Menu

Banknotes on Numista - questionnaire

» Quick access to the last post

Jarcek Numista team
Hello banknote lovers!

I have a few questions for you and for the sake of discussion.

First of all, obvious question. Would you want banknotes on Numista?

Secondly, how do you imagine that being done? Where they will be placed, new country list, new site etc.?

Third question - would you be interested in making it happen? This means building entire catalogue from scratch, that means quite a lot of work.
Catalogue administrator, Referee for Kingdom of Bohemia. You can also support me on Patreon if you wish. (Link on profile page)
CassTaylor
About time! :D

1) YES! (duh!)

2) Either new country list below the coins one or new sister site (Notista) altogether.
It would be fairly confusing to try to list banknotes in the same issuers as coins since some issuers share banknote issues while having different coins of their own, or vice versa (e.g. Banque d'Indochine notes issued for the French Pacific until the 1960s). Even on Colnect they have different issuer lists for banknotes and coins.

3) I just made my 6000th edit earlier this week, sign me up! B)
Oklahoman
1. Yes.
2. We already have a table of contents. Just add to the list. Example: Gibraltar, Gibraltar notes, etc.
3. Keep them on this site so we can use the swap feature and also swap coins with notes.
4. I would love to help!
derf
1) Absolutely

2) Sister Site as long as it is based on Numista .. Notes have different specs and stats than coins. It would be less confusing ..

3) Would be more than willing to help ..
? Format  Format  Format ?   ?
Do not argue with ignorant people .. !! They will drag you down to their level, then pulverize you with experience ...
BramVB
1) Yes, YES, YEEEEEEEES (how load should we say this?)

2) I would prefer to keep them in the same site, so you can combine coins and banknotes in a swap. But as notes have different specifications, they get another type op page end will thus form a separate section, with separate issuers, separate statistic page (or separate section on the "my collection"-page)

3) Of course I'd also want to spend time on that catalogue (they don't seem to take up some of my suggestions I've been doing in Co**ect, I'm sure here they will be :D)

BTW Jarcek, what "sake of discussion" are you talking about? Is there light at the end of the tunnel or are we still looking for the entrance of the tunnel? :~
Just call me Bram
Jarcek Numista team
Let't say we are looking at the tunnel.
Catalogue administrator, Referee for Kingdom of Bohemia. You can also support me on Patreon if you wish. (Link on profile page)
ngdawa
1) Do I even have to answer that? ;) (The answer is ANO, btw :D)

2) Personally I think a new site is better, even if this mean A LOT of work. The reason for this is since just a small part of all members are interested, and would be very upset if banknotes were mixed in. I've always had a vision to do like banknotebank and omnicoin has it. One account for both sites, and a link to the ther site, without having to log out and log in again (see pic).

3) I'd gladly help to build the catalogue, but I have no knowledge in building a website. We've already had some proposals how the website and catalogue could look like.

Sign me up!
BramVB
Quote: "Jarcek"​Let't say we are looking at the tunnel.
​Yes! We've found the entrance :8D

Count me in to bring torches and a pickaxe along to explore it further.

edit: totally unintended pun: "pick"axe :°
Just call me Bram
David52
Sure, if it's set up right I'd use it. My main collection is American banknotes. I save by Federal Reserve and date. Which means I save every first letter of the serial number (A-L) by date. German euro the same each letter mean a different county printed it. So far the only one that comes close is realbanknotes.com. You just need to put in your own pictures of your banknotes which OK too, if you are planning on swapping so the swapper is able to see what he or she is getting. Just my two cents worth.
American collector living the life in Germany
JRo69
1) Yes, I am interested.
2) a) Add a "banknotes catalog" tab on the Numista header, which mirrors the one for coins.
Add a "My Banknotes" tab for your personal collection. Mer
JRo69
Quote: "JRo69"​1) Yes, I am interested.
​2) a) Add a "banknotes catalog" tab on the Numista header, which mirrors the one for coins.
​ b) add a "My Banknotes" tab for your personal collection.
c) Merge the banknotes into the exchanges.
d) Merge the banknotes information into other sections of this site as needed, just as you added a banknotes tab in the Forum.
3). Yes, I will help add to the catalog in any way necessary. Maybe we can break it up into sections assigned to different people - like someone enters France notes and someone else enters Australia banknotes. A collective approach will work, as it has done for other implemented changes.

Idolenz

Idolenz
1. Yes yes yes
2. In my opinion a mirror site would be best (don't know if swap engine can or should be merged)

artist impression
3. Yes, even if it's only data from catalogs (too few own banknotes)
P.S.: with ngdawa you probably already have most of the modern issues :O

But one question I have always with banknote sites. How do they deal with legal banknotes? Unlike coins they sometimes are copyrighted and more import high resolution scans of valid notes could be against the law
(eurion is not there for only shits and giggles).

ngdawa
Quote: "Idolenz"Unlike coins they sometimes are copyrighted and more import high resolution scans of valid notes could be against the law

​What do you mean? That it's illegal to scan your banknote and share the scan? Don't worry, it's not. :)
BramVB
Quote: "ngdawa"​2) Personally I think a new site is better, even if this mean A LOT of work. The reason for this is since just a small part of all members are interested, and would be very upset if banknotes were mixed in.
​Have you seen the amount of (active!) members reacting on all the notista posts? I have the feeling there are more coincollectors also into paper/cotton/polymer than there are not. Of course they should not be mixed up, we need some order, but I guess having them on the same site won't hurt that many people's feeling (I think a lot of the exonumia/tokens are hurting more feelings).

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic69057.html
https://en.numista.com/forum/topic79850.html
https://en.numista.com/forum/topic74914.html

Maybe we should have a vote to see how many are/are not into foldable currency?
Just call me Bram
Idolenz
Quote: "ngdawa"​​What do you mean? That it's illegal to scan your banknote and share the scan? Don't worry, it's not. :)
​Do you also have something to back this up? I am realy not against this project but if I where the person where the official court orders would arrive I would like to see it black on white.
Every terms of use I have seen require low resolution images ≤72dpi and/or the word SPECIMEN plastered across the picture.

https://rulesforuse.org/

Saber82
Quote: "ngdawa"
Quote: "Idolenz"Unlike coins they sometimes are copyrighted and more import high resolution scans of valid notes could be against the law

​​What do you mean? That it's illegal to scan your banknote and share the scan? Don't worry, it's not. :)
​It depends on where you live and post in. https://www.mas.gov.sg/currency/Using-Images-of-Singapore-Currency

I am not against people who post banknotes photos. But I am against people who post those banknotes under uv lighting to display the security features. You use to see these photos from the mint. These days, they do not show the actual photo due to security reasons. I suggest people who love those uv photos to keep them out of Internet reach.
Be kind to people. Sharing is Caring. Collect what you like and not by the Crowd.
To seek for perfection, it is too painful and there is a very high price to pay. To seek for something comfortable is more easy. To seek for nothing is even more easy.
martins.lv
1. Yes
2. Would be good to keep it in Numista in one or another way. With a purpose to combine the swaps of coins and banknotes together. There shall be technically possible to make a possibility to hide banknotes part for those, who does not collect them.
3. I worked on catalog when it was necessary for myself (when I got new coins, not added yet). Recently I became a referee for Latvia. Added 2 coins, that's all what our Central Bank issued in that time I am referee. And as I swap also banknotes, yes, I will take a part in creating the catalog.
ngdawa
Quote: "Idolenz"
Quote: "ngdawa"​​What do you mean? That it's illegal to scan your banknote and share the scan? Don't worry, it's not. :)
​​Do you also have something to back this up? I am realy not against this project but if I where the person where the official court orders would arrive I would like to see it black on white.
​Every terms of use I have seen require low resolution images ≤72dpi and/or the word SPECIMEN plastered across the picture.

https://rulesforuse.org/
​sites like banknotebank and banknote museum would've been shut down long time ago if scans of banknotes weren't allowed, as well as every single wikipedia page that displays banknotes..also, all banknote catalogue would be illegal..
ngdawa
Quote: "BramVB"
Quote: "ngdawa"​2) Personally I think a new site is better, even if this mean A LOT of work. The reason for this is since just a small part of all members are interested, and would be very upset if banknotes were mixed in.
​​Have you seen the amount of (active!) members reacting on all the notista posts? I have the feeling there are more coincollectors also into paper/cotton/polymer than there are not. Of course they should not be mixed up, we need some order, but I guess having them on the same site won't hurt that many people's feeling (I think a lot of the exonumia/tokens are hurting more feelings).

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic69057.html
https://en.numista.com/forum/topic79850.html
https://en.numista.com/forum/topic74914.html

​Maybe we should have a vote to see how many are/are not into foldable currency?
​a survey was made on fb and less than 10% had an interest in a numista banknote site..

edit: also, if you look through the links you posted, you'll notice it's always the same people writing..
CassTaylor
To be fair, 5 or 10 active members who want a banknote catalogue à la Numista and are willing to work for it means a lot more than X amount of dead ghost accounts not contributing anything!

And expanding into banknotes could enrich the community by drawing in notaphilists who collect solely banknotes. <:D
Oklahoman
A not insignificant number of us collect both coin and note.
derf
Quote: "Oklahoman"​A not insignificant number of us collect both coin and note.
​And what do you base your opinion on speaking for all of us ...  ???

I collect coins, banknotes, some stamps, post cards and postal stationary ....

IMHO ... there has been so much conversation and debate about banknotes on Numista for so long, and with Xavier not planning on doing it, has disenchanted many members and remain silent ... Just saying ...
? Format  Format  Format ?   ?
Do not argue with ignorant people .. !! They will drag you down to their level, then pulverize you with experience ...
Australian Coin Info
1) Yes!

2) The way I see it being done is to have the banknotes being added in the same catalogue and currency divisions as coins. I would also suggest having a feature in the search and at the top of the page to show either coins, banknotes or both.

3) I would be very happy to create the banknote catalogues for the countries and issues I referee for. I feel this should not be overly time consuming or difficult as there are a significant less amount of banknote types than coin types (at least for my countries).
Referee for Australia, Israel, Judea, Palestine and Persian satrapies
Check out my Instagram account @Australian_Coin_Info
https://instagram.com/australian_coin_info/
Oklahoman
Derf. All I said was that a lot of us collect both notes and coins. I am allowed to say that. I'm sorry that you did not understand my native english. I wasnt speaking for everyone. I was just pointing out that a lot of us collect coins and notes. And your response after acting all offended was to agree with me! Why would you criticize me and then agree with me?
GiannaReggio
Here there are my answers
1) YES
2) it could be a unique site, but when you open the catalogue page you should see three sections
coins tokens/exnomia. Banknotes
the name of the states and of the issuers should be the same, as well as there should be the same the registration of users ( in this way the reputation built out of exchange will be the same)
and it will be possible to manage swaps of coins for banknotes and viceversa
3). It will tackle time, but since now there are so many users it will be not a huge time
furthermore banknotes are less than coins and so the catalogue will be smaller
CirculableCoins
CassTaylor
Quote: "GiannaReggio"​furthermore banknotes are less than coins and so the catalogue will be smaller
​I have to disagree- if we take into account notgeld and local bank issues I'd estimate the "complete" banknote catalogue would be at least two or three times bigger than the coin catalogue.

Even without unofficial issues banknotes are a lot cheaper to design and issue than coins, so many entities throughout history that did not issue coins have their own banknotes.

Still, that shouldn't be a problem if we have a motivated workforce. :)
ngdawa
Quote: "CassTaylor"​Still, that shouldn't be a problem if we have a motivated workforce. :)
​which we have, no doubt!
AmerSalmeh Numista team
- Yes
- same website, different portal, kind of like colnect?, or separate website heavily integrated with numista
- slowly, yes
Catalog Master Referee & Referee for most Arab countries
https://www.instagram.com/amer.coins
Amer Salmeh
StaffyGirl
1) Yes please!!!

2) I’ll leave this to more experienced members...I’m only new

3) Yes
Dave Angel
Hi all.
Also new here, I like the ease of getting around & reading this site.

Yes, great idea for a numista/notista

I honestly have no idea about building websites or databases, more than happy to post my banknote pics though.
"I have banknote fever"
Indomini16
I don’t collect banknotes but I am used to swap them. Therefore I am open to help to creat pages if I can :-)
Always look on the bright side of life!
Oklahoman
Keep responding, please.
neilithicman
1) No - The site crashes often enough already without doubling the content on it

2) Create a sister site rather than adding notes to this site
What? Me Worry
Salaction
I also think a sister site like mentioned before would be best, notista.

Willing to help where I can, no programming skills, but can add the banknotes and all info about them of course.
agnumista
Guess, I am all for it .. I collect coins, banknotes and stamps .. so would love a consolidated site for the coins and banknotes and I can try to help in whatever limited capacity I can ...

However, one thing that I do find when I collect banknotes (and maybe I am crazy) is that I also collect same notes issued in the same year (or a series) since they have different serial numbers :)

That usually puts a dent in the plan .. right now I am trying to build a collection using Excel (but was thinking of an MS Access DB) for my personal collection - just have a fraction of my banknote collection catalogued that way (same is the case with my coin collection - I collect by year and mint).
Numismatist uk
Another proponent of a sister site myself, I believe Numista should remain a numismatics site however would love an alternative to Colnect. The Numista style and layout however should be maintained for pure aesthetic and practicality reasons but with differences tailored to banknotes where necessary.
                                           Coin collector and Silver stacker
              'We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.'
                                                      Sir Winston Churchill
Moecyslack
They could add a 'my notes' or 'my banknotes' tab and have it take you to an identical (but differently named) site for notes. You would have the same world map and everything else but for banknotes'. If they put a link on the home page it will be accessible to people who aren't members but want to look for something in the catalogue.
Oklahoman
I hope we have responded enough to this for the powers that be to consider. Had we started, we might have had several hundred created banknote pages so far!
ngdawa
Quote: "Oklahoman"​Had we started, we might have had several hundred created banknote pages so far!
​At least! Imagine we would've got an "OK" already back in 2013. It would probably be more complete than Numista by now.
owatchman
1) Yes.

2) I like the idea of Notista, a sister site to Numista. Could have the link in the tabs in the banner. I really like Idolenz' proposal.

3) I would be very willing to help.
blue-m
Quote: "ngdawa"
Quote: "Idolenz"

​​​Do you also have something to back this up? I am realy not against this project but if I where the person where the official court orders would arrive I would like to see it black on white.
​​Every terms of use I have seen require low resolution images ≤72dpi and/or the word SPECIMEN plastered across the picture.
​​
​​https://rulesforuse.org/
​​sites like banknotebank and banknote museum would've been shut down long time ago if scans of banknotes weren't allowed, as well as every single wikipedia page that displays banknotes..also, all banknote catalogue would be illegal..
​Here in Thailand it is illegal to produce images of banknotes that are the same size as actual notes. Images that are displayed for the public must have express approval from the Bank of Thailand. That being said I don't think there is a lot of violations being prosecuted. Still it would be wiser to obtain permission and one should not assume that other sites and catalog producers have not obtained permission to use images.
worth
Yes, a banknote component would be great.

Being able to swap from both as a single swap would be the most important feature. Whether it’s then the same or a separate site isn’t that important to me.

yes, i have been collecting notes longer than coins and have a large collection I would immediately begin adding
BSmith
This topic (banknotes on Numista) was discussed countless times and nothing happened, but let's hope this time there will be something...

1, Yes
2, Doesn't matter as far as we can select coins and banknotes in the same swap.
3, Yes
Numista almost-referee for Hungary (two-time winner)

» Top of the page

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 04:17PM.