Trying on ancient and medieval coins

12 posts • viewed 458 times

» Quick access to the last post

G'day all!
I've been on a break from coin collection for about two years now - but I've kept my banknote collection alive.

I've been wanting more and more to collect ancient and medieval coins. Since I'm lacking knowledge in this area, I have a fear to be spending big money on fake ones. Of course I want coins with good details and readable legends, but I don't really trust the "authentic coin!" listings. I also have no idea what a fair price would be, so the chance of overpaying is pretty high, I'm afraid.

I thought I would add a few pics here on coins I've been keen to buy for a while now. Please let me know if the are any warning signs, and also, if possible, an estimated range for a fair price.

Thanks!
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
Here are some I've been looking at:

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

11)

12)

13)

14)
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
Such high grade ancient coins will cost you a lot but if you have the founds it takes then go for it. However I do advise doing a lot of research before buying, especially high grade coins.

When it comes to coins in such high grade I would only buy them if they had a certificate of authenticity from a reputable source. Most ancient fakes are easy to spot however some are so good they even fool experts. Buying them off ebay without a certificate is a big no in my opinion. Even if the coin comes from a reputable seller it is possible they don't know they're selling a fake, I saw this happen multiple times.

Also, I suggest picking a theme and sticking to it. The coins in your post come from a wide time span without much in common. Maybe stick to one dynasty or time period.
I collect and deal in ancient Roman coin. In case you're looking for affordable ancient coins or need any help with the coins you already have send me a message.
Quote: "cro321"Most ancient fakes are easy to spot however some are so good they even fool experts. Buying them off ebay without a certificate is a big no in my opinion. Even if the coin comes from a reputable seller it is possible they don't know they're selling a fake, I saw this happen multiple times.

I often feel that "this coin is in too good condition for its age", and then I don't buy it. I don't want to miss the oportunity if they actually are authentic.

I've even seen fake certificates, which makes things even harder more me. I barely trust anyone whn it comes to certify if a coin is fake or authentic. That's why I asked here, to get more inputs, like yours, and also to get more opinions in the matter. If nothing is too obvious I might give it a go.
Quote: "cro321"Also, I suggest picking a theme and sticking to it. The coins in your post come from a wide time span without much in common. Maybe stick to one dynasty or time period.
Yeah, I know. But this is the biggest problem with me. I just can't stick to one theme. How can I just say no to any of the coins above? How do you guys do that?
Quote: "ngdawa"
​​
​I often feel that "this coin is in too good condition for its age", and then I don't buy it. I don't want to miss the oportunity if they actually are authentic.

​I've even seen fake certificates, which makes things even harder more me. I barely trust anyone whn it comes to certify if a coin is fake or authentic. That's why I asked here, to get more inputs, like yours, and also to get more opinions in the matter. If nothing is too obvious I might give it a go.

The way certification goes in Croatian is you need a declaration from three independent experts about your coin and if all three accept it as genuine then you get a certificate of authenticity. If just one of the three shows doubt then you can't get a certificate.

It's not foolproof but it's in my opinion a lot better than various official shops where the only authority that gives his opinion on the coin is the shop owner.
Quote: "ngdawa"

​Yeah, I know. But this is the biggest problem with me. I just can't stick to one theme. How can I just say no to any of the coins above? How do you guys do that?
Personally I'm not a fan of such high grade ancients which makes collecting easier, not to mention cheaper. Don't get me wrong I like adding nice examples to my collection, especially nice portraits however I like a little wear on my coins, it adds character to them.

For instance that legionary denarius you added, it's a beautiful example however when I hold a coin like that I like to imagine all the rich history the coin saw through the ages. Maybe it was with a legionare during the civil war? Maybe a legionare lost it while gambling with another? Maybe Marc Anthony himself held the coin at one point? An almost UNC example like that one was probably stored or lost shortly after being minted and didn't see much.

However this is of course just my personal opinion and preference. :)

I collect only Roman large bronze coins from Augustus to the Crisis of the Third century since I like that time period in history and large bronze are in my opinion much more impressive than the small silver denarius. I try to collect at least one coin of each historical figure and focus on nice portraits. :)
I collect and deal in ancient Roman coin. In case you're looking for affordable ancient coins or need any help with the coins you already have send me a message.
It depends on the money, but if you aim for the cheaper ones, you can get medieval feeling without bothering about authenticity.
Catalogue administrator
I suggest you join here: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php

Then go here: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?board=9.0

And look at prices here: https://www.cngcoins.com/
Quote: "ngdawa"​Here are some I've been looking at:

​1)

​2)

​3)

​4)

​5)

​6)

​7)

​8)

​9)

​10)

​11)

​12)

​13)

​14)
​About the Greek ones :

1) Genuine : 500 to 800 euros
3) Looks weird : those coins have a high relief design, and usually even on mint exemplars the details on the fighters and the singer are missing, due to a die issue.
5) Looks good : 350 euros
11) Genuine : 1700 to 2500 euros because of the XF±++ condition
Quote: "KAISERKILLERfr08"
Quote: "ngdawa"​Here are some I've been looking at:
​​
​​1)
​​
​​
​​2)
​​
​​
​​3)
​​
​​
​​4)
​​
​​
​​5)
​​
​​
​​6)
​​
​​
​​7)
​​
​​
​​8)
​​
​​
​​9)
​​
​​
​​10)
​​
​​
​​11)
​​
​​
​​12)
​​
​​
​​13)
​​
​​
​​14)
​​
​​About the Greek ones :

​1) Genuine : 500 to 800 euros
​3) Looks weird : those coins have a high relief design, and usually even on mint exemplars the details on the fighters and the singer are missing, due to a die issue.
​5) Looks good : 350 euros
​11) Genuine : 1700 to 2500 euros because of the XF±++ condition
​Thanks a lot mate, I highly appreciate it! :wiz:
7) Looks ok. About 400-500€.
Referee for Spain, Iberia (ancient), Suebi Kingdom and Visigothic Kingdom
Quote: "zegeri"​7) Looks ok. About 400-500€.
​cheers mate! :)
I have 300+ Ancient AV coins....love them! My best bet for you....

go only to auctions like CNG/ Roma/ Kunker etc./ try to get high quality coins.
Here are a few of mine...

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 07:37.