Menu

More newbie questions!

Raibas
Hello again, everyone. I'm back with a few more newbie questions, although they are a bit more specific this time. I look forward to any and all opinions I can get!

1. Are there any basic "rules" to buying uncleaned ancient coins online? Just like anything else I know to research the seller, look at comparable lots, read the reviews, and look for the usual buzzwords (Nordic Gold, German Silver, etc).

2. What is the best way to determine "AU" in shiny copper nickel coins? The word "almost" sounds very opinionated, so is it just a matter of finding a shiny coin with no scratches?

3. What is the established opinion on how to designate offset obverse and reverse on a cardboard 2 x 2 flip?

4. For you banknote loving folks: I came into possession of a few of the new(ish) Canadian polymer banknotes. How would you go about assessing the grade of a polymer note?

Thank you to everyone who voices an opinion. They will all be read and valued!
Saber82
Well I can only answer question no3. There is no right or wrong in obverse and reverse. If you want the most accurate way of obverse and reverse, you will have to find articles from the mint and follow from there.

https://www.usmint.gov/coins/coin-medal-programs/circulating-coins/quarter

Because some people arrange it in albums to look nice regardless of obverse or reverse. I suggest to also documentation down on word because informations like these does get lost after a certain number of years or they changed.

Question no 4.Regarding on polymer notes, I think polymer notes is the most easy to keep in good condition as compare to paper. Paper corner always get blunt easily and cause them to be Aunc with no folds. Polymer notes only problem is if your finger is oily, the notes will be stain easily. Just enjoy collecting will do. I also enjoy collecting without care so much of the grading of the notes unless it really bad, and the price is wrong I skipped.

For storing and sorting of banknotes, you can read the link I posted awhile ago.

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic80644.html

Enjoy.
Be kind to people. Sharing is Caring. Collect what you like and not by the Crowd.
To seek for perfection, it is too painful and there is a very high price to pay. To seek for something comfortable is more easy. To seek for nothing is even more easy.
halfdisme
For question 3, if you want a thumbnail explanation, the reverse usually has the denomination. However, there is no concrete rule to this.

If you are really asking which side to display face-up on your collection, that depends on what you wish to see first. If you are only collecting coins with elephants, why would you first which to see anything but elephants?

If you are collecting all the types of Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth, do you want to see xx number of her portraits; the name of the country (if it is not the UK); or the different reverse types?

A catalog, such as the Krause catalogs, will indicate which side they have been told that the issuer intended to be the obverse.

Welcome to Numista, and to coin collecting!
Raibas
Thank you both for your replies, and my apologies for not being clearer on question 3. What I mean is this:
If my coin is supposed to be medal oriented, and I turn it around to discover that the reverse is oriented at a 45 degree angle from the obverse how would I best illustrate this on my 2 x 2 cardboard flip? I'd thought of just writing it out, but I put quite a bit of information on them making space a scarce commodity. Thanks for your patience!
ZacUK Numista team, Moderator
I would do like someone did for this Proof error I have ...

It has all the written information on the obverse, like you say, and is aligned vertically -
so on the back a line would do. As it happens I also see that obverse is like your avatar picture! T.T
My collections >
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=13560800
also 13750057 also 15924495 also 15995337
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=16060326
Raibas
Quote: "ZacUK"​ I would do like someone did for this Proof error I have ...

​ It has all the written information on the obverse, like you say, and is aligned vertically -
​so on the back a line would do. As it happens I also see that obverse is like your avatar picture! T.T
​That is perfect! I'll be doing that with all my offset coins now. Thanks a bunch!

Any thoughts on questions 1,2, & 4?
Status changed to Solved (Raibas, 17-Jun-2019, 06:14PM)
Status changed to Opened (Raibas, 17-Jun-2019, 06:14PM)
ZacUK Numista team, Moderator
1. I do not collect ancients, so would not know.
2. Yes - 'just a matter of finding a shiny coin with no scratches'.
4. I do not collect banknotes, so would not know. Though I think
that a collector would prefer one with no creases or pinholes and so on.
My collections >
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=13560800
also 13750057 also 15924495 also 15995337
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=16060326
COINMAN1
When it comes to banknotes, I had a long discussion with a far better collector of banknotes than me, and informed me of the following, whether it's still true, I am not sure, but it seems very relevant.
The banknotes are graded with a number from 1 to 100.
100 being absolutely perfect, then with marks deducted if it has tears, rips, holes, creases, pen marks and any other detrimental reason.
Any of these detrimental reason would remove marks according to actual damage. On average, the reduction would be from 3-10, but could be worse.
He stated that most collectors, who wanted only the best, would not even look at banknotes with a score below 97, unless the banknote was rare.
I have to add, that his collection was truly the best I have ever seen, and was envious of it, but it was his only collecting hobby, so he could buy the best.
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
Raibas
Thank you both for the thoughtful replies, and thank you, Coinman, for the information on banknote grading. Now I just need more information on question #1.
COINMAN1
Like ZacUK, I do not collect coins of that era, so cannot help.
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
Saber82
Quote: "COINMAN1"​When it comes to banknotes, I had a long discussion with a far better collector of banknotes than me, and informed me of the following, whether it's still true, I am not sure, but it seems very relevant.
​The banknotes are graded with a number from 1 to 100.
​100 being absolutely perfect, then with marks deducted if it has tears, rips, holes, creases, pen marks and any other detrimental reason.
​Any of these detrimental reason would remove marks according to actual damage. On average, the reduction would be from 3-10, but could be worse.
​He stated that most collectors, who wanted only the best, would not even look at banknotes with a score below 97, unless the banknote was rare.
​I have to add, that his collection was truly the best I have ever seen, and was envious of it, but it was his only collecting hobby, so he could buy the best.
​Yes. Those are extreme collectors with very deep pockets. No pinhole, no foxing, no folds, no blunt corners, no splitting edges, not pressed, not washed are the main killer. Usually if notes that are more than 50 years no foxing are the hardest to find. I have seen before and the price is like ugh......

When it comes to polymer, only problem is folds and hands with oil. It will stain the notes.
Be kind to people. Sharing is Caring. Collect what you like and not by the Crowd.
To seek for perfection, it is too painful and there is a very high price to pay. To seek for something comfortable is more easy. To seek for nothing is even more easy.
Raibas
I can see how oil stains would be a big issue with polymer notes. I've got them tucked away for safekeeping and don't intend to handle them until it becomes time to trade them. Since they are current circulation bills, perhaps I could use them to buy a few nice coins from a Canadian member of Numista.

Now I just need information on question #1. Does anyone know a Numista member with a good amount of knowledge on that subject that wouldn't mind receiving an unsolicited private message from me?

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 07:56PM.