Problems accessing the site [solved]

34 posts

This message aims at: reporting a bug

Upvotes: 13
Downvotes: 0

» Quick access to the last post

Hi
Am I the only person having problems over the last few days accessing the sites pages? I keep getting error messages and then when I refresh the page, it usually comes up. Is it me & my computer, my Virgin media broadband or the web? It's getting really annoying as I'm trying to add pages for coins in my collection that aren't already on and it makes it very slow going.:snif:
I have also been seeing "Temporarily Unavailable" notifications a few times each day.
Same here. Rather annoying.
I have same problem.
Did not seem to have any issues and I was online quite a lot in past days
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
From time to time I sell some coins on Ebay make sure to follow me @apuking on Ebay.
Yep, same here... but it lasts only maybe a minute or two.
Hi all

Thanks for responding. It seems it may be a web site problem as there are others having the same problem. Hopefully, the powers that be will read this and maybe look into it. At least I know I'm not the only person having this problem.
Such error comes from delay in server response when submitting a request i.e. you click on a link, it sends a request to the server to open the related page, the requests lasts for more than 30 seconds, the error is returned.

Some work has been done lately to optimize various parts of Numista and minimize such errors, still this may happen from time to time.
Sapientiae plerumque stultitia est comes.
Si c'est un grand plaisir d'être reconnu par ses amis, c'est peut-être encore plus flatteur d'être reconnu par ses adversaires.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
Status changed to Started (Xavier, 9-May-2019, 21:53)
Hello,
Do you see any improvement?
Hi
Unfortunately, it's happening several times a day. The latest was five or so minutes ago.
Faster loading on my side for about 30 minutes or so.
Sapientiae plerumque stultitia est comes.
Si c'est un grand plaisir d'être reconnu par ses amis, c'est peut-être encore plus flatteur d'être reconnu par ses adversaires.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
Hi all

Just an update but it is still doing it on and off.
I had this issue yesterday for a very short time.
Catalog Master Referee & Referee for UAE
https://www.instagram.com/amer.coins
Amer Salmeh
Hi AmerSalmeh

I'm wondering if it is something to do with the amount of traffic hitting the site at the time this occurs? In fairness to the site, it seems to be occurring less. I actually had a day yesterday where it didn't happen. I'm fairly certain that it is a server issue and hope that if we keep posting on here and maybe include times and dates it happened, it might help the sites admin to resolve it.
I got an unseen error message today:

"The database encountered a problem. Please try to refresh the page in a few minutes (press F5). (MySQL 13-May-2019 09:55:22)"
ūūūūū
Quote: "deckhanddave"​Hi AmerSalmeh

​I'm wondering if it is something to do with the amount of traffic hitting the site at the time this occurs? In fairness to the site, it seems to be occurring less. I actually had a day yesterday where it didn't happen. I'm fairly certain that it is a server issue and hope that if we keep posting on here and maybe include times and dates it happened, it might help the sites admin to resolve it.
​I was active working here yesterday and the error happened a couple of times, though each time was for a very short period, but still the issue is still there
Amer Salmeh
Hi AmerSalmeh
Thanks for entering into this thread. As I am a 'noob' so to speak, to this site, I just want to say something. Some might view my starting this topic and encouraging people to log problems on it as maybe being a bit 'cheeky' or irritating. I would like everyone to know, that this is the best Forum I have ever used. It has helped me so many times in the past, that when I took the time to investigate the site fully, I naturally joined. My way of thanking everyone on here is to give as much input as I can to make sure this site continues to be great. I'm sure the powers that be cannot be aware of everything that occurs and especially if it is something that appears sporadically and is a small inconvenience. I thought that doing this would be a good way of monitoring it and seeing if there was a visible pattern to it. To update from my side of things, I haven't had it happen since the last time I mentioned it on here but will continue to post on this subject until it appears it has been resolved. Thanks again everyone for taking time to read and post on this thread.
Thanks for your supportive feedback. I'm trying several adjustments to avoid downtimes.
Quote: "numinis"​I got an unseen error message today:

​"The database encountered a problem. Please try to refresh the page in a few minutes (press F5). (MySQL 13-May-2019 09:55:22)"
​The database was busy around that time and stopped accepting new connections. I'm looking how to avoid this.
Hi Xavier

Thanks for looking into this problem. I hope the times and dates I've asked people to put on will help identify the problem. I reckon you have hit the nail on the head though. Maybe the number of members has increased quite recently and the servers are struggling with coping with heavy demand. In addition, it's possible that there are a lot more people using the site for reference purposes. Before I joined up, I used to use it regularly to get info on coins I was considering purchasing and frequently got an idea of their value. I hope the problem is down to the sites success and popularity. If there is any other information that may be of use to you which we can record here, please let us know.
I have been having the same issue for several days and as recently as 20 minutes ago.
Yes still quite very often
though each time is for less than a min
Amer Salmeh
I've been having the same problem on my end. I initially thought maybe it was the connection on my old school computer, but I just switched to my latest and greatest, and encountered the issue about a minute ago. Refreshed and all good.
Hello.
It happens to me so often that I am used to this problem. But it really keeps me from working.
I have been working on this for the past few days, optimizing queries and trying various database configuration. Results are not really visible so far and I'm still on it.
Site is working very fast right now. Works like it was years ago. Maybe i am the only one on right now?
Hi all
It has been some time now since I first experienced this problem. From my end it seems that whatever Xavier has been doing has worked. Are there any other members out there still suffering this problem? If so please post soon. If it stays clear with no posts I'll mark it resolved after a week, unless Xavier thinks it worth keeping open. I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank Xavier for what he has been doing as it seems to be working.
According to the latest figures, this still occurs for 1 of 5000 pages.
maybe tokens and exonumia is causing this?
since opening any of these "countries" will load up a lot of results?

^ which is why they should be split into issuers just like coins
Amer Salmeh
Hi Xavier and AmerSalmeh

Thanks again for posting on this thread. I'm surprised to hear that the problem still exists as I haven't had it again since I last posted on here about it. AmerSalmeh raises a good point, if someone is requesting a large catalogue then that would tie up some server memory if it is handling one large request and hundreds of others at the same time. I wonder if the servers prioritise requests somehow and that causes the delay for some requests? Is any of this possible Xavier? Also, does it help to have people log the time and date of their problem? There's something else in the back of my mind, which this problem reminds me of in the way it develops but I haven't quite managed to drag it out yet. It's my age 8) When I do, I'll mention it on here.
The site is still timing out on me.
Happened to me yesterday too
Amer Salmeh
Me too, daily basis. This morning also.
Status changed to Solved (Xavier, 28-May-2019, 21:39)
Hello,
Logs show no errors since the last optimization 3 days ago. I consider this as solved :)
Yaaay!
Thanks for that update Xavier. Let's hope it doesn't resurrect in the future. Thanks for all the hard work you put in to solving this. Cheers mate.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 15:52.