Kind regards Frenzen
BramVB
Hi
Just call me Bram
Back in Belgium, with a lot of coins to swap ... but with high postal costs :(
KLiao
Hello, Welcome to numista
-K.L

If you have any United States, Taiwan, Chinese republic, Japanese (pre WWII) coins to sell/exchange please let me know! Plus visit my Ebay store! For coins+Jewelry
https://www.ebay.com/usr/kliao-69?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
yvon
Hi
...you can run,  but you can't hide...
auscoin
Hi Frenzen and welcome to the forum!

I'm guessing that your question has something to do with a 1911 British trade Dollar ... pictures please.
CassTaylor
Quote: "auscoin"​Hi Frenzen and welcome to the forum!

​I'm guessing that your question has something to do with a 1911 British trade Dollar ... pictures please.
​Indeed!

Welcome to Numista!
https://www.instagram.com/sophie_numismatique/
jokinen
Welcome to the site.

Are you sure the weight is 36g and not 26g?
CassTaylor
Hello,

Thanks for posting pictures; but unfortunately your coin is a rather obvious fake. :(
Frenzen
Quote: "CassTaylor"​Hello,

​Thanks for posting pictures; but unfortunately your coin is a rather obvious fake. :(
​Really? I read through and find some article that limited number of trade dollars has been produced in TAEL standard in China in years 1904 - 1911 and size was 40mm-45mm and weight was (36-40 g). I have been searching now some days to find some proof. Maybe someone knows that better.
Frenzen
Quote: "jokinen"​Welcome to the site.

​Are you sure the weight is 36g and not 26g?
​100% sure that 36 g, not 26 g
CassTaylor
Quote: "Frenzen"
Quote: "CassTaylor"​Hello,
​​
​​Thanks for posting pictures; but unfortunately your coin is a rather obvious fake. :(
​​Really? I read through and find some article that limited number of trade dollars has been produced in TAEL standard in China in years 1904 - 1911 and size was 40mm-45mm and weight was (36-40 g). I have been searching now some days to find some proof. Maybe someone knows that better.
​Hello,

Yes, really. Your coin bears all the hallmarks of a cheap modern fake produced in China within the last twenty years.

I don't know if the information where it says a British Trade Dollar was made to the standards of 40-45mm and 36-40g (those are massive deviations, by the way) is true, but even if it is, your coin is not one of them. That being said, Tael standard silver coins in China produced around the turn of the 20th century had diameters of only around 40mm.
anchorsaweigh
I love these, especially chopped. Here's my chopped US Trade Dollar, an 1874-CC:

anchorsaweigh
The proliferation of counterfeits is the only thing keeping me from buying one of these. What are the diagnostics?

Cheers

Bob
worth
Quote: "anchorsaweigh"​The proliferation of counterfeits is the only thing keeping me from buying one of these. What are the diagnostics?

​Cheers

​Bob
​I have avoided Trade dollars in general for the same reason. As a grouping of type of coins (Trade Dollars used in East Asia) they are fascinating and I would love to collect them. However I still don’t even own an American one because I am worried of getting a fake. It’s unfortunate.
anchorsaweigh
Quote: "worth"
Quote: "anchorsaweigh"​The proliferation of counterfeits is the only thing keeping me from buying one of these. What are the diagnostics?
​​
​​Cheers
​​
​​Bob

​​I have avoided Trade dollars in general for the same reason. As a grouping of type of coins (Trade Dollars used in East Asia) they are fascinating and I would love to collect them. However I still don’t even own an American one because I am worried of getting a fake. It’s unfortunate.

You could go with a PCGS or NGC Genuine/Details example if the straight graded are beyond your budget. Or, simply go with a certified lowball grade.

Cheers

Bob

Moneytane
Another Chinese junk copy of a legit coin. British Trade Dollars were 38mm and weighed 27 - 28.2 grams. they were silver and used mostly in Hong Kong.

They were not made or marketed by the Chinese. Frenzen - is that a Chinese name? If you are Chinese or got an old foreign coin in China its likely a fake.

We really need to have a separate section for fake coins, Chinese crap and play money threads that end up on this site. Sometimes I wish we could institute a blanket ban on any Chinese made coins, unless they were Chinese currency.
I love coins, both old and precious and also change coins. If its round and shiny, it will garner my interest. I also collect stamps and have an abiding interest in History, Archaeology,  and Social Issues.  I also worship the musical god Prince.
Saber82
Hi there,

Welcome to Numista!

Not to offend you but it is really a fake. I looked at the picture and knew it was a fake.:(

-The colour does not look correct.
-Behind the coin beside the shield should be nothing but i am seeing some imprintments.
-Behind the coin the details does not look right and seems like a coin transfer die method was been used.
-The diameter of the coin is wrong.
-The weight of the coin is also wrong.

Why was this coin created?

Like one of the member says, it was created 20 over years ago where there is no internet and SCAM was a pretty common thing. Just show it to some people who only knows by description, never hold or handle it, they are easy targets. In Malaysia and Singapore this was very common. And due to this incident, the coin was avoided at all cost to some collectors as money is very hard to earn. To my best knowledge, as long as it is a trade dollar, one has to take extra precaution(Mexican, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, USA and so on.....)

You claimed that you read from somewhere about this coin that is real due to the standards and was not popular. Can you please show us the link so that we can tell you if this link is legit or not.

Below is a picture i took awhile back to study my own coins (Other Series).
Colour test.
-The one on the left is fake. Dull in colour as compare to the on on the right.
-The diameter is also wrong. 39.5mm.
-The details are also giving alarms. The real ones is really nice as compare to the fake it is horrible.

A bunch of fakes!!!!!

Some coins are upside down as i flip the coin left to right for all coins. This is to check the medal Alignment.

Below is a British trade dollar comparison photo and measurements i took myself.
Be kind to people. Sharing is Caring. Collect what you like and not by the Crowd.

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 01:44PM.