Unknown Object

14 posts

» Quick access to the last post

I got this in a bulk lot, and Have no idea what it was used for. Any ideas?

Thanks, John
Unfinished die plate?
Looks like someone pressed a circulated V-Nickel into an aluminium sheet
Quote: "Idolenz"​Looks like someone pressed a circulated V-Nickel into an aluminium sheet
​Yep
Quote: "oggy"
Quote: "Idolenz"​Looks like someone pressed a circulated V-Nickel into an aluminium sheet
​​Yep
​But, if so, the design would be incused.

And how thick is this thing??
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Quote: "Camerinvs"​​But, if so, the design would be incused.

​And how thick is this thing??
​Might just be the good old illusion.

Johnspa, is the design pressed into the aluminium sheet or is it raised up from it?
光復香港 時代革命
五大訴求 缺一不可
Liberate Hong Kong, Revolution of our times
look at the direction of the light and the shadows and you will see that it is incuse
I'm very bad with the "good old illusion" but here I'm simply unable to see it incused.

Look at the points of brightness, especially in the upper part. I can't see how the reflection of the light could be thus if the letters are incused.
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
I John, could it be an ink pad stamp? Very interesting.
It is, what it is, or is it.
Quote: "ALLRED1950"​I John, could it be an ink pad stamp? Very interesting.
​Why would someone want to stamp a nickel onto anything?

And even so, I imagine that parts of the coin would not be as high as other parts therefore you wouldn't get a full print of the coin.
光復香港 時代革命
五大訴求 缺一不可
I saw something similar done with a Lincoln Cent. I don't know the process, but the guy who did it owns a machine shop.
Quote: "HongKongCoinCollector"
Quote: "ALLRED1950"​I John, could it be an ink pad stamp? Very interesting.
​​​Why would someone want to stamp a nickel onto anything?

​And even so, I imagine that parts of the coin would not be as high as other parts therefore you wouldn't get a full print of the coin.
​►​ ​Exactly: this is not a print block because the surface needs to be entirely flat.

​► And yet, in the old days, print blocks were used for all images in many publications. In the 1980s (or early 1990s?) the printers of the Canadian Numismatic Journal modernized their equipment so that the old blocks became obsolete, so they gave them away. If you're lucky, you could find some old blocks in an antiques store or a bookstore specializing in old/antique books.
Thanks for all the replies. Ill have to dig it out again, but I would guess about 1/8" thick.
Quote: "Camerinvs"​​​► And yet, in the old days, print blocks were used for all images in many publications. In the 1980s (or early 1990s?) the printers of the Canadian Numismatic Journal modernized their equipment so that the old blocks became obsolete, so they gave them away. If you're lucky, you could find some old blocks in an antiques store or a bookstore specializing in old/antique books.
​Interesting. It is said you learn a new thing every day. I guess this is it ;)
光復香港 時代革命
五大訴求 缺一不可

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 11:28.