Menu

English Monarchs Set

gextyr
Having completed my one of each monarch of GB/UK "Acts of Union through present day" set, I decided to start on a Norman Invasion through Union of the Crowns and then through the Acts of Union monarchs sets. I already have a lot of the easy ones (Elizabeth I, Edward I, Henry III, etc.) but now I'm wondering what everyone here would consider a "complete" set. I'm only looking for one coin from each monarch - mostly planning to look for hammered silver pennies (with a few half groats, etc. thrown in, perhaps.)

My question is - would you consider the set complete if you have:
-a Edward IV 1st reign or 2nd reign, but not the other
-a Henry VI 1st reign, but not his 2nd reign (less than a year)
-no Edward V
-a Philip and Mary from after 1554, but no Mary I

Also, since I already have a number of Queen Anne coins from after the Acts of Union, but none dated before 1707... and since I'm not trying for a complete type set or anything (just one of each monarch), I think I can check her off the list.

I am new to middle ages/early modern English coinage... so this will definitely be a learning experience for me.
oggy Moderator
I am trying to build one of every monarch. No due is paid to reign or anything, simply 1 per monarch.
January First-of-May
Quote: "oggy"​I am trying to build one of every monarch. No due is paid to reign or anything, simply 1 per monarch.
​That's how I would do it - or, rather, I wouldn't pass on extra coins (if I can afford them), but I wouldn't consider them empty spaces that I need to look for either.

On the Mary question - I personally would consider a Philip and Mary coin to represent both Philip and Mary. If anything, I would probably consider a set that had Mary but not Philip incomplete!

As for Edward V - IIRC, the problem is not whether there were coins under his name, but whether they can be distinguished from Edward IV coins (as it appears that, for the most part, the mints just continued making the same Edward IV types, while pretending that the "Edward" mentioned on them was now a different one - they didn't put regnal numbers on coins back then).
I'm not sure what to do in this case; it surely seems preposterous to wait several years until one of the few coins actually attributed to Edward V comes to auction.

The big question I would have asked is Matilda: should a complete set include a coin of Matilda, or could it be considered "complete" with just Stephen?
(I'm assuming that the assorted barons don't count as monarchs.)
oggy Moderator
Quote: "January First-of-May"
Quote: "oggy"​I am trying to build one of every monarch. No due is paid to reign or anything, simply 1 per monarch.
​​That's how I would do it - or, rather, I wouldn't pass on extra coins (if I can afford them), but I wouldn't consider them empty spaces that I need to look for either.

​On the Mary question - I personally would consider a Philip and Mary coin to represent both Philip and Mary. If anything, I would probably consider a set that had Mary but not Philip incomplete!

​As for Edward V - IIRC, the problem is not whether there were coins under his name, but whether they can be distinguished from Edward IV coins (as it appears that, for the most part, the mints just continued making the same Edward IV types, while pretending that the "Edward" mentioned on them was now a different one - they didn't put regnal numbers on coins back then).
​I'm not sure what to do in this case; it surely seems preposterous to wait several years until one of the few coins actually attributed to Edward V comes to auction.

​The big question I would have asked is Matilda: should a complete set include a coin of Matilda, or could it be considered "complete" with just Stephen?
​(I'm assuming that the assorted barons don't count as monarchs.)

My rules for myself:

Edward V - Not needed
Matilda - Needed
Jane Grey - Not needed
Phillip and Mary - Need both (This is mainly due to the desirability of the absolutely beautiful Mary fine sovereigns, which are not attainable for my budget yet but I hope will be one day)
gextyr
Fantastic responses! Thanks.

"I wouldn't pass on extra coins" - Yes, although I have her penny, I also just bought a Lizzy three halfpence last week, because it also fits into my "odd denominations" collection as well.

Matilda... I suppose that's arguable, however, given the interesting history surrounding her, I'd say I need one. I don't see them come up for sale as often, but they do seem to be obtainable. I will probably get Stephen first, regardless.

Edward V... I read somewhere that there is some scholarship indicating that some "Edward IV" pattern coins can be given the "Edward V" attribution for some reason or other, but I'm not sure that it is widely accepted (e.g. - would NGC/PCGS agree on the attribution?) I am only collecting raw coins, so I think I'll exclude Edward V for now...

Mary... I think I will set her at a lower priority, since I already have a Philip and Mary. But ultimately, I would like one from prior to her marriage as well. Maybe not "required", but on the list regardless.
jimpop
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10162242632015383&id=683685382

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 10:39AM.