Menu

Search truly messed up

12 posts

This message aims at: reporting a bug

Votes: 0
bigger
I just joined Numista and looking at its functionality. The search functionality is truly messed up. Lowers the usability of Numista instantly.

An illustrative example:

Let's search for the United States 1936-D 50C San Diego in various ways. Selecting United States and typing 1936 San Diego into the free form search field, outputs the correct single issue. Now type commemorative instead. Classic and modern commemorative U.S. coins are listed but not the 1936-D 50C San Diego. Why not?

The 1925 50C Vancouver is, however, listed. Looking at its detail data, I see that the field "Commemorated event" is filled in with 100th Anniversary of the Founding of Fort Vancouver, which is shown under the heading "Commemorative issue" on the coin's overview page. The same field for the 1936-D 50C San Diego is filled with California-Pacific Exposition. Why does the search term commemorative find the former but not the latter?

Next I want to search for all classic U.S. commemorative coins minted from 1892 and 1954. The Year field in advanced search allows one to define the date range. However, where is the free form field in the advanced search form? What's the point of having an advanced search form which leaves out a field of the simple search form? How to search for the before-mentioned coin series?

Next I want to add a criterion for my wish list for the U.S. commemorative coins minted from 1892 to 1954. A variant of the advanced search form appears in that section. How set the aforementioned coins as a criterion for my wish list?
numinis
Maybe you should try the Advanced search field "Coin type"? There you can select commemoratives only.
Also the Advanced search has the "lettering" field.
Not sure if this helps.
ūūūūū
bigger
Both the United States 1936-D 50C San Diego and the 1925 50C Vancouver have set Type of coin = Non circulating coin. Hence, that field is not of much help.

Only one United States commemorative coin has been entered with having commemorative or similar workding on the coin itself: 1991-D $1 Korea, a modern commemorative.

In the mean time, I have found the cause of the problem: Field labels are not treated correctly in the search function. I illustrate this best with another example. The data model has a field named "Demonetized coin", it's of type checkbox with Yes, No and Unknown as data options. Searching for demonetized brings up a set of coins, however, only those who happen to have demonetized in a descriptive text field. Most demonetized coins are not listed. The case with commemorative coins arises from the same type of problems.

In search functions the field labels must be included, especially for those fields like checkboxes and the declaratory "Commemorative issue" field where the data is intertwined with the field label.
Idolenz
THIS search should contain everything you want. If something is missing the coinpages should be looked at for missing information or mistakes respectively the coins have to be added.

bigger
The second issue is even more serious. The current "Advanced search" is misnamed. In reality it's an alternative field-based search. Numista doesn't have an advanced search function currently.

Advanced search is a search functionality, which extends (not replaces) the simple search functionality. In other words, all search functionality of a simple search function must be present in an advanced search function, with the latter adding additional search functionality.

A good example is Google. Google's simple search is the single search field when first calling up Google. When you inspect Google' Advanced search (under Settings), you will find again the simple text search (with more granular control) next to the more advanced search options.

In my humble opinion, must developmental effort should be directed to the search algorithms. What point of assembling all the data if you cannot search for some of it.
bigger
Quote: "Idolenz"THIS search should contain everything you want. If something is missing the coinpages should be looked at for missing information or mistakes respectively the coins have to be added.
No, your search query only finds incidentally the classic U.S. commemorative coins. Indeed, it would even be sufficient, and result-wise more accurate, to set Coin type = Non circulating coin (leaving away Coin type = Circulating commemorative coin).

Searching for U.S. classic commemorative coins is just an example, among many, to illustrate the fundamental "field label with data intertwining" issue of the current search algorithm. The "Demonetized coin" field is another example.
bigger
Let me put this forward more succinctly with single sentences and screenshots.

Even though the United States 1936-D 50C San Diego is identified in the data as a commemorative coin, searching for commemorative or similar expression does not find it.

bigger
Even though the Switzerland 1850 2 Rappen is identified in the data as a demonetized coin, searching for demonetized or similar expression does not find it.

Status changed to Solved (Xavier, 22-Sep-2019, 05:14PM)
Xavier Site admin
Hello,
You may now use words like "demonetized", "circulating" or "NCLT" in the simple search.
bigger
Quote: "Xavier"​Hello,
​You may now use words like "demonetized", "circulating" or "NCLT" in the simple search.
​Xavier, seems to work well. Thanks.
afpcoins
Quote: "bigger"
​Next I want to add a criterion for my wish list for the U.S. commemorative coins minted from 1892 to 1954. A variant of the advanced search form appears in that section. How set the aforementioned coins as a criterion for my wish list?

​Bigger,

As far as I understood no search criteria in "Adv. Search" which could let you fetch your wish coins with combination of other filters. I raised that suggestion earlier in the forum (pls, see link below)
If you need this feature pls, support it.

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic84458.html
Best regards,
afpcoins
bigger
Quote: "afpcoins"​​​Bigger,

​As far as I understood no search criteria in "Adv. Search" which could let you fetch your wish coins with combination of other filters. I raised that suggestion earlier in the forum (pls, see link below)
​If you need this feature pls, support it.

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic84458.html

​Mine is not immediately related to "wish coins" but is a more general observation on the search functionality, noting, for instance, that (1) a simple search ought to be a subset of an advanced search and (2) that field labels and data are so intertwined that they both must be included in search. The latter has been addressed but the search functionality still appears to be a difficult to manage patchwork assembled over many years.

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 02:32PM.