10 Cash -China empire [solved]

20 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Kindly help me in identifying correctly this Chines cash coin year and numista link please

dia 28 mm approx
coin collector.....
Is it one of these in the Numista catalogue?
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
My guess is this one https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces15604.html

But not able to find the exact year/mint mark exact variety
coin collector.....
Quote: "arvin11"​My guess is this one https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces15604.html

​But not able to find the exact year/mint mark exact variety
​correct but it’s 1907
Quote: "KLiao"
Quote: "arvin11"​My guess is this one https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces15604.html
​​
​​But not able to find the exact year/mint mark exact variety
​​correct but it’s 1907
​Are you sure it's not 1906 (午 丙)?

Also, in the Numista catalogue, the mintmark is incused inside a raised circle, unlike arvin11's coin. Is it just a minor variant?
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Quote: "Camerinvs"

​​​
​​​But not able to find the exact year/mint mark exact variety
​​​correct but it’s 1907
​​Are you sure it's not 1906 (午 丙)?

​Also, in the Numista catalogue, the mintmark is incused inside a raised circle, unlike arvin11's coin. Is it just a minor variant?
​no it’s 1907. And yes it is just a variant
Thank you for identifying the year 1907 ,still I am puzzled 1907 has 11 variants/mint mark, which one is mine. Kindly help.
coin collector.....
Quote: "Camerinvs"​​​​​Are you sure it's not 1906 (午 丙)?
​​​​Also, in the Numista catalogue, the mintmark is incused inside a raised circle, unlike arvin11's coin. Is it just a minor variant?
​​no it’s 1907. And yes it is just a variant

Would you be kind enough to tell us where the date is on the coin and what characters are used for 1907?

Thanks.
Quote: "Camerinvs"​​​​​Are you sure it's not 1906 (午 丙)?
​​​​​Also, in the Numista catalogue, the mintmark is incused inside a raised circle, unlike arvin11's coin. Is it just a minor variant?
​​​no it’s 1907. And yes it is just a variant
​​
​Would you be kind enough to tell us where the date is on the coin and what characters are used for 1907?

​Thanks.
​the middle mark on the back
I didn't thought it would be this tough identifying this coin on Numista ....very puzzling  !
I have found a similar coin in this link http://ykleungn.tripod.com/ning.htm that confirm the year 1906 and mint mark at the center is a Chinese character "Ning" meaning 'Kiangnan Province, inscribed in center, but it's not listed on numista or I am not able to find it.
I have also contacted the Chinese empire referee regarding this ,still waiting for response.
I will request anyone who is expert in Chinese coins kindly share his/her valuable knowledge on this .
Thank you.
coin collector.....
Quote: "arvin11"​I didn't thought it would be this tough identifying this coin on Numista ....very puzzling  !
​I have found a similar coin in this link http://ykleungn.tripod.com/ning.htm that confirm the year 1906 and mint mark at the center is a Chinese character "Ning" meaning 'Kiangnan Province, inscribed in center, but it's not listed on numista or I am not able to find it.
​I have also contacted the Chinese empire referee regarding this ,still waiting for response.
​I will request anyone who is expert in Chinese coins kindly share his/her valuable knowledge on this .
​Thank you.
​It is, indeed, 1906, and the middle mark is, indeed, the mint mark. On top of it, check again, I think it is in Numista because Kiangnan and Jiangnan are two and the same.

EDIT: I have just tried this google search:

Y#10k (Jiangnan)

and it looks like you should be able to find the info to distinguish the different Yeoman numbers (Y# ...). This info should be added to the catalogue, otherwise we can't tell what's the difference between Y# 10k, 10k.1, etc.

EDIT 2: This is the results on NGC World Coin Price Guide:

China, Provincial → Kiangnan, Province → 10 Cash
Quote: "arvin11"​I didn't thought it would be this tough identifying this coin on Numista ....very puzzling  !
​​I have found a similar coin in this link http://ykleungn.tripod.com/ning.htm that confirm the year 1906 and mint mark at the center is a Chinese character "Ning" meaning 'Kiangnan Province, inscribed in center, but it's not listed on numista or I am not able to find it.
​​I have also contacted the Chinese empire referee regarding this ,still waiting for response.
​​I will request anyone who is expert in Chinese coins kindly share his/her valuable knowledge on this .
​​Thank you.
​​It is, indeed, 1906, and the middle mark is, indeed, the mint mark. On top of it, check again, I think it is in Numista because Kiangnan and Jiangnan are two and the same.

​EDIT: I have just tried this google search:

Y#10k (Jiangnan)

​and it looks like you should be able to find the info to distinguish the different Yeoman numbers (Y# ...). This info should be added to the catalogue, otherwise we can't tell what's the difference between Y# 10k, 10k.1, etc.
​I can tell one of the possible differences: the dragons' design.
I got a Jiangnan coin like yours ~2 months ago but with small differences in the dragon comparing to your coin and to the one in the coin's page, almost thought mine was a fake because of that (despite being a worn copper).
On Colnect these variants are separate pages, I've identified it first there because of this.
I agree that there should be more info to distinguish the variants.
I added an "EDIT 2" as you posted your message, Giobruno; just a link to NGC where the variants are also listed separately.
"Year" read from right to left on coin.....丙午

Quote from catalog for your reference, check......

Quote: "Camerinvs"​I added an "EDIT 2" as you posted your message, Giobruno; just a link to NGC where the variants are also listed separately.
​Thanks, it determined my exact variant (Y# 10k.13)

Hope it help others.
Year => 午丙 = 1906, year of the horse 午 (1907 would bear 未丁, year of the goat 未)
Mintmark => 甯 = Jiangnan, no raised disk
Dragon => narrow face, dots for the eyes
Reference => Y#10k.3

Note: KM has a wrong picture illustrating 10k.2 as it should not have a raised disk for the mintmark.
Sapientiae plerumque stultitia est comes.
Si c'est un grand plaisir d'être reconnu par ses amis, c'est peut-être encore plus flatteur d'être reconnu par ses adversaires.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
Status changed to Solved (arvin11, 1-May-2019, 02:28)
Thank you everyone for sharing your expertise, Its a learning experience.This thread will help me identifying Chinese coins in future. :)
coin collector.....
Now I noticed that the variants got their own pages, one for each mintmark (province).
Good job to whoever did this!
Quote: "Giobruno"​Now I noticed that the variants got their own pages, one for each mintmark (province).
​Good job to whoever did this!
​Indeed, all split. :8D(8
Variants detailed within mintage section and pictures added to comment section.

Still many pictures missing so if you find some, feel free to send me. ;)
Sapientiae plerumque stultitia est comes.
Si c'est un grand plaisir d'être reconnu par ses amis, c'est peut-être encore plus flatteur d'être reconnu par ses adversaires.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 14:45.