Is the Hobby of Numismatics losing interest in the younger generations your opinion?

11 posts

» Quick access to the last post

I started collecting since I was 12 years old at 2017, I'm about to be 15 at November, from what I see, my 13 year old cousin is the only young Numismatist I met besides myself, most of my classmates are too interested on social media, I'm scared that this beautiful Hobby will die at the next generation of children.
I like cheese
I would say no. I’m turning 15 this month and I see more and more kids around 7-13 going and following their parents to coin shows and their LCS. As long as the current numismatist pass on their collection and hobby to their kids, the hobby should be ok.
Quote: "KLiao"​I would say no. I’m turning 15 this month and I see more and more kids around 7-13 going and following their parents to coin shows and their LCS. As long as the current numismatist pass on their collection and hobby to their kids, the hobby should be ok.
​Interesting, I've never been to a Coin Fair because my parents aren't interested in numismatics.
I like cheese
Quote: "TexanCharizard"
Quote: "KLiao"​I would say no. I’m turning 15 this month and I see more and more kids around 7-13 going and following their parents to coin shows and their LCS. As long as the current numismatist pass on their collection and hobby to their kids, the hobby should be ok.
​​Interesting, I've never been to a Coin Fair because my parents aren't interested in numismatics.
​I had to drag by dad to the first one. But now he happily comes along since he is trying to complete a graded set of $2.5 Indians so he looks and what he wants (the $$$ expensive things) I look at my cheap budget coins.
I went to our local biannual show in Calgary this weekend. It was mostly the grey haired set but there were a few kids (6-8) there. I saw one boy who had a large denomination bill from his father and was looking around to see what was available for him. He wasn't just grabbing anything but was thinking about what he wanted. We all survived our youth and I am sure the next generation will be good. The hobby will diminish when all our transactions are by electronic exchange and coins and bills no longer fill our pockets. As long as we have the memory of money in our pockets the hobby will prosper.
Quote: "ThePoet"​The hobby will diminish when all our transactions are by electronic exchange and coins and bills no longer fill our pockets. As long as we have the memory of money in our pockets the hobby will prosper.
​I disagree, it might explode at that time, we are closing in on it too. I barely use cash for anything and none of my friends do. Its supper annoying, if I loan them money, they never pay me back in cash but ask if I have whatever the latest money app is. Paypal is even old school now...
Taking a break from swapping for a while, but still interested in pre 1799 Spanish coins, I will make time for that!

Looking for pre 1783 coins
I am very optimistic as a person. I don’t think youngsters are losing interest in numismatics. In fact, they have access to more information now. They can interact and communicate with fellow collectors and coin lovers around the world with just a few clicks. They also have the option to join online communities. Getting information about events, seminars, exhibitions, and auctions isn’t very difficult either. I think technology and internet has changed the scenario a lot..
Most children are no digitalized little zombies who demand instant gratification and have attention spans aproaching zero. I'm not some old coot who criticizes the young. I taught for some time and saw things decay gradually until near total freefall nowadays.

Home-schooled children are a much different story, which is why I suppose home-schooling is being outlawed in certain countries (Germany, Sweden).
-Just a taxpaying serf in Amerika
i dont think so, when i started in 1999 at 10 only one other kid at school did it and i thought the same thing. It was with the US state quarters release, nickels and pennies redesigns that i learned just how many other kids did it too. Ive always felt that this is one of those hobbies people rarely talk about. Esp. when everyone else is into the major fads, back then it was pokemon cards today its youtubers. Doesnt help most kids dont have the cash to simply walk in a store and grab a morgan dollar. from what i gather most kids (myawlf included) started out with change finds.
Quote: "ebec89"​i dont think so, when i started in 1999 at 10 only one other kid at school did it and i thought the same thing. It was with the US state quarters release, nickels and pennies redesigns that i learned just how many other kids did it too. Ive always felt that this is one of those hobbies people rarely talk about. Esp. when everyone else is into the major fads, back then it was pokemon cards today its youtubers. Doesnt help most kids dont have the cash to simply walk in a store and grab a morgan dollar. from what i gather most kids (myawlf included) started out with change finds.
​I started collecting because a friend of mine was moving to Wyoming, and she gave me two coins from UAE and Canada as a memory, but very interesting!
I like cheese
Quote: "redsmithstudios"
​​. Paypal is even old school now...
​Nooo, I am too young to read something like this! :snif:
Catalogue administrator

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 23:47.