Can two-date coins be cataloged and searched correctly?

3 posts

This message aims at: requesting the modification of a coin in the catalogue

Upvotes: 0
Downvotes: 0
When I use the Advanced Search and specify Jordan Year 1993 nothing shows up, but searching for Gregorian date 1993 shows the coins. But it seems obvious to me that Year should work as well.

Take a look at the 5 Qirsh coin: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces1736.html

The coin has two dates, AH and Gregorian, on the coin. The 1993 is listed as "1414 (1993)" but it should be listed as "1414-1993 (1993)" and searching for Year 1414 or 1993 should find it. The last column of the years description shows the Arabic digits shown on the coin.

Is the inability to search for the years on the coins through "Year" an inherent limitation of the catalog, or a short-cut taken when the coins are added?
Quote: "bjherbison"​​Is the inability to search for the years on the coins through "Year" an inherent limitation of the catalog, or a short-cut taken when the coins are added?
​It is there as a way to take other, non-Gregorian calendars into consideration.

The year function is meant to indicate what is written on the coin; the Gregorian date function is meant to indicate which Gregorian year the coin was struck. Of course, on places that only use the Gregorian calendar, there is no difference between the two.

It appears many (if not all) coins from Jordan use both the Islamic calendar and the Gregorian calendar. It would not make much sense to make the year '1993' because then there is no way to search the coin using the Islamic year. And making the year '1414-1993' would also not work, since that would involve using the no-date function, which is only meant to use the Gregorian dates. With that being said, I, personally, think the page works perfectly fine the way it currently is. :)
Other calendars are considered, through a specific line in Advanced search.

1414-1993 would be misleading as it indicates a range of date instead of a date conversiin between calendars.

In your case Jordan Year is not 1993 but rather 1414 while Gregorian year is indeed 1993.

If I'm right, simple search would work too i.e. if you search for 1993 the system would search the date in both ways (Gregorian or alternate calendar)...as long as the correct calendars are used within the file of course.
Sapientiae plerumque stultitia est comes.
Si c'est un grand plaisir d'être reconnu par ses amis, c'est peut-être encore plus flatteur d'être reconnu par ses adversaires.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
Status changed to Rejected (pejounet, 7-May-2019, 18:21)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 17:50.