Identification of Roman coins- where do I start?

5 posts
Hello!
I got a small Roman coin from what I believe is the Roman Empire and I’d like to identify it.
But looking through all 75 pages of the catalog just seems a little too time-consuming.
Where do I start with identifying my coin, or any Roman coin for that matter?
I’m not looking for the answer here, I like to sleuth and find out for myself, but I’d like to learn the process of finding out the answer.

How do you identify a Roman coin?
光復香港 時代革命
五大訴求 缺一不可
Liberate Hong Kong, Revolution of our times
The Numista catalogue is very limited when it comes to ancient coins. I recommend using WildWinds, just write the text found on the coins obverse or reverse into WildWinds search engine. The name of the emperor should be on the obverse.

Or you can post photos of the coin here and I or another member will identify it. :)
I collect and deal in ancient Roman coin. In case you're looking for affordable ancient coins or need any help with the coins you already have send me a message.
Steve27 has recommended this excellent page recently:

Roman Coin Attribution Toolkit
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Awesome. Thanks for the link, Camerinvs!
I recommend some caution using Wildwinds, the database is nice with pictures but has many errors.
forumancientcoins is pretty good and the excel files with reverse attributions are quite accurate.

You may also have a look to the ANS database (some minor mistakes once in a while but if you tell them they correct pretty quickly).
Sapientiae plerumque stultitia est comes.
Si c'est un grand plaisir d'être reconnu par ses amis, c'est peut-être encore plus flatteur d'être reconnu par ses adversaires.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 16:39.