Sales turn offs.....

12 posts

» Quick access to the last post

There are certain terms used almost exclusively by disreputable coin sellers which give me an immediate red flag and I know that at that point I can safely stop reading. Others have been over-used to the point where they have lost all meaning.

Unsurprisingly eBay has the lions share of this type of drivel. We've all seen the dealers who described everything they sell as RARE!!!!!!!!!! One has to wonder what they would do if they ever had a genuinely rare coin instead of their overpriced pocket change. It's the same with anyone using "cool" or "wow!" in their listing, sorry but I prefer to trade with adults.

Here is a list of words and phrases which prompt me to move on:

RARE
RARE!!!
XXX RARE
GOLD PLATED
CONCHO
HGE
WOW!
ESTATE
HOARD
POLISHED
BLAST WHITE
INB
SGS
GRANDAD, GRAMPA ETC.
JUNK DRAWER
FRANKLIN MINT
PLATED IN SOLID SILVER/GOLD
COLORIZED
FANTASY ISSUE
UNSEARCHED
SPECIAL COMMEMORATIVE
TREASURE!
ELVIS
HARRY POTTER
RUBIES
OPALS
GOLD FLAKES
HIDDEN ROOM!!!

There is an eBay seller, a basement slabber, who has been selling "RARE" coins and "TREASURE" which he claims to have found inside an old grandfather clock in a hidden room he discovered. There is a picture of the clock with the back open and maybe 20 cigar boxes filled with "TREASURE". He has been running this game for years and by now has sold hundreds if not thousands of cigar boxes filled with pocket change, often for very high prices. Maybe he discovered a few more hidden rooms?
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
left out L@@K
If you've got Elvis and Harry Potter then you should add Kim Kardashian!
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon.

Coin catalogue referee for England, United Kingdom & pre-Union South Africa.
Banknote catalogue referee for England & United Kingdom.
I agree, they're annoying nuisance (some people have the cheek to describe their coins as 'rare unresearched'), but I recently bought a very good looking silver 20 escudo advertised with something like 'LQQQQQQQQQK', so I ultimately act pragmatic and concentrate on the subject of sale. It's rather the shabby quality of coin/bulk pictures that's a real turnoff to me.
Quote: radrick007If you've got Elvis and Harry Potter then you should add Kim Kardashian!
james
Quote: Chasinva69left out L@@K
Ha ha, I think you'll find it is L@@K RARE! It is so rubbish...isn't it?
Your not being very fare, by "unsearched" what they mean is that there is no possible way that the bulk lot you are buying is unsearched and it does not have any valuable coins and most probably has some copper disks that are not even coins.

I mean clearly you can't buy unsearched bulk coins from world coin dealers that need to dispose of pounds of worthless coins, so they can't mean "unsearched" as in leading some one to believe that there could be anything of value.
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
I like when it says...  unsearched with no Canadian or Mexican coins
Quote: redsmithstudiosYour not being very fare, by "unsearched" what they mean is that there is no possible way that the bulk lot you are buying is unsearched and it does not have any valuable coins and most probably has some copper disks that are not even coins.

I mean clearly you can't buy unsearched bulk coins from world coin dealers that need to dispose of pounds of worthless coins, so they can't mean "unsearched" as in leading some one to believe that there could be anything of value.
I was thinking of the "unsearched" rolls, which the buyer assumes to mean they were bought by an old collector from the bank decades ago and have been unopened ever since. The whole "unsearched" rolls scam was busted when one of the major sellers was found to have bought a coin rolling machine, bulk lots of IH cent culls, and a large number of empty 1950's coin sleeves just a week before he "discovered" a large "hoard" of "unsearched" rolls. The transaction was still visible in his purchase history. As far as I know he's still there selling unsearched rolls.

Most of these rolls of wheat cents will be 48 face value 1940's and 1950's junk with an Indian Head cent showing at each end of the roll. They are marketed as "unsearched wheat cent rolls" but if they haven't been opened wouldn't you assume that the other 48 coiins were IH cents like the two visible ones? Why wheat cents, why not Mercury Dimes, Canadian Cents or British New Pennies.

Unsearched = carefully picked over pile of junk.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
I've gotta be honest, if it's RARE put it on here you'll get a better deal (for something YOU want) instead of waiting in anticipation 'ooh pooh(politeness) will it sell/end auction/hope for the best.
NUMISTA BEST SITE FOR ME  :love:
A couple I saw today...

OLD
SUPER NICE!
LARGER COIN
FOREIGN COIN (a Polish zlotych - now I know why I never got one in circulation. It's foreign). :o .
Those individuals who inflate their material by using terms to meant to raise interest, and presenting scenarios as "bought from a little old lady who was selling everything that she had to be able to ..." fall into a category that I refer to as persons of low morals". In my vicinity there is an "old Negro saying": "If a man will lie to you, then he will steal from you; and if he'll steal from you ... then he'll cut you!" It's a simple statement about Moral Incrementalism.

Another aspect among those who ill represent their items on public auctions, etc., are those who because of their own ignorance, fail to properly describe their material. One of the major failings is improper spelling, which is all too often simply because of unwillingness to use such services as Spell Check". The major failing that I've noticed ... and consequently used to my advantage, is the misspelling of "Foreign" by juxtaposing the "e" & the "i" resulting with "Foriegn". These auctions usually have fewer bidders, therefore the chances of winning are proportionately higher.

Using the least offensive definition of foreign, from countries other than your own, makes this term inappropriate for international transactions. The better term to use is world.

Fortunately,  eBay has those who constantly use "foriegn" as those of us who are slightly more literate may have an edge over those who are not.

Here is a list of words and phrases which prompt me to slow down and look:

"Foriegn" ... for the reasons listed above.

Bank notes: ... because banknotes is the most common term used, so their auction will probably draw fewer viewers, and therefore giving a better opportunity to those who do view their auction.

Currency: ... for the reason listed above.

Notes:  ... for the reason listed above.

Paper Money:  ... for the reason listed above.

Japanese Government: ... this inevitably is a reference to the Japanese Occupation of Burma (Cents & Rupees), Malaysia (Cents & Dollars), Netherlands East Indies (Cent, Gulden, and Roepiah), Oceania (Shillings & Pounds) and the Philippines (Centavos & Pesos). However, it is an indicator that the Seller is less than an informed individual and may have some interesting that others may miss.

Simple listings as Chinese, Indian, Swiss, Thai, etc. Although the terms are correct, usually the average seller lists their material by the correct "short name" of the country, as China, Japan, India, Switzerland, & Thailand. This being so, the chances of having as many viewers are lessened.

Conclusion:
Sellers using proper spelling and the most commonly used names and terms have better chances for success than those who do not.
Buyers can improve their chances for a successful, less competitive auction by being aware of those who make their auctions less visible.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 01:52.