Menu

Indian coins? [solved]

9 posts • viewed 97 times
juliocoins
Hello

I got these 3 coins that are supposed to be from some of the old Indian States. Maybe someone could share more informations about them?
Many thanks!

Seeker55
Unfortunately the first two are known modern forgeries imitating coins of the Amirs of Sind. I have dozens of these. For one thing, the flans are much too round for that time period. Please see posting at
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=314331

The third coin looks authentic, possibly from one of the Sultanates. A weight and diameter would help with identification.
juliocoins
Thanks for your help.... unfortunately not very good news. I had no idea that those tiny coins could be a modern conterfaited thing.

Regarding the third coin it weights 16,18 gr. and it is 22 mm.
Seeker55
For your third coin, the weight and diameter allowed ID using a Zeno search.

https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=123468

Bahmani Sultanate, Kalim Allah Shah, AD 1526-1538, Gani, G&G BH161

The example in Zeno was struck the same on one side as yours, higher on the other side (remember the dies were bigger than the flans in those days). The example shown in G&G is a better match to yours.
Frenchlover
There is a strange and ununderstandable difference in writing scale between these two coins (Zeno and Numista) with the same reference G&G BH161

Numista referee for Ascension Island, Falkland Islands, Saint Helena, Saint Helena & Ascension, South Georgia & S. Sandwich Islands, Tristan da Cunha
Seeker55
I believe the difference lies in the striking position of the die on the side of the coin with the photos on the right. Using the straight horizontal line that runs clear across the coin as a reference point, the pattern on the upper coin is in a higher position and the lower coin is in a lower position. Adjusting for that, I believe they match. It is true that this is a greater difference in striking position than shown by most coins, and at first I thought the current coin wasn't a match for BH161, but now I do.
Frenchlover
There is a difference in striking position but there is also a difference in scale
Numista referee for Ascension Island, Falkland Islands, Saint Helena, Saint Helena & Ascension, South Georgia & S. Sandwich Islands, Tristan da Cunha
Seeker55
For coins of this era there were typically several different dies and diemakers, so often considerable variation.
juliocoins
Thank you all for the help in solving the problem.
Status changed to Solved (juliocoins, 13-Nov-2019, 01:25PM)

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 07:57AM.