Menu

Canadian 50 Cents Victoria [solved]

CassTaylor
Hello,

I got around to continuing my Canadian type collection recently, and I noticed that even in AG 3 (using the Sheldon scale), the Victorian 50 cents are still in the neighbourhood of 50 euros per piece. Is there any reason for this? Were they recoined/melted down at some point and if so why?
une franglaise; ♪ je brosse ma chevelure ♫
harryg
I would attribute it to very small mintage and attrition.
Camerinvs
Yes, they're pretty expensive ─ especially when you compare with British and French silver of the same period and of comparable size. The cheapest in the series happen to be the earlier issues, but even these are quite expensive (1870-1881, except for the scarce 1870 no LCW).

May be low mintages are the reason for this, as harryg says, but are they that low in 1870 at 450,000 (all varieties included) and in 1871 (no H) at 200,000? May be many were melted at the time when the silver content was reduced from sterling to 80% in 1920.

The lowest mintage is 1890 at only 20,000. That's the rarest Canadian Victorian coin followed by the 1889 10¢.
It's "its", not "it's", or is it?
It's "guerrilla warfare", not "gorilla warfare", it is!
loruca
You can get dateless ones for scrap, and 20$ or so for really cheap dated ones.
But yes, most were worn out due to excessive circulation.
I collect anything: If it's Italian or Italian states i collect it even more!
Status changed to Solved (CassTaylor, 16-Apr-2019, 08:18AM)
CassTaylor
Ah, so not as expensive as looking on Ebay suggested- there was one being sold for 45 USD in AG-G condition.

Thanks everyone!
une franglaise; ♪ je brosse ma chevelure ♫
Mr. Midnight
In those days the half dollar was a real work horse of the economy, they circulated a lot, and wore out.
The US analog of the time, the Barber half dollar, is also rather high priced in better grades for the same reason.
I had collected Barbers when I was younger, and despaired of finishing the set, or affording even common dates in condition above 20.
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
Camerinvs
Whatever you do, don't buy this one:

Canada 50¢ *with* LCW

Without LCW it would indeed be worth about US $900... But as is, with LCW, which might be (almost) entirely worn out, it's actually worth about US $55.
It's "its", not "it's", or is it?
It's "guerrilla warfare", not "gorilla warfare", it is!

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 04:26PM.