread and avoid personal attacks or whatever support or team up to personal attacks (or whatever you want to call that).

Otherwise you know the stuff: warnings, bans, thread locks, etc. :~ Warning is now done, just saying.

So after a bit of thread cleanup, here we are with a fresher start. :D
Sapientiae plerumque stultitia est comes.
Si c'est un grand plaisir d'être reconnu par ses amis, c'est peut-être encore plus flatteur d'être reconnu par ses adversaires.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
Thanks PJ- a friendly reminder of my own that there's a reason why we have a monthly "Additions to your Collection" thread, and that the purpose and focus of this thread is on Weimar-era commemoratives; though I'm rather more confident in the abilities of the rest of us to read titles and follow basic instructions. :)

So, without further ado, here's the battle plans:

1) I will look for the green (expected cost under 50 euro) coins first; I have already located satisfactory priced examples of Lessing (KM#60), Rhineland Evacuation (KM#70), and Rhineland Millenary (KM#46). One is on its way from Germany, while the other two I have to buy from a physical coin dealer's (which I will do so as soon as I have saved up). The only one left to tackle is KM#63, but that shouldn't be too hard.

2) After Green is completed, I'll move on to looking for Yellow, of course- I have found a decently priced Meissen (KM#65) and Goethe (KM#76), but not sure whether I should get them ASAP or prioritise looking for that last Green first.

3) Finally, after all Yellows are down, I'll move on to the Reds; although this is where I will most likely have to settle for mutilated coins like my KM#53 (pictured above!). Of course I will also keep an eye out for Reds at good prices before I finish Green and Yellow, but otherwise they are secondary targets, at least for now.
Here are my babies. The pain of buying the most expensive ones (Dürer, Dinkesbühl, Tübingen, Magdeburg) still awaits me :) And btw: CassTaylor, I could give you price quotes (and better pics) for Goethe, Lessing and Zeppelin that I think may be of acceptable for you, PM me if you're interested.

Quote: "Bartweegie"CassTaylor, I could give you price quotes (and better pics) for Goethe, Lessing and Zeppelin that I think may be of acceptable for you, PM me if you're interested.

​Wow! Now those are nice coins! :love: How long ago did you start your collection, if I may ask?
PM sent as well, by the way. ;)

And while I'm here, I'd like to present a really good deal- or rather, what would have been one, if I hadn't been just a few minutes too late. ;(

Seriously, I got up to make a cup of coffee, and when I get back it's been sold- despite the rim damage it would have been an awesome price. (;0
Thanks Cass, If I'm not mistaken, my first 3 Mark commem arrived in the end of June 2016.

Cass, These are my four 3 Mark coins. Below, although they are not relevant to the topic, are my 5 Mark coins

Be careful coinman, you'll be scolded for going off topic...
Jimpop,
I only added them for fun.
Quote: "COINMAN1"

​Cass, These are my four 3 Mark coins. Below, although they are not relevant to the topic, are my 5 Mark coins
​Lovely- thanks for sharing, and for respecting the thread's topic! :)

I have the Zeppelin 5 Mark myself (my coin is the one in the Numista link), and maybe some day when I've finished this quest, I'll get started on the 5 Mark series too! There's only 9 of them (11 if you count the 1933 and 1934 Martin Luther and Friedrich Schiller ones), but they're way more expensive as a rule of thumb; I expect to pay over at least 100 euro for each of those. :(
Cass,
Thanks for your understanding of the 5 Mark coins. Only included them for interest as they issued the same design on two different face values.
I agree about the early 5 Mark coins. Out of my league too
And today, my second coin has arrived! :8D Unlike my Marburg coin, it's in superb condition:

Coin #2:

1929 E Germany 3 Mark (Meissen)
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces15903.html
Reference: KM#65
Source: Bremen, Germany (via Ebay)
Price: 45 euro

History:
Meissen is a town in Saxony founded in 929 AD; in its thousand-year long history commemorated in this coin, it was raided by the Mongols, became home to the most famous porcelain production centre outside of East Asia (some of which was used for local notgeld after WWI), and hosted the famous Enlightenment-era writer Gotthold Lessing (of whom we will be hearing about again very soon on this thread! ;)).

Remarks:
Remember, one of the things I'm aiming for is to spend as little as possible in completing the collection- and for this coin, I paid 45 euro, which is not a massive bargain, but still very fair- and it seems to still be 10-20 euro less than the median price for this coin. And in this shape I can hardly complain. :O
A little beauty Cass. Only 17 to go, but what a project you have started. I am trying to imagine what the completed series would look like when completed, and I think AWESOME would be an understatement.
Quote: "CassTaylor"​And today, my second coin has arrived! :8D Unlike my Marburg coin, it's in superb condition:

Coin #2:

1929 E Germany 3 Mark (Meissen)
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces15903.html
Reference: KM#65
​Price: 45 euro

History:
​Meissen is a town in Saxony founded in 929 AD; in its thousand-year long history commemorated in this coin, it was raided by the Mongols, became home to the most famous porcelain production centre outside of East Asia (some of which was used for local notgeld after WWI), and hosted the famous Enlightenment-era writer Gotthold Lessing (of whom we will be hearing about again very soon on this thread! ;)).

Remarks:
​Remember, one of the things I'm aiming for is to spend as little as possible in completing the collection- and for this coin, I paid 45 euro, which is not a massive bargain, but still very fair- and it seems to still be 10-20 euro less than the median price for this coin. And in this shape I can hardly complain. :O

​Very Nice!!!
That is indeed a beauty. I've been to Meissen and its a very picturesque little town. The porcelain of course is ridiculously expensive. I didn't buy any, but even if i could, I could probably only afford the thimble which was still 18euros!
Outings administrator
Quote: "COINMAN1"I am trying to imagine what the completed series would look like when completed, and I think AWESOME would be an understatement.
​ Here are all 19 images (which I made from Numista pages) ...

ZacUK,
Nice, but not really like the real thing. The real photograph will be a thousand times better, although, this is a decent start.
Geoff
Quote: "COINMAN1"The real photograph will be a thousand times better, although, this is a decent start.
​Bartweegie's photos, with 13/19 coins down, are as close as we have now- and I'm sure there must be some people with a complete set out there. I hope to join them someday! ;)

Thank you for all your compliments! :` I honestly didn't expect the Meissen coin to be as nice as it was either, from the auction's photos, but when I got it in the mail it looked almost like a satin finish coin. Not sure if it shows in my own photos....

A little more info from my research; the "E" mintmark that this coin bears, means the entire mintage (200,000 pieces) was minted at Muldenhutten, a German mint defunct since 1953, that just happens to be located in Saxony too, just a few kilometres south of- you guessed it- Meissen!
Slightly off topic, since no 3 mark coins are involved: I've always wondered whether the 2 and 5 mark 1933 Luther (KM#79-80) and 2 and 5 mark 1934 Schiller (KM#84-85), which are now catalogued under Germany - Third Empire by NGC, were actually already commissioned during the Weimar era. Thematically and design wise, these coins seem to fit the Weimar commemoratives series better than the Potsdam-Hindenburg series of the Third Empire.

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/germany-third-reich-2-reichsmark-km-79-1933-cuid-1130461-duid-1319326
https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/germany-third-reich-2-reichsmark-km-84-1934-cuid-1129868-duid-1318897

Back on topic, I'm the proud owner of this Rhineland 3 Mark:
Quote: "ArnoV"​Slightly off topic, since no 3 mark coins are involved: I've always wondered whether the 2 and 5 mark 1933 Luther (KM#79-80) and 2 and 5 mark 1934 Schiller (KM#84-85), which are now catalogued under Germany - Third Empire by NGC, were actually already commissioned during the Weimar era.
​Yes, I thought the same thing too! It wouldn't surprise me if that were true- the only commemorative coins issued under the Nazi era were the boring anniversary variant of the Potsdam Garrison church 2 and 5 RM coins. Perhaps numismatic flair is the one area Mussolini's Italy could have helped their Axis partners across the Brenner Pass out with. :D

Also the Reichsmark seems to have devalued slightly due to the global economic depression in 1932-33; the new 1 RM coins issued from 1933 in nickel, as well as the slight reduction in size of the silver 2 RM (and the much more significant reduction of size in the 5 RM) indicate it. Which is probably why they switched from making 3 RM commemoratives to 2RM ones, but that didn't last too long anyway thanks to Hindenburg's "Bohemian Corporal". :(
Quote: "CassTaylor"....and hosted the famous Enlightenment-era writer Gotthold Lessing (of whom we will be hearing about again very soon on this thread! ;)).

Well, I promised we hadn't seen the last of Herr Lessing on this thread, and here he is again!

Coin #3:

1929 A Germany 3 Mark (Gotthold Lessing)

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces15902.html
Reference: KM#60
Source: Carpin, Germany (via Ebay)
Price: 17 euro

History:

Gotthold Lessing (1729-81) was a German Enlightenment-era writer and philosopher, from Saxony. He attended school in Meissen, a town commemorated on coin #2 above; and is famous today primarily for his influence on 18th century German literature and his work as a dramatic critic at the Hamburg National Theatre.

Remarks:
This was the coin I won at auction for 16.5 (I'll round all prices to the nearest integer from now on) euro that jokinen tracked down earlier; and indeed, it was a very good price! However, there was a loop (now removed) soldered to the edge, as well as clear evidence of post-mint trauma to the reverse of the coin. Nonetheless still a very good coin at a very good price. :8D
4 down, and "only" 15 to go! Just this morning one of my favourite designs came in the mail:

Coin #4:

1930 A Germany 3 Mark (French Evacuation of the Rhineland)
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces15905.html
Reference: KM#70
Source: Gelsenkirchen, Germany (via Ebay)
Price: 40 euro

History:
After the end of WWI, the terms of the Armistice allowed for Allied troops, the bulk of which were French, occupied the entirety of Germany on the left bank of the Rhine, in order to guarantee bridgeheads into the heart of Germany if the negotiations failed. After the Treaty of Versailles was signed, the main aim of the occupation became to enforce demilitarisation and reparation payments, with a fifteen year period stipulated in the treaty. However, improving relations between the former belligerents with the Locarno Treaties of 1925 meant that Allied troops completely withdrew from the Rhineland a few years early, in June 1930 - the event commemorated by this coin. The region itself, however, remained demilitarised by the Treaty of Versailles until Hitler remilitarised it in 1936.

Remarks:
With a striking Art Deco eagle standing guard over a bridge on the obverse, this was the design I was most looking forward to receiving! The most interesting thing about this coin is the nationalist slogan on that side of the coin, "DER RHIEN DEUTSCHLANDS STROM NICHT DEUTSCHLANDS GRENZE" (The Rhine- Germany's River, not Germany's frontier!), reflecting the underlying popular nationalist sentiments that existed throughout the Weimar era. It's got lustre in spades, something more than welcome after my impaired Lessing coin, and even though the price I paid wasn't the biggest bargain, I felt it was more than fair.
That is a beautiful coin indeed! It reminds me of this German patriotic song called Die Wacht Am Rhein:

With English translations and enacted scenes from the Franco-Prussian War (1870-1):
https://youtu.be/h6xHURCSsYk

There's also a version of this song by Heino (Germany's Roy Orbison, erm... in some way), but couldn't find a video with Germany's most famous sunglassed singer singing it. B)

I’m salivating at your latest one! Now I’m just jealous, but I’m too cheap to go out and buy my own one lol
Outings administrator
Quote: "jokinen"​That is a beautiful coin indeed! It reminds me of this German patriotic song called Die Wacht Am Rhein:

​With English translations and enacted scenes from the Franco-Prussian War (1870-1):
https://youtu.be/h6xHURCSsYk

​There's also a version of this song by Heino (Germany's Roy Orbison, erm... in some way), but couldn't find a video with Germany's most famous sunglassed singer singing it. B)

​How do we know Roy Orbison is not America's Heino?
Quote: "ashlobo"​I’m salivating at your latest one! Now I’m just jealous, but I’m too cheap to go out and buy my own one lol
Thank you! ​I tried to capture all the lustre evenly, but had to settle for what I got in the photos I posted above.... It's one of those coins that looks even better in person- if only my eyes could take photographs! :O
Quote: "jokinen"That is a beautiful coin indeed! It reminds me of this German patriotic song called Die Wacht Am Rhein.
Yep, I was thinking of the Watch on the Rhine as well when I was writing the blurb above!

Bit of trivia; that song (or rather the poem it was derived from) was written in 1840 during the Rhine crisis with France under Adolphe Thiers, who tried to reassert France's claim to the left bank of the Rhine being France's eastern "frontiere naturelle". Hence the lyrics about the watch on the river "standing fast and true".

As with Saxony and Lessing, this coin is not the last we will be seeing of the Rhineland here just yet either! ;)
It seems like there's a cycle of me getting an impaired one, then a really nice one, then another impaired one, and so on- you decide whichever category this next one belongs in. :D

Coin #5:

1929 A Germany 3 Mark (10th Anniversary of the Weimar Constitution)

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces15904.html
Reference: KM#63
Source: Mende, France (via Ebay)
Price: 30 euro

History:

At the end of WWI, a German Republic was established by Philipp Schidemann on the 9th of November 1918, the same day as the abdication of Kaiser Wilhelm II. The new republic's legislative body, the German National Assembly, convened in the Thuringian town of Weimar (hence the term "Weimar Republic") the following January, since the capital of Berlin was deemed too dangerous for political activity, with frequent clashes between left wing Spartactists and right wing Freikorps in the streets, made up mostly of returning soldiers. Due to such civil unrest and the events surrounding the Treaty of Versailles until June, it took the Assembly until August 1919 to agree on and adopt a new democratic constitution for the new Republic.

Remarks:
This coin is another one of the relatively cheap Weimars; mine cost 30 euro, but it seems to have been cleaned- so I'll chalk this one up as another "not a massive bargain but not a bad price either" coin. :° This was also the first and so far only 3 Mark of mine to not have come from Germany, but rather from France. The obverse depicts the former Field Marshal and then-incumbent German President Paul von Hindenburg, elected in 1925 and serving until his death in 1934, who was for monarchists, reactionaries, and the political elite a symbol of the continuity of pre-war conservatives who dominated German politics throughout the Weimar era. On the reverse is a particularly interesting motif; there is a hand raised in an oath of fidelity to the constitution and the 10-year old Republic- which hindsight tells us, neither of which would have long to live. 8~
And just a few days later, here's coin #6! I'm now already a third of the way through my quest! :8D

Coin #6:

1925 A Germany 3 Mark (1000th Anniversary of the Rhineland)

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces15901.html
Reference: KM#46
Source: Siegburg, Germany (via Ebay)
Price: 30 euro

History:

The Rhineland is the name commonly used to refer to the region of Germany around the banks of the Rhine, north of Alsace. In the year 925, the region was ceded to East Francia, which would later become the Holy Roman Empire. Fast forwarding a millennium to the 1920s, after Germany's defeat in the first World War and the imposition of an Allied occupation in the Rhineland (see #4), battered German nationalists seized upon this relatively minor event from a thousand years ago as an excuse to show up the French, and proclaim the region's loyalty to Germany.

Remarks:
The Rhine river had been since the early 19th century a target of both French and German romantic nationalism, and it's mysticism in the eyes of German nationalists in particular meant that nightmares of French occupation of the "Left Bank" of the Rhine (as France had done during the Napoleonic Wars) were once again potent during the post-WWI occupation of the region. To drive home the point about the Rhineland being German, the designer uses a chainmail-clad knight, hand raised in fealty, with a shield featuring the eagle of Lorraine. This is the last of the "cheap" 3 Mark coins- from here on out they will likely get much more expensive. :(
Another excellent coin
Outings administrator
Great coins! :D So far I only have the Gotthold Lessing (1929D, in AU). I got it for a very good price at a local coin shop, about 2 years ago. There were others in the series, but i was too late, and missed out :snif: I am hoping to do something similar to what you are doing when financial situation improves.
Good luck on your acquiring the rest in the series :wiz:
Thank you both! I have now acquired coin #7, and it's another lustrousgoodie:

Coin #7:

1929 A Germany 3 Mark (Integration of Waldeck into Prussia)

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces44133.html
Reference: KM#62
Price: 77 euro

History:

Waldeck-Pyrmont was a small principality in northwestern Germany, completely enclaved within Prussia after 1866. At the end of WWI, it's ruling prince abdicated in November 1918 along with all the other German monarchs, and Waldeck-Pyrmont became a free state within the new Weimar Republic. It was integrated into the Free State of Prussia in 1929.

Remarks:
This type I saw one with a dinged rim being sold for just 60 euro last month, but I missed it- this is a pretty one I won for 77 euro in an auction- not a bad price compared to the other Buy it Now listings of this coin, which average at around 115 euro! It's still got mint lustre in spades across the coin, which I did my best to capture in the photographs.
In discussion with the thread owner CassTaylor ive decided to photoshop all the coins currently owned for the set.

https://i.imgur.com/XZf3Lks.jpg

Hope you guys like it?

(if the image doesnt work i put the imgur link in)
Bas DB
I took a month off to pursue some other targets, but fear not, the hunt is not yet over! Here comes my second wave-

Coin #8:

1931 A Germany 3 Mark (Magdeburg Rebuilding Tercentenary)

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces29893.html
Reference: KM#72
Source: Villingen-Schwenningen, Germany (via Ebay)
Price: 42 euro

History:

Magdeburg is a city located in central Germany, southwest of Berlin. During the Thirty Years' War (1618-48), central Europe (particularly Germany) was devastated by conflict between Catholics and Protestants. One of the most heavily afflicted cities was Magdeburg, which was taken by Austrian general Tilly in 1631 and razed to the ground along with 20,000 inhabitants. This coin bears in German, an inscription that translates roughly into "Rebirth after discord and peril"- commemorating the tercentenary of the rebuilding of the city.

Remarks:
This coin is easily 200 euro in retail price, but I found an auction for an impaired one (the large slash on the obverse) and won it for 42. It's been cleaned in the past as well, but considering this is one of the scarcer Weimar coins, I'm happy I was able to take a rare opportunity to purchase a lowball example.

Two more are coming soon, from a Numista member too! :P
Not one, but two new Weimar 3RMs came today- courtesy of Numista member Bartweegie!

Coin #9:

1930 A Germany 3 Mark (Graf Zeppelin)

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces24953.html
Reference: KM#67
Source: East Kilbride, Scotland (via Numista)
Price: 37 euro

History:

Zeppelins, named after Count (Graf) Ferdinand von Zeppelin who in 1900 first pioneered the field of airship technology with the launch of an airship known as LZ-1, were a mode of transportation that first became common in the interwar era, after some were used to bomb British cities in WWI with extremely limited success, due to their cumbersome structures. This particular coin commemorates the adventure of the LZ-127 Graf Zeppelin airship, named after the deceased Count, which circumnavigated the Northern Hemisphere in 1929 to international acclaim, stopping at Los Angeles and Tokyo. The airship continued travelling around the world until it was scrapped during WWII, by which point airship travel had gone out of vogue due to the highly-publicised Hindenburg disaster in 1937.

Remarks:
This coin seems to be the most common of the Weimar 3RM commemoratives; my example still bears a lot of original mint lustre. Wikipedia erroneously mentions in the LZ-127 article, that Germany "minted a 3RM commemorative" for the occasion. This neglects the corresponding 5RM, which I also own (as my only Weimar 5RM!). This was also one of two coins a Numista member, Bartweegie offered to sell me from his own collection- this coin and the following one have already appeared on this thread before in fact, in his own post above.
..... but that's not all, folks! Stay tuned for more today:

Coin #10:

1932 A Germany 3 Mark (Goethe Centenary)
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces42120.html
Reference: KM#76
Source: East Kilbride, Scotland (via Numista)
Price: 37 euro

History:

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832) was a famous German poet and writer of the Enlightenment, with the likes of Lessing (seen above) and Schiller, most famous for his dramatic work Faust. Born in (quite appropriately for this topic!) the city of Weimar, this coin actually commemorates the centenary of his death in 1832. Interestingly, the edge does not bear the "Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit" trinity from das Deutschlandlied that most Weimar commemoratives do, but rather a quote from Goethe's work- "Allen Gewalten zum Trutz sich erhalten", translating as, "Keep yourself in spite of all (opposing) forces". These same words would prove profound for many in the coming years after 1932, and indeed Hans Scholl of the White Rose resistance movement scrawled these words onto his cell before his execution in 1943.

Remarks:
This coin has a lot of dark toning around the rim which gives it the air of a modern AliExpress counterfeit on first glance, but upon closer inspection a variety of subtle rainbow tones are expressed, on the obverse especially, which I have tried my best to capture on camera. I suspected it had been cleaned sometime in the past as well, but nonetheless it was a price I could not pass up, compared to those I saw being sold elsewhere. Again, my deepest gratitudes to @Bartweegie for these last two lovely Weimars! They bring me to 10/19, past the halfway point for my goal. :`
Quite some time since I last updated, but the midway break is now over! Here is #11, and the last of the "cheap" ones:

Coin #11:

1930 A Germany 3 Mark (Walther von der Vogelweide Septcentennial)

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces39007.html
Reference: KM#69
Source: via Numista; edited due to privacy concerns
Price: 0 euro

History:

Walther von der Volgelweide (1170-1230) was a medieval German minstrel and poet, described by Wikipedia as "the greatest German lyrical poet before Goethe" (see the previous entry!). He was particularly celebrated during his lifetime, and towards the end of his career was even granted a small fiefdom by the Holy Roman Emperor in the Tyrol. Most of his melodies have not survived the centuries, but his poems are gathered in the Codez Manesse, from which an illustration was taken for the obverse of this 1930 commemorative for the 700th anniversary of his death.

Remarks:
This coin is the first of these Weimar 3RMs that I swapped for instead of buying. It is the last of the "cheap" Weimar 3RM commemoratives; from here on out the journey becomes extremely costly. 8~ Interestingly, the same year, Austria issued for its own 2 schilling commemorative series, a coin with the exact same obverse design- understandable when you consider that he was from the Tyrol.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 13:24.