Menu

help to identify currency

TamiWact
Hi

I need help to identify or understand how to differentiate this currency, I understand that there are 4 varieties but as I identify them, I am looking at the currency for some double letter on the edge but I do not see it.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces37168.html

kommodore
Nope, it refers to the fact that you can read the lettering either with reverse up or with obverse up.
It's something normal for all coins that have incused edge lettering.
That should not be considered a variant of the coin.
TamiWact
Thanks for the information, but I can not identify the 4 varieties that correspond. Annex images, if it is possible that someone can help me identify it.

Oklahoman
You first need to identify whether or not you have AB or AA in the water by the end of the ship with the dragon head. Then you can determine if you have A or B edge lettering.
kommodore
It's an AA, it appears in front of the ship in the water
Essor Prof
Yes, it appears in front of the ship, not at the end of the ship like Oklahoman said, BUT it's not AA but AB like you can see in the enlargement:

Now you take your coin with the side with the denomination upwards. Is the edge lettering readable now, then you have a position A. Is the edge lettering upside down now, then you have a position B.
Oklahoman
The letters ARE in the WATER at the END of the ship with the DRAGON head. Just as I said they would be. I agree that they appear to be an A and a B. At this point it should be easy for the edge lettering to be determined to be be A or B.
Essor Prof
Oklahoman, don't tell me the dragon head isn't at the bow side of the ship, or am I so wrong?

Edit: My bad, it was a translation mistake (because I'm not native English speaking). I took your END literally as the "back side" but you meant the "extremity", so both the front and the back are ends. So you meant the letters are at the extremity where the dragon head is. Now I also understand why you were mentioning the dragon head so explicitly. You were just talking about "the end where the dragon head is".
Oklahoman
You are not wrong. But I was not wrong either. The boat on the coin has two ends, the end with the dragon head, and the other end. I qualified which end to look at, and then specified that it was the water at that end. There is literally innumerable ways to say the same thing in english. I was as basic as I thought I should be since the OP didnt seem to be a native speaker.
The last thing I would do is correct anyone's use of any language. I've travelled the world enough to realize that there are many ways to say the same thing.
Essor Prof
Yes, I figured it out finally myself too (see my edit in my previous post). But I was still editing my previous post when your reply came.
Hahaha, in the END we understood each other, right.
Oklahoman
True. And honestly, as a child of a landlocked state, who never saw an ocean until my 20s...I am not surprised when someone has a more nautical knowledge of English than I do!

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 04:11PM.