Menu

Triple die (?) 2016 D Kentucky state quarter

Doriharshbarger
My name is Dori.
I am new to coin collecting and was wondering if my 2016 D Kentucky state quarter is a triple die, machine doubling or mechanical error. And if none of the above, what would have caused it to appear like this.
Topic moved to "Numismatic questions" (ZacUK, 6-Mar-2019, 07:28PM)
KLiao
Seems like a double die
If you have any United States, Taiwan, Chinese republic, Japanese (pre WWII) coins to exchange please let me know! I have lots of coins in my collection and only a small portion is on numista.

K.
Doriharshbarger
Do you know that for sure cuz I sent it in to heritage auction and that guy is always telling me out of all the coins over the last year that I've sent him is really not what it appeared . Just like this coin
KLiao
It is just what i see but i may be wrong. Maybe someone else knows
If you have any United States, Taiwan, Chinese republic, Japanese (pre WWII) coins to exchange please let me know! I have lots of coins in my collection and only a small portion is on numista.

K.
Doriharshbarger
Who else can I ask
KLiao
I’m still pretty new here and don’t really know. Try waiting to see if anyone else knows about it. Sorry I couldn’t of been more help

K.
arvin11
I don't think it triple or double die ,its simply a normal coin.American coins are heavily punched ,so it appear little 3d in picture.

​​​​​
coin collector.....
ALLRED1950
To me looks like machine doubling
AT THIS TIME IAM NO LONGER SWAPPING. I need too put things in order. And take some time off. Thank you yours daryl
LargoRich
You need to send it to one of the certifying companies. Their opinion will be the final word in this issue. I can't imagine that the value would be that much as a "raw" coin. Unfortunately! :(
Oklahoman
I dont see the notching on the corners of the letters/numbers that would indicate a doubled die.
harryg
Im seeing a double die. But I drink alot so maybe its just me. :8D
Essor Prof
I see a double die, except for the last picture:

That indeed looks like a triple die (and I don't drink).
Double dies are fairly common errors with very little (if any) premium in most cases, so I certainly wouldn't send it to a certifying company and pay 40 - 50 dollars to put it in a plastic case. But of course, that's only my opinion.
Sjoelund
Quote: "ALLRED1950"​To me looks like machine doubling
​To me as well!
Ole
Globetrotter
Coin variants in English:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
In French on Cobra's site (not the same)
http://monnaiesetvarietes.esy.es/
Doriharshbarger
Thanks for your opinion. But Why wouldn't it hold any value if it was doubled. I mean I know that there's certain years or coins that hold a much higher value but I haven't seen anything on this coin.
Steve27
DDOs and TDOs have value to error collectors, but machine doubling happens much more often, thus it has no additional value. If you want a second opinion, I suggest you post your picture here:

https://forums.collectors.com/categories/u-s-coin-forum

Fred Weinberg is an expert on US error coins, and he usually comments on any thread with the word "error" in the title.

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 11:38PM.