Lead Coin, numeral 2 encircled by chain links, uniface [solved]

12 posts

» Quick access to the last post

7.7g
24mm

Reminds me of a Mexico revolutionary coin, or a coin from some other Spanish colony independence movement.
Looks like lead, not sure.
Any help is appreciated!
slavery money of some kind perhaps?
(chain)
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
I was thinking that same thing, but I wouldn't know what country that is. I checked Haiti and Liberia.
Interesting piece, you might try to contact an auction house such as Stack‘s Bowers
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Lánchíd bárca
(Chainbridge token) (i think you can find information just after the hungarian name)
Hungary
material: lead
They used this token at the Chainbrige in Budapest, before the offical open at 21/11/1849 the bridge was open temporary from 1848. They used this token just until the end of november if 1849.

nice one, in quite good condition
Why the number 2 or 3 (find it on google)?
Quote: "krezga"​Lánchíd bárca
​(Chainbridge token) (i think you can find information just after the hungarian name)
​Hungary
​material: lead
​They used this token at the Chainbrige in Budapest, before the offical open at 21/11/1849 the bridge was open temporary from 1848. They used this token just until the end of november if 1849.

​nice one, in quite good condition
​good find!!!
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
Quote: "luca biondi"​Why the number 2 or 3 (find it on google)?
http://archiv.magyarmuzeumok.hu/targy/1301_milyen_barcat_szeretek_

you can find number 4 or 8 too. The “bárca” word means token, jeton, this is an old hunagarian word, not in use anymore. They used it at first on the Budapest Chainbridge, and this was the first type. After almost every year the issued new types. Until 1866 they used the “néma-bárca”, thats mean silent, because was no text on it, just value. On the Chainbridge they stopped to use the jetons at 30/11/1918, after it was free.
The numbers: everyone had to pay different value to cross the bridge, depends on: just walk through, or walking, but maybe with a bag on your shoulder (thats more expensive), was different price for the cow, goat, pig etc.. different price was for everything: cart pulled with man, cart pulled with ox, chariot etc...
Fully satisfied!
Interesting thanks for identifying it.
I know of such (Brückenmarken or Tormarken, ...) also from Germany.
Tokens for paying the toll for passage of a bridge or also a city Gate for example.

here a City Gate Token to pay for passage through the city Gate of Mainz.

@ image courtesy of Teutoburger Münzauktion GmbH

with the many boarders and states you had in the past it would have been easy to make you go broke while travelling through central europe (So many boarder duties that you would have to pay).
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Quote: "apuking"​here a City Gate Token to pay for passage through the city Gate of Mainz.

​@ image courtesy of Teutoburger Münzauktion GmbH

​wooow! nice
krezga, that's the one, thank you!

Searching "Lánchíd bárca",
found this site:

http://katalogus.numismatics.hu/product_info.php/products_id/6380

which has the same type of coin as in the photo.
Status changed to Solved (Gvlielmvs, 28-May-2019, 20:56)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 11:25.