Ancient Greece coin identification

12 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hello Numistas

Can someone help to identify this coin?
thank you and best regards
Pedro Branco
It's ancient Egyptian, Ptolemaic dynasty. I can't tell which Ptolemy exactly it is, there were about a dozen of them all named Ptolemy. Maybe someone with better knowledge of ancient Egyptian coinage can answer it. :)

EDIT: I was wrong, as apuking says it's Seleukid not Egyptian.
I collect and deal in ancient Roman coin. In case you're looking for affordable ancient coins or need any help with the coins you already have send me a message.
hmm looks like silver plated copper but I think the coin should be silver.
Not very good on such coins but I think it would be a copy of a Seleukid Empire coin.
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Hello,

It is supposed to be a tetradrachm issued by Ptolemy V in the name of his father Ptolemy IV "Philopator". Very rare (and expensive) coin. See here :
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1099243
However, there are some minors differences (monogram, star, etc.).

But i sincerely doubt the authenticity of your coin. Could you please provide weight and diameter?
Hello Choucas
The weight is 7,5 g and size 27mm, but the eagle is standing right
propably a forgery/copy
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
Dear Numista coleagues
Please find attached more photos of the coin, I payed 67 Euros for it and if its a fake one I will give it back to the seller. Thank you all for your help on this subject.
best regards

Pedro
Is there a seem on the rim? That means it is cast and not struck.
I have bought several of such coins, as tourist coins
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
Quote: "PEDROBRANCO"​Dear Numista coleagues
​Please find attached more photos of the coin, I payed 67 Euros for it and if its a fake one I will give it back to the seller. Thank you all for your help on this subject.
​best regards

​Pedro
​You got it from the internet or a physical seller?
Hello Giobruno
a physical seller at a Flea Market in São Paulo
Feirinha de Antiguidades de domingo no vão livre do MASP
Quote: "PEDROBRANCO"​Feirinha de Antiguidades de domingo no vão livre do MASP
​Como você comprou pessoalmente pelo menos você pode ir lá devolver e explicar que ela é falsa e o por quê, e depois pedir reembolso.
//
As you've bought in person at least you can go there to return it and explain that it's a fake and why, and later ask for refund.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 16:17.