Menu

Coin identification help

7 posts
fireplug
Hello! I have been going through stuff that belonged to my dad (recently deceased); and found this coin. I know NOTHING about coins, but this site was recommended for its broad knowledge base.

Can anyone advise me what it is, or is it an old token from a carnival?

Thanks!
klei92
So, the "thing" you have is 8 Reales from Spain colonies, much probably from Bolivia, because of desing.

The thing is that even is possible to match the coin to some links here, its not exactly the same, but i dont have enought knwoledge to say sharply its not a real coin or tell that its a fake... whatever... I leave you some links below to check it: Felipe IV, Felipe V, Fernando VI, Carlos III

As always, Weight, diameter... measurements always help to identify (for good or for bad). By the way, it should be silver, try to test if its.

Edit: I oriented a bit better your picks, cant do it 100% because if i do that, half coin will go out of frame 0:)

Se queres ca muller che queira, ten diñeiro na carteira
fireplug
Quote: "klei92"​So, the "thing" you have is 8 Reales from Spain colonies, much probably from Bolivia, because of desing.

​The thing is that even is possible to match the coin to some links here, its not exactly the same, but i dont have enought knwoledge to say sharply its not a real coin or tell that its a fake... whatever... I leave you some links below to check it: Felipe IV, Felipe V, Fernando VI, https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces37396.html" rel="nofollow">Carlos III

​As always, Weight, diameter... measurements always help to identify (for good or for bad). By the way, it should be silver, try to test if its.

​Edit: I oriented a bit better your picks, cant do it 100% because if i do that, half coin will go out of frame 0:)

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the guidance. I'll check it out now that I have a direction to look!​
fireplug
A couple of better pics, after a gentle cleaning (just in case it has value).

numisquare
Based on the photo, this is from Lima mint L, mint official H, year 1708.
It could be either:
8 Reales (silver). In this case the date is always the last three digits (708) and appears in the bottom middle portion of the grid H | 708 | L .

or 8 Escudos (gold). In this case the last three digits of the date are spread among the three bottom portions of the grid 7 | 0 | 8 .

This coin appears to be a copy.
fireplug
Thanks.
PetrusAscanus
indeed a replica
https://www.sedwickcoins.com/fake_cobs.htm
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
Topic locked (Numista Robot, 9-Nov-2019, 06:25AM)

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 01:06AM.