Menu

Another " Cleaning silver coins " subject: ways to clean with photos

alnke
Hello guys!
I will reopen the topic how to clean properly silver coins without damaging it.
First of all, i know it is better to not clean them. But when you have some coins on you almost can't see the year, with a lot of dirt and corrosion on it (look at photos), you probably want them in better condition. We can say to prepare them for CONSERVATION. As you can see in the photos, my coins (silver.835) are pretty old and valuable, but in very bad condition.

I started to clean few coins especially in lemon juice. I changed the juice few times because it get dirty.

Now i put coins in the new juice and nothing happened. So, i can say, the dirt and corrosion on them is gone but the coins still have gray/black color.

Now the questions are:
1. The color of the coin is patina or is some bad corrosion who get in composition of material?
2. Why this color didn't gone from coins?
3. I should leave the coins like this or i should continue with cleaning process?
4. On some coins i have black spots which looks like they are in the material. What are those?

I opened a topic like this in a local website. There are participating a lot of collectors and i hope at the end we will have some good results in cleaning silver coins.

Thank you in advance for you participation!
neilithicman
You say you're cleaning your coins without damaging them and then proceed to soak them in acid...Sheesh

8)
What? Me Worry
alnke
I didn't know other method to clean them. Some people say clean with a eraser, coke, acid, toothpaste and toothbrush. This method i thought is better because i didn't action mechanic.
If you have other ideas, please share with us.
neilithicman
There are numerous threads on cleaning coins which it seems you know as you title your thread "Another" cleaning silver coins thread.

The advice myself and others give on all of them is to soak the coin in something that will remove the dirt but is not going to eat into the surface of the coin, generally I use Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and clean off the dirt with a cotton pad, others soak in acetone.
What? Me Worry
alnke
This method is new for me. I will try on some not so rare coins. Thank's for advice.
13coinmike
Since you have already ruined the coin, might as well use an acid cleaner. I use this on junk and for fun. It works really well. Just dip, do not scrub.
link below:
eZ Coin Cleaner

regards
Mike
13coinMike
Digger49
Citrus juice is acetic acid. You are damaging a coin with any acid. Distilled water, mineral oil and acetone are generally the only acceptable liquids to use. No rubbing is allowed. Read and learn about this topic before you ruin a valuable coin. There is much to know. Peace Roy
alnke
Thanks. I was thinking acetone is also damaging coins. It is ussually used to disolve things.
Digger49
Acetone is an organic solvent and does not react with coins. It is extremely flammable and evaporates quickly. Do not use nail polish remover as it often contains other ingredients. Use a small glass jar with metal lid. Be careful, acetone dissolves plastics. Qtips are perfect for patting and rolling coin surfaces.
sarikanair
It’s never advisable to use an acidic solution if you really want to preserve a coin. plain water, mild soap and acetone is much better as these wont corrode your coins...

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 10:37AM.