Austrian collector

9 posts
Hello I am Petr. I am 10 years old and live with my parents in Austria.

I want to start collecting coins and would like to know from where to buy the coins?

Has anybody got recommondations?
Welcome to Numista!

You can start by asking around friends/relatives if they have any old or foreign coins lying around that you could have, and if you look around there might be a local weekend flea market that has coins for sale around where you live- that's how I started at least, and while it might sound mundane, remember that oak trees do grow from acorns! ;)

Good luck.
Hello and thank you.

Yes i got a few coins from my grandpa after he died.

I went to a coin shop in vienna after school and they offered me 1 Euro per coin. Is that a fair price to sell?

Where can i buy more valueable coins?
Quote: "Petr"​Hello and thank you.

​Yes i got a few coins from my grandpa after he died.

​I went to a coin shop in vienna after school and they offered me 1 Euro per coin. Is that a fair price to sell?

​Where can i buy more valueable coins?
Not at all, since those silver coins are worth at the very least their bullion value (e.g. 7.12 € according to the Numista page of one of them)!

You can Google for coin dealers in Vienna, but depending on how much you have available to spend some of the higher end ones might not be for you:
https://www.google.com/search?q=coin+dealers+in+vienna&oq=coin+dealers+in+vienna&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.3184j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Or alternatively you could put those coins for swap here on Numista and there's probably someone with what you want who wants what you have.
Quote: "Petr"​Hello and thank you.

​Yes i got a few coins from my grandpa after he died.

​I went to a coin shop in vienna after school and they offered me 1 Euro per coin. Is that a fair price to sell?

​Where can i buy more valueable coins?

​I hope you didn't sell them. 1 Euro per coin is not fair, as those are much more valuable than 1 Euro each. You can find their value on this site and on other websites. Your grandpa left you some very nice coins.
Welcome to numistic petr.

I suggest you keep those coins in front of your album. Your grandpa leave you very nice coins that is worth keeping. I hope you slowly collect the coins that you like. So that in future you will not regret that your grandpa pass you some coins but you keep it and the coin has valued over time.
Be kind to people. Sharing is Caring. Collect what you like and not by the Crowd.
To seek for perfection, it is too painful and there is a very high price to pay. To seek for something comfortable is more easy. To seek for nothing is even more easy.
I’m truly shocked that a dealer can straight faced steal from a kid; that person is just begging for bad juju. If it was an adult who didn’t know better than to do some basic research, that’s a different story, but this...

anyways, I was also 10 yrs old back in 1993 when my neighbour gave me a special Indian collector coin to encourage me. He died long ago, but that coin he gave me is still very much with me and I will never sell it even if I do so with the rest of my collection (it’s worth about 150$ now too). Honour your grandpa and hold on to those coins, everything else is fair game ;)

that said, take your time and do some research before you buy any coins. Not only should you go to a dealer with an idea what the fair price is, but you may réalisé you like some kinds of coins more than others, and it’s a good idea to focus on something relatively small. You’ll thank me later when you find that it isn’t pinching as much as it could have on your wallet down the road (or in your case your allowance?)
Outings administrator
Hi Petr: whatever you do, don't take the coins out of their capsules. This proves that the coins are of Uncirculated grade. As said by CassTaylor, bullion value (= the market price of silver) is the absolute bottom price for these coins, but for an Uncirculated grade, collectors will readily pay more.

Keep in mind that a coin dealer has a living to make, and his 'business model' is to buy coins cheap and sell for more. That's no blame, but just the way things are (but €1 each is really unethical!). When you directly turn to a fellow collector (and do a swap, for instance), you will probably get more value in return.

That said: If I were you, I would keep the coins until you have developed an idea which way you want to go with your new hobby.

Enjoy collecting and welcome to Numista!
I might be a little slow on the uptake here, but why do you want to sell coins when you stated you want to collect coins.
The coins you were given are a great basis to start out on, what could be a very eventful and enjoyable journey.
I started 55 years ago, and still find it fascinating.
Since I started, we have seen the introduction of many new ideas within the numismatic hobby. New metal, bi-metallic, tri-metallic and different shapes amongst them.
Keep these coins you were given, and you will never regret it. Sell them and soon you will regret selling them, as they belonged to a family member.
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 20:00.