Menu

Globus Cruciger with a Z

Author Message
CobaltBlue
Joined: 16-Mar-2019
Posts: 8
Hello---
I have several coins from the Rhine Pfalz area in the 1500s to 1600s with a globus cruciger on them. On the bottom half of these globus symbols is a Z. Does anyone know what that Z stands for? Also, one of these coins is a Half Batzen from Pfaltz-Simmern. It was issued in 1571 by Richard as Count Palatine under Maximillian as Holy Roman Emperor. Maximilian's title is shown as MAXI · Z · ROMA · IMP · DEC, which translates to Maximilian Z_____ Romanorum Imperator Decreto, or Maximillian ______ Roman Emperor by Decree. Does anyone know what this Z stands for, in Latin and/or English? Many Thanks---
Napoleon1
Joined: 18-Jul-2018
Posts: 89
Quote: "CobaltBlue"​Hello---
​I have several coins from the Rhine Pfalz area in the 1500s to 1600s with a globus cruciger on them. On the bottom half of these globus symbols is a Z. Does anyone know what that Z stands for? Also, one of these coins is a Half Batzen from Pfaltz-Simmern. It was issued in 1571 by Richard as Count Palatine under Maximillian as Holy Roman Emperor. Maximilian's title is shown as MAXI · Z · ROMA · IMP · DEC, which translates to Maximilian Z_____ Romanorum Imperator Decreto, or Maximillian ______ Roman Emperor by Decree. Does anyone know what this Z stands for, in Latin and/or English? Many Thanks---
​The ‘Z’ is actually a numeral 2. It indicates that the coin is a 2 kreuzer (which of course is also equal to a 1/2 batzen).
Welcome also to Numista :D
CobaltBlue
Joined: 16-Mar-2019
Posts: 8
Thank you for pointing out that the Z on the globus is actually a 2, not a Z. Now that I look at other denominations, I see other numbers there. Also, thank you to a previous poster from yesterday, who mentioned that a Z in a legend could be for "et cetera". I see that the post disappeared over night for some reason, but that was valuable information.
Napoleon1
Joined: 18-Jul-2018
Posts: 89
Quote: "CobaltBlue"​Thank you for pointing out that the Z on the globus is actually a 2, not a Z. Now that I look at other denominations, I see other numbers there. Also, thank you to a previous poster from yesterday, who mentioned that a Z in a legend could be for "et cetera". I see that the post disappeared over night for some reason, but that was valuable information.
Welcome :D You will also see this in dates on some coins, as well. I have several German States talers that have this variation (8Z instead of 82, for example). I have never heard of Z indicating et cetera in certain cases before~ maybe another member can shed some light on this.
ZacUK Numista team, Moderator
Joined: 3-Jan-2011
Posts: 6149
About two-fifths of the way down this page ...
http://muzeydeneg.ru/eng/?p=550
so if there is a lot of lettering that ideally the mint would like on a coin,
in the past they had to remove some lettering and put a Z in to indicate such removal -
to then make shorter lettering to be able to fit on the coin.
My collections >
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=13560800
also 13750057 also 15924495 also 15995337
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=16060326
Napoleon1
Joined: 18-Jul-2018
Posts: 89
Quote: "ZacUK"​ About two-fifths of the way down this page ...
http://muzeydeneg.ru/eng/?p=550
​so if there is a lot of lettering that ideally the mint would like on a coin,
​in the past they had to remove some lettering and put a Z in to indicate such removal -
​to then make shorter lettering to be able to fit on the coin.
​Glad to learn the explanation in the case of when it appears in a legend :)
ZacUK Numista team, Moderator
Joined: 3-Jan-2011
Posts: 6149
Yes. Surprised they did not use it on this coin ...
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces36558.html
with an unbelievable amount of abbreviations already on there. (8

½ Thaler (Carl Theodor) - Electorate of Bavaria (German states)

Obverse Lettering:
C TH D G C P R V B D S R I A & E & I P RH SV & I FR PRO & VIC
Carl Theodor Dei Gratia Comes Palatinus Rheni Utriusque Bavariae Dux Sacri Romani Imperii
Archidapifer et Elector et In Partibus Rheni Suevici et Juris Franconici Provisor et Vicarius

Reverse Lettering:
IVL CL & MONT D L L P M M M A Z C V S M & R D I R 1790
Juliaci Cliviae et Montium Dux Landgravius Leuchtenbergae Princeps Meursiae Marchio Montis
Ad Zonam Comes Veldentiae Sponhemi Marcae et Ravensbergae Dominus In Ravenstein 1790

Yes - I added those lettering translations to the coin page, and await referee approval.
My collections >
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=13560800
also 13750057 also 15924495 also 15995337
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=16060326

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 06:49AM.