Menu

2 hard to identify ancients [solved]

alfonz
Hello, I received two nice ancient coins today but both are hard to identify for me so Iam asking you here for help:

The first one is a coin from the Sassanid Empire. Weight: 2,87g Diameter: 26mm max. . Its my first coin like this and I have no experience in identifying those:

The second is a byzantine 12 Nummi coin. Weight: 4,74g Diameter: 16mm max. . There is sadly just a small part of the emperors legend left, I think I can read ...US ?(not sure about that letter) PP ...

Thank you for any help.
Seeker55
The Sassanian coin looks like

Khusro I (531-579 AD), AR Drachm

about the middle of this page

http://beastcoins.com/Sasanian/Sasanian.htm

Facing bust, head right, wearing merlon crown with tassel to left and surmounted by crescent with |||: inside single dotted-border, crescents at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock

Fire altar with two attendants standing facing, wearing tall headgear, both hands on sword hilt, all inside single dotted-border

Göbl SN, Xusro I, IIc/2 (Plate XII/196-198); Valentine 44v

Perhaps someone more expert in Sassanian coins than me can help you with the regnal year and mint, or you might be able to decipher them with the coin in hand and the guide given on the cited web page

The Byzantine 12 nummi looks like it might match SB 247 on

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sb/i.html

Justinian I, AE 12 nummi, 527-565 AD, Alexandria. DN IVSTINIANVS PP AVG, pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right / Large I-cross-B, mintmark AΛEZ (Alexandria). SB 247
numisquare
I lean toward this being a Justin II coin from the Alexandria mint. The split legend beginning at the forehead with NVS PP A... , not ANVS PP A... is the reason for this suggestion.
Seeker55
That's certainly possible. Justin II would be coin SB 389 from the same Wildwinds page cited above.
Alfonz, perhaps with the coin in hand you can match one or the other.
alfonz
Thank you for your help, I think Khusro I and Justin II are the right ones. The mintmark of the sassanid coin looks like the Fars one.
Nice to have one of the more important rulers on my first sassanid coin :)
Status changed to Solved (alfonz, 16-Aug-2019, 06:15AM)

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 05:42AM.