Menu

What is the point to export if you cant import back?

14 posts • viewed 229 times
d426
Or i just miss something?
klei92
Despite i am only 1 year old here and i came here with that feature already working, I am going to give you a personal look to it.

I check my collection, more or less every 6 month, in case i lost something, added to the albums something that i didnt here, and a long etc. For me its much more handy to do that with an Excel than here in the Numista page (becasue in my work i ussually use that program, so i prefer to work with it).***

Also take in consideration that you can export your collection with a huge additional Information, not only the tipical "Issuer, contry and year". You have up to 26 fields of information related to your coins that you can download with this export feature, that for some users can be quite handy.

Another one, you can turn your Excel into a Word or PDF, and so, print it. Because some of us still like "the smell of paper in the morning". It can be handy for swaps in hand, etc.

... By now i dont have much more ideas to give you to see the luck we have having that feature, but probably there are much more :°

*** You have some more formats.
Se queres ca muller che queira, ten diñeiro na carteira
neilithicman
I guess it’s for people who want to add information to their collection that isn’t available on Numista, or organise it in some way other than by issuer.
What? Me Worry
andrewdotcoza
Exporting is a perfect way to back your data up from Numista. You cannot assume that Numista will always be here, so doing a monthly export and saving the file is a good way to preserve your collection data in a worst case scenario.
d426
Just if have option IMPORT will be much much handy
neilithicman
The coding to be able to import a collection as opposed to exporting would be far too complex.
What? Me Worry
Andy289
I don't know the design of this specific database but I worked far too many years as database developer and administrator to know that with a good database design things like import and export are trivial tasks. I don't really think it's a pain to create an import script but as I said, without seeing the actual database design it's just an assumption.
Idolenz
The import tool itself might be trivial to make but the user would have to adhere to Numistas catalog structure in their off-site data set ... so not much work saved (you must keep your list up-to-date, Numista combines coin pages, separates coin pages adds variants from many different sources etc.)

andrewdotcoza
I am a database designer and software architect.

In my opinion, it would be fairly easy to create a Numista import function that reloaded a Numista export to a new account, for example. But importing a new collection into Numista from a spreadsheet would be impossibly difficult because it would require the user to prepare their spreadsheet to a level of precision that is impractical, and unattainable.

So, we need to think carefully about what we are asking here. An export is very useful, even with no import function. An import function is a can of worms that would massively increase the support burden on the Numista team. I completely understand and support their decision not to have one.
Andy289
I understand too why there is no import function, what I point out is that the script itself it's an easy task but we don't have this feature because the implications are huge in terms of maintenance and usability.
andrewdotcoza
Quote: "Andy289"​I understand too why there is no import function, what I point out is that the script itself it's an easy task but we don't have this feature because the implications are huge in terms of maintenance and usability.
​Yes! You are completely right.
Mr. Midnight
Quote: "andrewdotcoza"
Quote: "Andy289"​I understand too why there is no import function, what I point out is that the script itself it's an easy task but we don't have this feature because the implications are huge in terms of maintenance and usability.
​​Yes! You are completely right.
​it’s a job of work- may be OP will volunteer 👍
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
d426
What exactly will be difficult. Export same base structure and import same .
That data base have only 8 parameters.

Coin:
Grade:
Quantity:
Buying value:
Private comment:
For exchange:
Public comment:
Collection:

You export / download in .csv and import same file with out changing a structure.
You will only edit that file like text information, add lines, ... what exactly will be DIFFICULT.
Something else if some one have collection in excel or google spreadsheets he wont lost time to CLICKING ALL DAY TO ENTER HIS COLLECTION AGAIN. Probably someone dint use that website opportunity for that reason.
Andy289
Just because you would proceed in that way it doesn't mean all users understand that and some will try to change the structure, to add more info and so on. Others will try to import same file n-th times, others will abuse this function in imaginable ways and I don't even talk about the fragmentation of database that will increase dramatically, like someone said, there should be hired a DBA just to keep the database operational. An export is a straight process without big implications, and export-import process is just a more complex thing and has a lot of implications.

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 04:19AM.