Menu

Chinese Cash Coin - I have inherited coins, and I need guidance, coin 2 - see details in the text. [solved]

Fribert
Hi,
I have inherited a lot of coins from many countries, two of these are two
chinese cash coins (so I think) with the typical square hole in the middle.
However, I am danish, and my chinese is not good, so I hope someone here
can help me translate what is written on these two coins, what region they are
from and what year and any other relevant information related to these two
coins. also, are they of any value / are they rare?

The two coins are very similar, but different physical size and some of the text. Here are the details
of the second coin, I have opened another question on the first coin:

Coin 2 (the larger):

Diameter approximately 24.5 mm.
Thickness approximately 1.3 mm.
Weight approximately 4.4 gram.

See picture.
Seeker55
Emperor KAO TSUNG, AD 1736-1795
reign title: CH'IEN-LUNG

Similar to your other coin, but this is the regular Ch'ien Lung variety, minted 1736-1795

http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/china/china8.htm#chien%20lung
Fribert
Thank you for your hint. Very Good Hint!

Follow-Up on the actual Chinese/Manchu signs:

Side 1:
Is it true that two of the signs are equivalent to "Qianlong" and the two
other signs means "Currency"?

I guess that "Qianlong" (the sixth emperor of the Manchu-led Qing dynasty) is equal to Ch'ien-Lung?

Or am I getting the signs wrong?

Also I thought that Kao Tsung was much older -> 1107-1187?

Sorry, probably novice question. I am new to these signs.

Side 2:
Is this "Boo-Yuwan -> Board of Works, Beijing / Pao-yuan or "The Source of all Currency", in Manchu print?

Thanks
Fribert
Seeker55
On question 2, yes, Boo-Yuwan, Board of Works
Sorry, I can't help with question 1 - not an expert on Chinese coins. I just look them up using the Calgary identification site and/or a book "Chinese Cash: Identification and Price Guide"
Fribert
Thanks Seeker55,

I will work it out....- side 1...

I am also sure that the other coin (the smaller one) I posted (side 2) is:
"Boo-chiowan" or "Boo-Ciowan" -> Board of Revenue, Beijing / Pao-Ch'uan, or "The Fountain head of the Currency", in Manchu print.

I think that some confusion may be the way that Chinese is/was originally translated to English by some.

Chien-Lung and Qianlong seems to be 1711-1799 - same person, however, some refer to the 4. emperor and some to the 6. emperor. This could be because this person was emperor of more than one dynasty! But that is history :-) I will figure it out. As I read, these are not valuable coins, but I find them interesting..

Thanks
Fribert
cmaclean
Quote: "Fribert "​Chien-Lung and Qianlong seems to be 1711-1799 - same person, however, some refer to the 4. emperor and some to the 6. emperor. This could be because this person was emperor of more than one dynasty! But that is history :-) I will figure it out. As I read, these are not valuable coins, but I find them interesting..

They are the same person. Ch'ien Lung is how his name was ​Romanised in the Wade-Giles method and Qianlong is it in the newer (and easier, in my opinion) Pinyin method.

Qianlong was the 6th emperor of the Qing Dynasty, but only the 4th emperor of that dynasty to rule much of China.

I find them interesting too. I have a few, all of which are common cheap coins, but I love cataloguing them. The sheer number of varieties is mind boggling. David Hartill's catalogue lists over 1,500 different types and varieties for the Qing Dynasty alone. The coins acted as a gateway into an area of history that I would have probably ignored otherwise.
Numista referee for Scotland.
cmaclean
Handy Pinyin pronunciation guide from William Rowe's China's Last Empire: The Great Qing (Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2009)

Numista referee for Scotland.
Status changed to Solved (Fribert, 18-May-2019, 08:37AM)
Topic locked (Numista Robot, 16-Aug-2019, 05:47AM)

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 04:57AM.