Menu

Slabing/grading - why bother?

17 posts • viewed 437 times
Jarcek Numista team
Hello there!

I have a question and hope someone can elighten me? Why are you guys sending coins to be graded (by NGC for example) ?

I understand it acts as some fore of authentification, in case you are in doubt if your coin is real, or it gets a bonus if you are to sell the coin, but otherwise, why are you doing that?

Best regards,
Jarek
Catalogue administrator, Referee for Kingdom of Bohemia. You can also support my work on Numista through Patreon if you wish: https://www.patreon.com/Jarcek
Topic moved to "Numismatic questions" (ZacUK, 2-Nov-2019, 08:12AM)
Kraeuter
Hi Jarcek,

I'm new here and can only speak to the few times I have done it. Much more than 99% of my collection is not graded/slabbed.

I wouldn't send a coin that I had doubts on to be graded - when I do it, it is to conserve the coin both physically and in terms of value. So for me it's like a form of extra protection for those items in my collection that I'm really proud of -- but the coin has to be worth more than the cost of the grading. My current favorite coin is a US Mercury Dime that has value only in its sliver.

Hope that helps!
johnspa
Here in the U.S. ,coins that are rare , low mintage, or commonly counterfeited, bring a premium if graded. Sometimes 4-5 times as much.People want to make sure of what they are spending big $$ on. Sometimes a rare coin wont sell unless graded, for fear of fakes.
In my opinion, they are the only types of coins that to send to be graded. Out of the 10,000 coins in my collection, I have maybe 25 that would benefit from grading.
Sjoelund
I'm like Jarcek, I wouldn't dream of having any of my coins slabbed. I'm collecting for the fun not for the value:D

Ole
Globetrotter
Coin variants in English:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
In French on Cobra's site (not the same)
https://monnaiesetvarietes.numista.com
Mr. Midnight
I think the authentication service is the only reason.
I dont really care about grade or resale. i hope never to re-sell any of my collection.
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
Saber82
Hi there, it depends on how 1 wants to collect. And below are the few reason.

1. Trying to complete a set of coins graded. Example a wheat penny. Say if 1 completes all types, and variants, and graded, it will be very plesent to look at the complete collection in a 9 page slab album. Instead of some been graded and some been ungraded.

2. Their own complete best collection. If 1 collected all the graded coins and their coins have very high grades, when they auction off the whole collection, it can goes from 10s of thousands to millions of dollars. It has to always depends on 4 factor for graded coins. Demand, popularity, mintage and grade population.

3. Their own version of best collection. Say have many of the variety and only selects the best to be displayed in their album before going into the normal coins.

4. Before graded, the value of the coin may be 100. After graded, with high grades, because of the demand, popularity, mintage and grade population factor, say the population of the highest grade is lowest dispite the mintage is high and very popular and in demand, the coin can goes to 300 onwards. It is possible even more when the demand is very high.

5. Like you mention just want to confirm the coin authentication.

6. Protect the coin. Slab it is also no way to remove the coin and prevent it from further human touch damage. Slabbing the coin does not prevent toning.

There is no hard rule. Just have to be logical and some common sense. There is no perfect collection so 1 must be happy on what he collects.
Be kind to people. Sharing is Caring. Collect what you like and not by the Crowd.
To seek for perfection, it is too painful and there is a very high price to pay. To seek for something comfortable is more easy. To seek for nothing is even more easy.
ThePoet
Check out videos by coinHELPu on YouTube. He explains his philosophy on why to do it. He has one about fake slabbers too. There is no guarantee a slabbed coin is not fake. My local dealer has showed me slabbed coins that would not meet his grading levels. Nothing beats your own knowledge. An honest dealer with years of experience is better than a slabbed coin.
neilithicman
Each to their own. If people like the look of slabs or like having the security of having a coin's authinticity/grading confirmed by a third party then let them slab their coins. Sometimes if it's a really expensive coin it's the best way to get top dollar when selling them because people will trust a slabbed coin from a trusted company over some random joe on Ebay saying "this coin I'm selling for $10,000 is genuine, believe me"

The tone of "why bother" is a little bit condescending, it's implying that your way of collecting/storing coins is the right way and anyone who does different is wrong.
What? Me Worry
German_empire5_mark_fan!
From my experience you shouldn't send any coins in to get graded unless the coin has a value above $300 or higher. Otherwise the coin might go for less then the values that some price guides place on it. Also a slabbed coin is more likely to sell quicker and sometimes might have a small premium on it. Other wise it is usually a waste of money in my opinion. But some people prefer to send their coins in to get slabbed because they either like how they look in a slab, for better storage, or just because they like the joy of seeing what grade their coin will come back in ,but in my opinion it is not really worth the 💰 unless you have a rare/expensive coin.

George
George Nigro
Jarcek Numista team
Quote: "neilithicman"
​The tone of "why bother" is a little bit condescending, it's implying that your way of collecting/storing coins is the right way and anyone who does different is wrong.
​It was not meant that way, sorry. I was just curious.
Catalogue administrator, Referee for Kingdom of Bohemia. You can also support my work on Numista through Patreon if you wish: https://www.patreon.com/Jarcek
Sjoelund
Quote: "Jarcek"
Quote: "neilithicman"
​​The tone of "why bother" is a little bit condescending, it's implying that your way of collecting/storing coins is the right way and anyone who does different is wrong.
​​It was not meant that way, sorry. I was just curious.
​How I understood it. It was just an innocent question "why slabbing".
Globetrotter
Coin variants in English:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
In French on Cobra's site (not the same)
https://monnaiesetvarietes.numista.com
neilithicman
Well the anwer is usually, because they want to. I'm not into slabbing myself but I can see why some people would want to.

I don't have the spare money to indulge in it, but I'm amused by the hobby of "Lowballing" where people send in really worn coins to be slabbed so they can claim to be the only person who has a coin in that grade from the grading company.
What? Me Worry
yvon
Maybe a little off-topic, but I do not like slabbed coins at all, it is like a bird in a cage or something.
The few slabbed coins, what i got, I liberated them.
...you can run,  but you can't hide...
Mr. Midnight
I am contemplating that - I just got a nice slabbed item for small money and I would rather it lay on green felt beside the rest of the set
swatdennis
As someone for who doesn't have a massive budget and grading is something that seems to be a super US thing... Plus it's crazily expensive IMO, the shipping and all that included costs more than 99.9999% of my collection (and even then I am talking about the coins that are worth more than 250 eur).

I got the Leuchtturm Quadrum square coin capsules and cut the black insert according to the size of the coin I need to put in one. You can get albums for them too, but you can stack them really easily, so I just have all of them in a drawer.
Moneytane
Like Neil said, Low balling is all the rage, everyone wants to have the only aGood 1921 S Morgan etc and even worse is that many Chinese fakers are selling fake slabbed coins, down to fake NGC and PCGS labels and the coins inside are usually cast metal fakes.

https://www.pcgs.com/news/counterfeit-pcgs-holders

And that was 11 years ago!

Yesterday at a club we discussed how slabbing could also lead to overgrading, one man mentioned a pile of slabs that had coins at AU and most were gVF at best. Generally given the cost and time it takes, the coin would have to be supa rare and expensive (Like multiple thousands and uniquo)

Is it or me, or am I not the only one that likes to hold a coin as well. A slab means its locked away for perpetuity.
I love coins, both old and precious and also change coins. If its round and shiny, it will garner my interest. I also collect stamps and have an abiding interest in History, Archaeology,  and Social Issues.  I also worship the musical god Prince.
Mr. Midnight
I recently endured a tirade from a very reputable dealer, an aquaintence of many years, with decades of experience, about the grading firms of coins, and banknotes. I wont relay his many concerns, some of them in litigation apparently, - suffice to say, the chinese dont have a monopoly on numismatic flim-flam.

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 01:39AM.