I have noticed an upswing of gimmick coins, counterfeits and even blatant play money being listed in this part of the forum. Seriously there should be minimum standards. Some of the junk coming in can not be by people who are so stupid they can believe its real.
Some of the rubbish there in the past month.
1. At least 3 threads on fake 19th century US coins (Morgans and Seated Liberty's)
2. One guy who is angry his 70 centavo play money coin is not real.
3. One thread I got a roasting over for some guy claiming his/her fake Chinese knock off Trade Dollar and other Chinese play money was illegal junk (A fake Hong Kong Dollar dated 1866 with King Edward VII on it - ruled 1901 - 1910).
We should have rules for the Coin identification thread -
1. You must check your coin/medal on Numista's catalogue first and only ask if you can't find it. I assume most users here have at least an AVERAGE level of intelligence. I am sure special needs/intellectually disabled people could not navigate this site - so searching the catalogue should not be rocket science.
2. If you coin was bought in China or off Ali Baba, and its an American or British coin dated before 1920 or a large European silver coin - You know its a damn fake - don't ask.
3. If its play money or a souvenir coin/token/tourist gimmick - state that it is.
4. If you choose to list it - Please mention where you got it and any previous history (Owners etc) if you know it. If you bought it from a bourse or a stall, or if Grandma Prokenius Ancienta gave it to you - tell us.
5. Include a proper title, - not "Old coin" - "Help needed". At least guess where the coin is from and its age or value - "19the century copper coin of Europe" "2000s fake Morgan dollar from China.
6. These threads should be policed by moderators, anyone listing multiple fake coin/ gimmick or incredibly stupid threads, should be black listed.
I am more than willing to moderate.
Coin identifications - Silly and bogus threads
This message aims at: suggesting an idea to improve NumistaStatus: Opened
Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 12:10PM.