Black spots on modern uncirculated 2p coins.

5 posts
I have several uncirculated 2p coins in my collection which have developed small black spots, is there a way to get rid of them. Any help would be appreciated.
All the darkness in the world cannot hide the light of one small candle.
They are likely, what are known as carbon spots, they are caused by small drops of saliva which have landed on the coins whilst people have been talking. The saliva being mildly acidic corrodes the surface of the coin. So far as I know there is nothing that can be done without causing further damage to the coin.
Quote: "DecimalHunter"​They are likely, what are known as carbon spots, they are caused by small drops of saliva which have landed on the coins whilst people have been talking. The saliva being mildly acidic corrodes the surface of the coin. So far as I know there is nothing that can be done without causing further damage to the coin.
​Many thanks for the info, I will look up further info on this problem.
It’s very difficult to get rid of carbon spots from coins. Some experts say that acetone can be used to clean silver and cupro-nickel coins but not coins made of copper alloys. You can also use an eraser to clean them. These are much better than dipping. It is best to leave coins alone as cleaning with soluble elements can further damage the coin.
Thanks again for the information, I may try the soft rubber suggestion as the coins are not expensive to replace.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 20:18.