Gold

13 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Hi, I have some gold coins that I presume were used as jewelry. Arghh. Some have holes in them; another has a loop welded to a side, I presume to put on a chain. My question is--do these coins have value only now as melt down coins. I presume any value as a collectable coin is gone but I wanted to make sure I am assuming correctly. Thanks for any weigh-in.
It depends on the type of coin you have. If it's something very rare and desirable even if holed it will fetch a premium, if it's common it's most likely worth just it's melt value. Post photos of the coins to get a more detailed answer. :)
I collect and deal in ancient Roman coin. In case you're looking for affordable ancient coins or need any help with the coins you already have send me a message.

Here they are. I believe the 1st one (top right) that is engraved (!?!) is a half sovereign. Hope it's easy to match the picture with what I have noted. The picture needs to be rotated 90 degrees to the left but I don't know how to do that here!

Half sovereign 1837
Half sovereign 1889
5 Dollars 1881
1 dollar 1862
1 dollar 1857
1 dollar 1861
1 dollar date illegible or not struck
1 dollar 1850
1 dollar 1850

Thanks a lot for any help. Last thing, I see signs all around "Cash for Gold." Do they tend to pay a fraction of buillon prices? V/R, Joan
would need to see the backs too, that is where the mint marks are, below the eagle or wreath.
basicly, a coin with any mint mark letter will be worth substantially more than bullion even with the hole, but the Philadelpia minted coins with no mint mark will be worth bullion.

you can check the current spot price of gold by typing " gold price" into google. then you can shop around and find out what dealer offers the highest price.
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
Thanks again. I do not see any mint marks on any of them. I am thinking on a couple of the dollar coins the hole is punched just about where the mint mark would be if there were one. I also have what I assume are copper coins a few with a nasty old string attached through the holes. Guess I am failing to put myself in that moment in time, but why anyone would put one of these nasty old strings with a dirty coin around his neck..I don't get it! Thanks for your help. ..well, I guess I do..if it's the only money you had!
They all seem to be cleaned.

The first half sovereign is beautiful. It has been etched as a love token. That will definitely sell for above scrap. I’m guessing $250-$300

for the other half sovereign sovereign you should be able to get about $170-$200
$5 gold-around $350-$375
all $1 gold-$130-$150 each

Please don’t quote me on these prices. These prices are just my opinion on their market value. If your looking to sell, I might be interested in purchasing one of your gold dollars. Please PM me if your looking to sell
Quote: "KLiao"​They all seem to be cleaned.

​all $1 gold-$130-$150 each

​Please don’t quote me on these prices. These prices are just my opinion on their market value. If your looking to sell, I might be interested in purchasing one of your gold dollars. Please PM me if your looking to sell
​Wow, cleaned and holed at twice melt value. I need buyers like you.
Quote: "harryg"
Quote: "KLiao"​They all seem to be cleaned.
​​
​​
​​all $1 gold-$130-$150 each
​​
​​Please don’t quote me on these prices. These prices are just my opinion on their market value. If your looking to sell, I might be interested in purchasing one of your gold dollars. Please PM me if your looking to sell
​​Wow, cleaned and holed at twice melt value. I need buyers like you.
I might buy them all if you want to sell at melt price.
The problem with these coins are that they are holed and cleaned. They will sell but will take lots of time and effort but eventually you will find a buyer. I just hate it when old American coin like these get melted down just for the gold even though they do have problems. The love token on the other hand Might be easy sell at that price.
So sad to see beautiful coins like that holed out and with black marks from the bore.

As they are all tiny pieces, I would subtract $10 each from the prices, for the amount of gold destroyed in the boring process.

Cash for gold places, will generally pay melt only on Gold coins and then some of the unscrupulous ones will try and diddle you by saying the gold is lower purity or have scales that underweigh it. Some may even charge small fees and percentages in the gold prices for your time. You should get melt at least, if they offer you less - go elsewhere.

Not sure about where you are, but gold buyers in New Zealand must be reigistered, check ID of sellers who leave their details and pay at least the spot melt price.
I love coins
Quote: "KLiao"
​The first half sovereign is beautiful. It has been etched as a love token. That will definitely sell for above scrap. I’m guessing $250-$300

It's not a half sovereign, it's the same size as the unetched sovereign next to it and the US $5 dollar coin next to that. Therefore one would assume it's a sovereign.

To sell that above melt, you would need to find a collector of such love tokens that would be willing to pay more than melt for it- to someone like me who isn't, that's just a hunk of gold worth spot.
Quote: "CassTaylor"
Quote: "KLiao"​​
​​The first half sovereign is beautiful. It has been etched as a love token. That will definitely sell for above scrap. I’m guessing $250-$300
​​

​It's not a half sovereign, it's the same size as the unetched sovereign next to it and the US $5 dollar coin next to that. Therefore one would assume it's a sovereign.

I was just going off what he/she said. Assuming they were correct about it being a half sovereign​
Quote: "Moneytane"​So sad to see beautiful coins like that holed out and with black marks from the bore.

​As they are all tiny pieces, I would subtract $10 each from the prices, for the amount of gold destroyed in the boring process.

​Cash for gold places, will generally pay melt only on Gold coins and then some of the unscrupulous ones will try and diddle you by saying the gold is lower purity or have scales that underweigh it. Some may even charge small fees and percentages in the gold prices for your time. You should get melt at least, if they offer you less - go elsewhere.

​Not sure about where you are, but gold buyers in New Zealand must be reigistered, check ID of sellers who leave their details and pay at least the spot melt price.
Why would a gold place pay spot price, they wouldn’t be able to make any money? I thought they paid 80-90% and the spread was their profit...​
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
Quote: "redsmithstudios"
Quote: "Moneytane"​So sad to see beautiful coins like that holed out and with black marks from the bore.
​​
​​As they are all tiny pieces, I would subtract $10 each from the prices, for the amount of gold destroyed in the boring process.
​​
​​Cash for gold places, will generally pay melt only on Gold coins and then some of the unscrupulous ones will try and diddle you by saying the gold is lower purity or have scales that underweigh it. Some may even charge small fees and percentages in the gold prices for your time. You should get melt at least, if they offer you less - go elsewhere.
​​
​​Not sure about where you are, but gold buyers in New Zealand must be reigistered, check ID of sellers who leave their details and pay at least the spot melt price.
​Why would a gold place pay spot price, they wouldn’t be able to make any money? I thought they paid 80-90% and the spread was their profit...​
The many gold place​s in my area give 60% 70 if your lucky

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 03:13.