US Military Payment Certificates [solved]

10 posts • viewed 191 times

» Quick access to the last post

I bought a large bulk lot of coins and as a bonus there were also a lot of banknotes in various conditions, including these US Military Payment Certificates in rather heavily circulated condition. When I checked the Standard Catalog of World Paper Money. Specialized Issues for 2009 I found I had replacement notes based on the first letter of the serial numbers, specifically M61r ($1, 1965), M64r (5 cents, 1968), and M65r (10 cents, 1968). The only catalog values given are for UNC. I would be grateful for anyone's opinion on what values the notes could have in my condition. The catalog values given are M61r $1250, M64r $800, and M65r $375.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Will
Nice assortment of notes!

Uncirculated notes can bring a nice price at auction but catalog estimates often exaggerate the values.

Your notes are strongly circulated (I never assign point grades - let the photos speak for themselves) with folds and frays. They're still collectible, but not worth a ton. A lot of us actually prefer circulated notes by the way, they're more affordable! Having said that, there is a HUGE gulf in pries between circulated and uncirculated...

So I would say your notes are worth: US$10, US$1, and US$3 respectively.

The best price guide is to check ebay's SOLD listings.

PS: Can I ask where you got your auction lot? PM if you want...!
Thanks for the info, TCon. The lot came from a seller in New Orleans handling an estate. They do not normally handle coins and banknotes.

Will
I have done more research and I now think the notes I have are not replacement notes (catalog and Internet sources seem to offer different explanations of serial numbers) so they have minimal value but are still interesting.

Will
Quote: "Coinman48"​I have done more research and I now think the notes I have are not replacement notes (catalog and Internet sources seem to offer different explanations of serial numbers) so they have minimal value but are still interesting.

​Will
​I agree, I was told by one of my club members, who is a dealer, that the replacement notes don't have the letter at the end of the serial number.
Status changed to Solved (Coinman48, 24-Oct-2019, 16:14)
Thanks, Steve27.

Will
Hey - just for fun, here's a few of mine:

The US military notes are so much more beautiful than the regular notes.
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
Never seen any of them, so have to add it to my wants list. I have seen on the Colnect site, that there are many different series.
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
Looks good, being retired from the military I still have a couple I was issued being overseas. Don't know if they are worth anything but looking at them brings back memories. My brother was also in the military before me so they are even older and I got his too.
American collector living the life in Germany

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 02:59.