Menu

Interesting Comparison

11 posts • viewed 269 times
brismike
It seems that Mints are going crazy about Alphabet coins. Australia's RAM started it in 2015, 2016 & 2017 with its Coloured Frosted Australian Animal Alphabet Series of $1 coins from A to Z. This was the first coin in the set ..... https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces73239.html

Then the UK's Royal Mint went and released their Quintisential British Alphabet series of 10p coins from A to Z in 2018 & 2019. This was the first coin in that set ..... https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces135493.html

Then the RAM and Aussie Post has responded with the Great Aussie Coin Hunt in 2019 . This is the first $1 coin in that set ..... https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces182501.html

Anyway here is a comparison of the coin subjects in the latest two series as released by the RAM and The Royal Mint from A to Z.

A for Australia Post ................................... A for Angel of the North
B for Boomerang ................................... B for Bond…James Bond
C for Cricket ................................... C for Cricket
D for Didgeridoo ................................... D for Double Decker Bus
E for Esky ................................... E for English Breakfast
F for Footy ................................... F for Fish & Chips
G for G’day ................................... G for Greenwich Mean Time
H for Hills Hoist ................................... H for Houses of Parliament
I for Iced VoVo ................................... I for Ice-Cream Cone
J for Jillaroo and Jackaroo ................................... J for Jubilee
K for Kangaroo ................................... K for King Arthur
L for Lamington ................................... L for Loch Ness Monster
M for Meat Pie ................................... M for Mackintosh
N for Neighbours ................................... N for National Health Service
O for Outback ................................... O for Oak Tree
P for Platypus ................................... P for Post Box
Q for Quokka ................................... Q for Queuing
R for Royal Flying Doctor Service .................. R for Robin
S for Surf Life Saving ................................... S for Stonehenge
T for Thongs ................................... T for Teapot
U for Ute ................................... U for Union Flag
V for Vegemite ................................... V for Village
W for Weet-Bix™ ................................... W for World Wide Web
X for Xantippe ................................... X for X Marks the Spot
Y for Yowie ................................... Y for Yeoman
Z for Zooper Dooper ................................... Z for Zebra Crossing

Shows how much the two countries are different in so many ways .. But we both had C for Cricket .... ;)

Cheers Mike
Co-Referee for Australia - I Collect - Australia, UK & Dependancies, Some NZ, USA & Euros. I also have other World Coins that I swap.
Cerulean
Armenia has also done an alphabet series.

I wouldn't be surprised if Canada announces one, too.
Ryurazu
Technically i personally don't consider them circulation coins as they were specially minted for the post office, i see they probably the same as the poppy red RSL, how i would be interested to know mintage numbers. There is also 2014-2016 baby aphlabet sets (gold coloured) and then from then on 2017 and 2018 are silver but they are NTLC.
iknw07554
Interesting...good way of getting children interested in collecting
brismike
Quote: "Ryurazu"​Technically i personally don't consider them circulation coins as they were specially minted for the post office, i see they probably the same as the poppy red RSL, how i would be interested to know mintage numbers. There is also 2014-2016 baby aphlabet sets (gold coloured) and then from then on 2017 and 2018 are silver but they are NTLC.
​The Aussie Coin Hunt coins were given out in change from the post office tills so they did go into circulation. You can buy them in an UNC card for $3 also.

The Baby alphabet coins were issued in 2015, 2016 and 2017 in Aluminium-bronze in Unc coincards and same years in Fine Silver, all in proof boxes.

Mike
Co-Referee for Australia - I Collect - Australia, UK & Dependancies, Some NZ, USA & Euros. I also have other World Coins that I swap.
DonChori
When they want to mint coins for making money out of it and they don't find any commemorative events anymore it is really convenient to use this: 26 new types of coins (of even better if you mint some in CuNi and some in silver) you can produce without having to think about an historic event. Bravo!
yvon
Quote: "DonChori"​When they want to mint coins for making money out of it and they don't find any commemorative events anymore it is really convenient to use this: 26 new types of coins (of even better if you mint some in CuNi and some in silver) you can produce without having to think about an historic event. Bravo!
​Exactly what I was thinking...!
...you can run,  but you can't hide...
Mr. Midnight
Quote: "brismike"​It seems that Mints are going crazy about Alphabet coins. Australia's RAM started it in 2015, 2016 & 2017 with its Coloured Frosted Australian Animal Alphabet Series of $1 coins from A to Z. This was the first coin in the set ..... https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces73239.html

​Then the UK's Royal Mint went and released their Quintisential British Alphabet series of 10p coins from A to Z in 2018 & 2019. This was the first coin in that set ..... https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces135493.html

​Then the RAM and Aussie Post has responded with the Great Aussie Coin Hunt in 2019 . This is the first $1 coin in that set ..... https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces182501.html

​Anyway here is a comparison of the coin subjects in the latest two series as released by the RAM and The Royal Mint from A to Z.

​ A for Australia Post ................................... A for Angel of the North
​B for Boomerang ................................... B for Bond…James Bond
​C for Cricket ................................... C for Cricket
​D for Didgeridoo ................................... D for Double Decker Bus
​E for Esky ................................... E for English Breakfast
​F for Footy ................................... F for Fish & Chips
​G for G’day ................................... G for Greenwich Mean Time
​H for Hills Hoist ................................... H for Houses of Parliament
​I for Iced VoVo ................................... I for Ice-Cream Cone
​J for Jillaroo and Jackaroo ................................... J for Jubilee
​K for Kangaroo ................................... K for King Arthur
​L for Lamington ................................... L for Loch Ness Monster
​M for Meat Pie ................................... M for Mackintosh
​N for Neighbours ................................... N for National Health Service
​O for Outback ................................... O for Oak Tree
​P for Platypus ................................... P for Post Box
​Q for Quokka ................................... Q for Queuing
​R for Royal Flying Doctor Service .................. R for Robin
​S for Surf Life Saving ................................... S for Stonehenge
​T for Thongs ................................... T for Teapot
​U for Ute ................................... U for Union Flag
​V for Vegemite ................................... V for Village
​W for Weet-Bix™ ................................... W for World Wide Web
​X for Xantippe ................................... X for X Marks the Spot
​Y for Yowie ................................... Y for Yeoman
​Z for Zooper Dooper ................................... Z for Zebra Crossing

​Shows how much the two countries are different in so many ways .. But we both had C for Cricket .... ;)

​Cheers Mike
​absolutely brilliant work!
edit to add - zebra crossing 😂
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
neilithicman
I would have thought Aussie would have had X for XXXX and F for Fosters ;)

And you really expect B to be for BBQ
What? Me Worry
brismike
Quote: "neilithicman"​I would have thought Aussie would have had X for XXXX and F for Fosters ;)

​And you really expect B to be for BBQ
​Lol . . you are right .. but I think they had to try to not use commercial companies and besides we drink a lot of wine in Australia now . :)

Also we could have had W for WiFi because that was invented by an Australian, but Weetbix has been around for a long time and is a loved breakfast cereal here.

Mike
neilithicman
Quote​Also we could have had W for WiFi because that was invented by an Australian, but Weetbix has been around for a long time and is a loved breakfast cereal here.
​Mike
​not exclusively Aussie though, we’ve been eating weetbix across the Tasman for decades. My boys go through boxes of it. You might recognise this ad with a change to the song

https://youtu.be/hyxJaeoY0-k
What? Me Worry

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 07:55AM.