Cleaning coins with coca cola.

13 posts

» Quick access to the last post

Have any of you experimented with cleaning the dirt off of coins with coca cola? I experimented a little with a few Thai coins that were going to be put back into circulation. The dirt comes of nicely and "enhances" (notice quote marks) the patina on some that had been exposed to who knows what.

Are there other threads buried in the forum on the subject? Can you post here please?

Does coca cola do any damage to the metal of the coins?

I'm not looking to make this a regular habit but was more interested in what others before have learned about this.
Topic moved to "Numismatic questions" (ZacUK, 3-Jun-2019, 06:25)
I came across this when looking for info on cleaning zinc coins. coca-cola has phosphoric acid which is a good, mild acid for this purpose.
From what I have read, ordinary white vinegar works just as well.
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
I have done the coke trick with modern circulation finds, i was happy with the result.
yes does damage coins depends on material and how long tho, coke cola? im guessing Pepsi going to do the same for cheaper or any carbonated drink.
coca cola destroys any patination on the coin
we do not own our coins, we are merely guardians of them for future generations.
Quote: "alfred1"​coca cola destroys any patination on the coin
​I'm thinking that's why a yellow tint shows up on some of the coins. In my conclusion its better not to use cola on coins. Stick with acetone would be better for common circulation stuff.
Generally, it’s not a good idea to use coca cola to clean coins as it might result in some damage. Substances like detergents and carbonated drinks can be powerful and abrasive. It’s always better to use a mild soap instead...
Somewhat irrelevant, but one of my coin friends puts silver coins in his Diet Coke:

(Don't ask me why either) 8~
I did that once with a bunch of cheap world coins. The coins generally came out shinier, but if some coins are allowed to contact each other, a green outline caused by some sort of corrosion sometimes appeared.

I also tried cleaning copper coins with vinegar. The key is to wash them thoroughly afterwards and not let a trace of vinegar remain. I had my first ever coin, the one that started my entire collection, a 2010 Lincoln Shield penny destroyed beyond repair because I didn’t wash it properly. I still have it though.
光復香港 時代革命
五大訴求 缺一不可
Liberate Hong Kong, Revolution of our times
Hello

something like I'm looking to clean coins,

I have a collection and bariety and I have no idea how to clean them, they were in a very old box and some can no longer see the figures, I have tried with toothpaste and charcoal powder for the silver coins and it works very well, but I do not risk the others. some advice to clean them by variety ...

Thank you. :wiz:
Cleaning coins with coke and vinegar works because they are acidic and take the outer surface off the coin. If you cared about your coins you wouldn't let these products anywhere near your coins.
What? Me Worry
I personally do not believe in cleaning coins at all,I will not buy cleaned coins as I don't want any in my collection.Cleaned coins devalue the coins and shaves money from your profits when selling.I can spot a cleaned coin a mile away and I stay clear of them.My Thoughts are when you clean a coin you are trying to fool the buyer to get a larger profit.I value my reputation more than that and like to sleep easy at night with a clear conscience.
It depends what you mean by cleaning. There are ways to clean a coin that do not damage the coin itself, soaking in alcohol or soapy water and wiping with a soft cloth will remove grease and grime without damaging the coin or the toning of the coin.

Soaking in a weak acid will remove dirt and grime, toning, and the top layer of the coin.
What? Me Worry

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 22:00.