Menu

Canada Large Penny

10 posts
mcse0599
Hello -

I am new to the site, and also new to Canadian Pennies ... I'm just about done with the small penny, and just a few more large pennies to go ... in my search, I've been buying some small lots at decent prices to get one or two coins that I need, then selling off the extras to buy more ...

In one of those lots, I got an 1876 without the "H" mint mark ... I have only found info on 1876-H coins ... anyone have any info on this coin?

I have ordered the 2020 version of the Charlton Standard Catalogue, Canadian Coins, but it won't arrive here for a couple of weeks
Camerinvs
All 1876 large cents have an "H" mintmark. What you have is probably a filled die or a worn coin. We would need photos to say more.
••• ₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€. •••
mcse0599

Thanks for the quick response Camerinvs!

Here's a quick pic from the phone; the area below the date is smooth as silk ... no impression or depression.
Camerinvs
The picture is excellent when opened in a new tab (on a desktop). I'm pretty sure there's a faint "H" there:

It could be someone who planed it down to try to create a fake variety, but the toning is uniform everywhere, so I suspect it's a filled die.
••• ₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€. •••
mcse0599
Being new to this, what does that do to the value?

I'm only interested in date collecting, so where would I post this to find someone who would want it?
edduns
I also found one - wonder if it is real. Ed

Sorry I see now 1900 was minted with and without H mint Marks. Ed
Those who believe they can do something and those who believe they can't are both right.
- Henry Ford
mcse0599
The 1900 was minted both with (2.6 million), and without the H (1 million)
edduns
Quote: "mcse0599"​The 1900 was minted both with (2.6 million), and without the H (1 million)
​Cool I got the 1 million one. Ed
Those who believe they can do something and those who believe they can't are both right.
- Henry Ford
Camerinvs
On the 1900 cent, Ed, the mintmark is below the wreath, very small, but you're lucky twice because you have the "no H" variety anyway.

As for the value of a filled die, probably no more than a small premium. You just need to reach the right kind of collector. You can also have a look at what's out there, for example on eBay (via picclick). With errors some people think they have hit the jackpot and price their item at $200 when it's worth at most $15...
edduns
Quote: "Camerinvs"​On the 1900 cent, Ed, the mintmark is below the wreath, very small, but you're lucky twice because you have the "no H" variety anyway.

​As for the value of a filled die, probably no more than a small premium. You just need to reach the right kind of collector. You can also have a look at what's out there, for example on eBay (via picclick). With errors some people think they have hit the jackpot and price their item at $200 when it's worth at most $15...
​Twice a winner WOW thanks. Ed

- Henry Ford

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 01:36PM.