Menu

Tips for cleaning coins

TamiWact
Hello

I am looking for tips and tricks to clean my coins, I have a great variety.

For example, I saw a video explaining that silver coins can be cleaned with toothpaste and charcoal powder.

Bronze =?
Silver = toothpaste + carbon
Copper-nickel =?
Nickel-brass =?
Nickel =?
Zinc =?
Steel =?
Gold =?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hola

estoy buscando consejos y trucos para poder limpiar mis monedas, tengo una gran variedad.

un ejemplo, vi un video donde explica que las monedas de plata de pueden limpiar con crema dental y polvo de carbon.

Bronze = ?
Silver = crema dental+carbon
Copper-nickel = ?
Nickel-brass = ?
Nickel = ?
Zinc = ?
Steel = ?
Gold = ?
radrick007
Quote: "TamiWact"​For example, I saw a video explaining that silver coins can be cleaned with toothpaste and charcoal powder.

​That must have been some kind of video nasty, whatever you do, don't apply any such compounds to silver coins or any other kind of coins for that matter.

Our teeth are covered by a layer of very hard enamel. Coins, however, are generally made of quite soft metal which will mark and scratch very easily.

You will find that most numismatic enthusiasts will advocate against any kind of coin cleaning, anytime, anyhow. However, there are some that will suggest some light 'conservation' in the case of unwanted contaminants (dirt, moisture, adhesive, etc.). This will generally be on a case by case basis and if you are proposing to clean any of your coins, I would respectfully suggest that you post pictures of both sides of the coin(s) in question and perhaps explain why it is you want to clean them.

Hope this helps :)
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon

Catalogue referee for Celtic Britain, England, United Kingdom, New Zealand & Pre-Union South Africa
sarikanair
It is not advisable to clean highly graded, rare or valuable coins as it will eventually reduce its grade. You can clean all coins with water. You can use a weak soap or a non-abrasive liquid solvent to clean coins. Use a soft–bristled brush or a soft towel to wipe your coins. Finally dry your coins using a soft cloth.
TamiWact
Muchas gracias por la información, ha sido muy útil.

Thank you very much for the information, it has been very useful. :wiz:
neilithicman
All I do to mine is to soak them in a little Isopropyl alcohol and then gently rubbing them clean with a soft cotton pad. That will remove most grime and grease but leave the toning of the coin intact.
What? Me Worry
adanieluy
Quote: "neilithicman"​All I do to mine is to soak them in a little Isopropyl alcohol and then gently rubbing them clean with a soft cotton pad. That will remove most grime and grease but leave the toning of the coin intact.
​Yeah, that is the best for all metals, but rub them only if needed. Isopropylic alcohol eliminates grease and softens grime, and also takes off humidity. For valuable coins is advisable to put in capsule or 2x2 cardboard frames once all alcohol have evaporated.
There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary, and those who doesn't.

Catalog Referee for Uruguay, Cuba, Bolivia, Puerto Rico
co-referee for Brazil, Curaçao, Cayman Islands, Netherlands West Indies, Saint Eustatius, Sint Maarten
blue-m
Agree with all above. I would add that the soft cloth should be 100% cotton. Also for base metal coins that have minimum value, acetone is another possibility for ridding coins of built up grime without getting rid of natural toning. The other possibility is just to wait for a nicer looking coin.
Ryurazu
toothpaste + carbon

O.o terrible, unless they are common melt value coins
As it ruins the surface for many high grade and even mid grade collectors.
Ryurazu
toothpaste + carbon

O.o terrible, unless they are common melt value coins
As it ruins the surface for many high grade and even mid grade collectors.

If the they are non proof best way to clean without dmg and no wipe or hairlines is to use a sonic dish washer, with non chlorinated water or distilled water.
jimpop
A brilliant pad (or similar) will bring up a lovely shine to the coin...

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 04:03PM.