Menu

Slabing/grading - why bother?

28 posts • viewed 872 times

» Quick access to the last post

Jarcek Numista team
Hello there!

I have a question and hope someone can elighten me? Why are you guys sending coins to be graded (by NGC for example) ?

I understand it acts as some fore of authentification, in case you are in doubt if your coin is real, or it gets a bonus if you are to sell the coin, but otherwise, why are you doing that?

Best regards,
Jarek
Catalogue administrator, You can support my dream of becoming full time worker on Numista through Patreon if you wish: https://www.patreon.com/Jarcek
Topic moved to "Numismatic questions" (ZacUK, 2-Nov-2019, 08:12AM)
Kraeuter
Hi Jarcek,

I'm new here and can only speak to the few times I have done it. Much more than 99% of my collection is not graded/slabbed.

I wouldn't send a coin that I had doubts on to be graded - when I do it, it is to conserve the coin both physically and in terms of value. So for me it's like a form of extra protection for those items in my collection that I'm really proud of -- but the coin has to be worth more than the cost of the grading. My current favorite coin is a US Mercury Dime that has value only in its sliver.

Hope that helps!
New to swapping - bear with me! More coins up for swap soon.
johnspa
Here in the U.S. ,coins that are rare , low mintage, or commonly counterfeited, bring a premium if graded. Sometimes 4-5 times as much.People want to make sure of what they are spending big $$ on. Sometimes a rare coin wont sell unless graded, for fear of fakes.
In my opinion, they are the only types of coins that to send to be graded. Out of the 10,000 coins in my collection, I have maybe 25 that would benefit from grading.
Sjoelund
I'm like Jarcek, I wouldn't dream of having any of my coins slabbed. I'm collecting for the fun not for the value:D

Ole
Globetrotter
Coin variants in English:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
In French on Cobra's site (not the same)
https://monnaiesetvarietes.numista.com
Mr. Midnight
I think the authentication service is the only reason.
I dont really care about grade or resale. i hope never to re-sell any of my collection.
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
Saber82
Hi there, it depends on how 1 wants to collect. And below are the few reason.

1. Trying to complete a set of coins graded. Example a wheat penny. Say if 1 completes all types, and variants, and graded, it will be very plesent to look at the complete collection in a 9 page slab album. Instead of some been graded and some been ungraded.

2. Their own complete best collection. If 1 collected all the graded coins and their coins have very high grades, when they auction off the whole collection, it can goes from 10s of thousands to millions of dollars. It has to always depends on 4 factor for graded coins. Demand, popularity, mintage and grade population.

3. Their own version of best collection. Say have many of the variety and only selects the best to be displayed in their album before going into the normal coins.

4. Before graded, the value of the coin may be 100. After graded, with high grades, because of the demand, popularity, mintage and grade population factor, say the population of the highest grade is lowest dispite the mintage is high and very popular and in demand, the coin can goes to 300 onwards. It is possible even more when the demand is very high.

5. Like you mention just want to confirm the coin authentication.

6. Protect the coin. Slab it is also no way to remove the coin and prevent it from further human touch damage. Slabbing the coin does not prevent toning.

There is no hard rule. Just have to be logical and some common sense. There is no perfect collection so 1 must be happy on what he collects.
Be kind to people. Sharing is Caring. Collect what you like and not by the Crowd.
To seek for perfection, it is too painful and there is a very high price to pay. To seek for something comfortable is more easy. To seek for nothing is even more easy.
ThePoet
Check out videos by coinHELPu on YouTube. He explains his philosophy on why to do it. He has one about fake slabbers too. There is no guarantee a slabbed coin is not fake. My local dealer has showed me slabbed coins that would not meet his grading levels. Nothing beats your own knowledge. An honest dealer with years of experience is better than a slabbed coin.
neilithicman
Each to their own. If people like the look of slabs or like having the security of having a coin's authinticity/grading confirmed by a third party then let them slab their coins. Sometimes if it's a really expensive coin it's the best way to get top dollar when selling them because people will trust a slabbed coin from a trusted company over some random joe on Ebay saying "this coin I'm selling for $10,000 is genuine, believe me"

The tone of "why bother" is a little bit condescending, it's implying that your way of collecting/storing coins is the right way and anyone who does different is wrong.
What? Me Worry
German_empire5_mark_fan!
From my experience you shouldn't send any coins in to get graded unless the coin has a value above $300 or higher. Otherwise the coin might go for less then the values that some price guides place on it. Also a slabbed coin is more likely to sell quicker and sometimes might have a small premium on it. Other wise it is usually a waste of money in my opinion. But some people prefer to send their coins in to get slabbed because they either like how they look in a slab, for better storage, or just because they like the joy of seeing what grade their coin will come back in ,but in my opinion it is not really worth the 💰 unless you have a rare/expensive coin.

George
If a lie is told often enough it becomes the truth.
-my father
Jarcek Numista team
Quote: "neilithicman"
​The tone of "why bother" is a little bit condescending, it's implying that your way of collecting/storing coins is the right way and anyone who does different is wrong.
​It was not meant that way, sorry. I was just curious.
Catalogue administrator, You can support my dream of becoming full time worker on Numista through Patreon if you wish: https://www.patreon.com/Jarcek
Sjoelund
Quote: "Jarcek"
Quote: "neilithicman"
​​The tone of "why bother" is a little bit condescending, it's implying that your way of collecting/storing coins is the right way and anyone who does different is wrong.
​​It was not meant that way, sorry. I was just curious.
​How I understood it. It was just an innocent question "why slabbing".
Globetrotter
Coin variants in English:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
In French on Cobra's site (not the same)
https://monnaiesetvarietes.numista.com
neilithicman
Well the anwer is usually, because they want to. I'm not into slabbing myself but I can see why some people would want to.

I don't have the spare money to indulge in it, but I'm amused by the hobby of "Lowballing" where people send in really worn coins to be slabbed so they can claim to be the only person who has a coin in that grade from the grading company.
What? Me Worry
yvon
Maybe a little off-topic, but I do not like slabbed coins at all, it is like a bird in a cage or something.
The few slabbed coins, what i got, I liberated them.
...you can run,  but you can't hide...
Mr. Midnight
I am contemplating that - I just got a nice slabbed item for small money and I would rather it lay on green felt beside the rest of the set
swatdennis
As someone for who doesn't have a massive budget and grading is something that seems to be a super US thing... Plus it's crazily expensive IMO, the shipping and all that included costs more than 99.9999% of my collection (and even then I am talking about the coins that are worth more than 250 eur).

I got the Leuchtturm Quadrum square coin capsules and cut the black insert according to the size of the coin I need to put in one. You can get albums for them too, but you can stack them really easily, so I just have all of them in a drawer.
Moneytane
Like Neil said, Low balling is all the rage, everyone wants to have the only aGood 1921 S Morgan etc and even worse is that many Chinese fakers are selling fake slabbed coins, down to fake NGC and PCGS labels and the coins inside are usually cast metal fakes.

https://www.pcgs.com/news/counterfeit-pcgs-holders

And that was 11 years ago!

Yesterday at a club we discussed how slabbing could also lead to overgrading, one man mentioned a pile of slabs that had coins at AU and most were gVF at best. Generally given the cost and time it takes, the coin would have to be supa rare and expensive (Like multiple thousands and uniquo)

Is it or me, or am I not the only one that likes to hold a coin as well. A slab means its locked away for perpetuity.
I love coins, both old and precious and also change coins. If its round and shiny, it will garner my interest. I also collect stamps and have an abiding interest in History, Archaeology,  and Social Issues.  I also worship the musical god Prince.
Mr. Midnight
I recently endured a tirade from a very reputable dealer, an aquaintence of many years, with decades of experience, about the grading firms of coins, and banknotes. I wont relay his many concerns, some of them in litigation apparently, - suffice to say, the chinese dont have a monopoly on numismatic flim-flam.
Tonysc
Just bought a 1913 $10 Canada Gold coin. It's slabbed but wanting to break it out. I bought it because I wanted the coin and would just as well have bought it without it being slabbed. I did my research and paid a fair price for it.
adanieluy
I don't like slabbed coins, I like to be able to look directly and touch them, measure, weigh, as much in capsules, if is a valuable or proof coin, so it is protected and well presented.

For me a slabbed coin is like to have a Hi-res 3D picture of the coin.

On the other hand, slabbed coins have much higher price than free ones, specially in my country, cause is needed to send it, pay slabbing and round post service. If is a valuable coin, you would want to send and receive back certified; all this would add at least USD 40/50 to coin cost (not necessarily to value).

As said above, is better a honest and serious coin dealer (that usually became a friend), than a grading service.
There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary, and those who doesn't.

Catalog Referee for Uruguay, Cuba, Bolivia, Puerto Rico
co-referee for Brazil, Curaçao, Cayman Islands, Netherlands West Indies, Saint Eustatius, Sint Maarten
Pcoetzee5
I have send two coins off to be graded and slabbed, my first two. The reasoning behind it is that these are rare coins in very good condition and I would like to keep their condition secure.

It might even be that I end up selling them, then at least I can get a good price. However, I do own some slabbed coins that I obtained through Ebay, or via swaps and from a friend of mine who has his coins slabbed.

So "why bother"? I know my friend likes to know the "condition" of his coins, as he collects very specific. Personally, I think like Ole that I collect for the fun, and will in future only send coins that are rare, up to a point, and some rare coins that I might want to sell. The slabbed coins simply take up too much space.
Ex-South African now living in Germany
manny57
Numista? Means? As a collector you want top grades? My coin / better than yours bla blabla!
​​​​​​Also collecting? We all hope THAT rarity like 1 million dollar coin!
Also investment is in coins ms67 and above
Pcgs:/ncg grading companies? Biggest auction companies demand coins graded above mentioned companies.
Collection for your pleasure/ very different investment.
Hope info helped 👍
manny57
Quote: "johnspa"​Here in the U.S. ,coins that are rare , low mintage, or commonly counterfeited, bring a premium if graded. Sometimes 4-5 times as much.People want to make sure of what they are spending big $$ on. Sometimes a rare coin wont sell unless graded, for fear of fakes.
​In my opinion, they are the only types of coins that to send to be graded. Out of the 10,000 coins in my collection, I have maybe 25 that would benefit from grading.
​Hi!Grading coin? imagine 1945 dime fsb ms67+?? Would be worth grading as price 😃 auctions high;!
NGC/ PCGS? High price coins they get higher bids
Your question WHY grade coins?
If you have 100-0000$ coin for sale?
😭😭 You need get it graded.
Auction house right now only accept pcgs/ NGC coins graded
Hope information helpful
Ciin
You might want to slab coins to make sure they are not damaged if they are coins sentimental to you, such as the first silver round you found.
alfred1
coin collecting is a tactile hobby in which the owner of a coin can hold history in their (gloved) hand, you can hardly get that feeling with the coin in a plastic coffin. personally i never ever send coins to be graded and slabbed, and if i buy one in a slab i liberate it immediately on getting it home.
we do not own our coins, we are merely guardians of them for future generations.
pennyholic
Gee, how about sending a coin that is slabbed to get CAC sticker.
CAC will approve coins that are accurately graded and are in the top 20% of the that grade. You then get a sticker😀
Docarooche
Here in the U.S., almost everybody slabs every coin worth over $200 - $300. It's a bit excessive. Yet, that's the custom over here, and most wouldn't dream of NOT grading and encapsulating a high value coin. It's not only expected, but market values are heavily dependent on grades.

Buying or trading coins is also facilitated by grading. Instead of a seller telling a prospective buyer "it's a great coin, totally clean", the buyer has the confidence of knowing the coin was evaluated by an independent 3rd party, which might find several flaws the seller didn't disclose or didn't even see. I would never buy an ungraded coin over the internet unless I knew the seller well, and had return privileges. A slabbed coin eliminated all that guesswork.

There's one other major benefit: preservation. The slabs offer excellent protection from the elements. There was even a major fire here in California that burned an entire city to the ground. But coins that were slabbed - despite suffering damage -- protected the coins perfectly. (Fire was in Paradise, CA; the story covered widely by NGC and PCGS)

With respect to grading/encapsulating, I understand the U.K. is just the opposite: very few grade their coins. Nothing wrong with that either. But it will severely limit your ability to market the coins to anyone in the U.S., that's all. Seems like most collectors over here are total perfectionists.... to a fault.
Oklahoman
I wanted my one known coin authenticated. Now there are 12 known. But mine is the first and authenticated. It is probably the only coin I will ever send in.
German_empire5_mark_fan!
Quote: "Oklahoman"​I wanted my one known coin authenticated. Now there are 12 known. But mine is the first and authenticated. It is probably the only coin I will ever send in.
​what coin is it?
If a lie is told often enough it becomes the truth.
-my father

» Top of the page

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 06:58PM.