need pro opinions. massive error Kennedy Half..? [solved]

4 posts
got this in a yard sale box of random old stuff today mixed in with some wheat pennies & foreign coins...

it is a Kennedy half. but about 30% of the top of the coin is missing, it is about half as thick as a regular Kennedy half showing the copper core. on the copper core side. the center has a milled center circle on it with even rings in it.
the edge of the coin is open. .. it has a hollow internal ring all the way around the rim about 1/8 - 1/4 inch deep .. even al the way around. but it has some gunk jammed in it in spots I need to clean out..

I laid it on a standard Kennedy half it is the same size. details on backside line up perfectly with a standard Kennedy half..

no clue what it is.. I have been collecting coins since I was about 10. .so 21 years now. .never seen anything like this..
not sure if it is a massive error or some kind of trick coin..

any help or linked info will be greatly appreciated.
I had it for sale on a website and a collector told me to end the auction and get it authenticated because he also thought it looked like a massive error and that I should get it authenticated.

figured you guys ( and gals ) would be the best all around way to get good advice on it.

Very interesting ....
It called my attention the top part seems to have been cut, it's not tore or fractured, and is very noticeable the "cut" follows the shape of the ribbon and wings. also it seems the edge is all cut too .

I think it was worked to make a magician coin (trick) and maybe something went wrong and was discarded, or jut not ended.

The copper side seems to have been worked in a lathe, and been so thin I believe also maybe someone was trying to do a fake error coin, like a mule or a 2-same-sided coin ... who knows.

Even maybe they were trying to do something with the coin, I have a round shaped lighter, with half Kennedy on sides, but all copper, so I think was not used a real coin, but a copy.

I don't know if it should be sent to authenticate, but for sure I would keep it.

Please let us know if you find something about it.
Just 10 options: you understand binary, or you don't.
Catalog Referee Coins, Banknotes & Exonumia: Uruguay, Cuba, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Peru, Paraguay, Costa Rica, Venezuela, Panama, Ecuador, Zamunda, Parva Domus and more.
Yeah I think you're right. I've seen the magician's coins before where they have been hollowed out to make space to hide a smaller coin inside. It looks like they're tried to do that, given up, then tried to cut out the Eagle emblem on the coin (cuts go down the top of the wings and across the top of the "E Plurubus Unum" logo) then given up on that too.
What? Me Worry
Topic moved to "Numismatic questions" (ZacUK, 30-Aug-2019, 06:13)
I think mystery is solved.

I just received a trick coin I have bought, and seems to be same thing.

The hollow around is to place a rubber band, so both parts stay together, and when free, coin will seem to be complete.

In your coin, I think the cut between both parts followed the wings line to hide the cut.

I can't explain why on side was machined in lathe, but it shows that the coin was original; mine is not, as is all white metal (no copper inside).
Just 10 options: you understand binary, or you don't.
Catalog Referee Coins, Banknotes & Exonumia: Uruguay, Cuba, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Peru, Paraguay, Costa Rica, Venezuela, Panama, Ecuador, Zamunda, Parva Domus and more.
Status changed to Solved (ZacUK, 4-Sep-2019, 19:22)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 14:26.